Triplizers

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mseries, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Hi Does anyone know if it is possible to get some sort of triplizer to fit a 1999 Shimano Ultegra
    (9) double chainset ? Judging from the pictures it looks like the Stronglight one will not work as
    the inside face of the crank is not flush, there are 'shelves' on which the inner (on a double)
    chainring sits

    I have read the pages on Harris Cyclery but can't see any details about compatibility.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. mseries-<< Judging from the pictures it looks like the Stronglight one will not work as the inside
    face of the crank is not flush, there are 'shelves' on which the inner (on a double) chainring sits
    >><BR><BR>

    The middle ring can use these shelves, then the small ring bolts to this, for the TA version.

  3. MSeries wrote:

    > Does anyone know if it is possible to get some sort of triplizer to fit a 1999 Shimano Ultegra (9)
    > double chainset ? Judging from the pictures it looks like the Stronglight one will not work as the
    > inside face of the crank is not flush, there are 'shelves' on which the inner (on a double)
    > chainring sits
    >
    > I have read the pages on Harris Cyclery but can't see any details about compatibility.

    Triplizers are comaptible with standard double cranks, that's their purpose. They all have ways
    around the "shelf" problem, different for different brands.

    The exception is the Dura-Ace triple, which comes with what _looks_ like a triplizer, but isn't,
    ecactly because it won't fit a normal double crank because of the shelves. (The spider of the
    Dura-Ace triple has no shelves on the insides of the arms, it's really a shocking kludge.)

    Willow, TA and Stronglight triplizers work with all double cranks of the approprite bolt circle. The
    Willow units are half the price of the French ones.

    Sheldon "On A Tree, By A River..." Brown +----------------------------------+
    | What sane person could live in | this world and not be crazy? | --Ursula K. LeGuin |
    +----------------------------------+

    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
    http://sheldonbrown.com

  4. Bob Taylor

    Bob Taylor Guest

    Highpath Engineering (http://www.argonet.co.uk/highpath/cycle.htm) can make a tripilizer type
    chainring for any crank. I had one made for a Stronglight 99 touring crankset (86mm bcd) so I could
    mount a 20 tooth 58mm bcd mountain bike inner chainring. Not cheap but superb workmanship.

    I ordered this form the US which worked fine but I note you live in the UK so that would be
    even better.

    Bob Taylor

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Does anyone know if it is possible to get some sort of triplizer to fit a 1999 Shimano Ultegra
    > (9) double chainset ? Judging from the pictures it looks like the Stronglight one will not work as
    > the inside face of the crank is not flush, there are 'shelves' on which the inner (on a double)
    > chainring sits
    >
    > I have read the pages on Harris Cyclery but can't see any details about compatibility.

  5. [email protected] (Bob Taylor) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Highpath Engineering (http://www.argonet.co.uk/highpath/cycle.htm) can make a tripilizer type
    > chainring for any crank. I had one made for a Stronglight 99 touring crankset (86mm bcd) so I
    > could mount a 20 tooth 58mm bcd mountain bike inner chainring. Not cheap but superb workmanship.
    >
    > I ordered this form the US which worked fine but I note you live in the UK so that would be
    > even better.
    >
    > Bob Taylor
    >

    > "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi Does anyone know if it is possible to get some sort of triplizer to fit a 1999 Shimano
    > > Ultegra (9) double chainset ? Judging from the pictures it looks like the Stronglight one will
    > > not work as the inside face of the crank is not flush, there are 'shelves' on which the inner
    > > (on a double) chainring sits
    > >
    > > I have read the pages on Harris Cyclery but can't see any details about compatibility.
    While your at it does any one make a quadrupilizer

  6. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Schlumpf with double chainrings gets you there a different route.

    If your looking at gearing on the granny side, try Spicer for some of their adapters and spider hardware.

    On the big chainring side or cranksets, try Hostel Shoppe first.

    I've known of people on reumbent trikes with quadruples, repost the question on a recumbent venue.

    You might also consider dual drive or a compound middrive.

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > Hi Does anyone know if it is possible to get some sort of triplizer to fit a 1999 Shimano Ultegra
    > (9) double chainset ? Judging from the pictures it looks like the Stronglight one will not work as
    > the inside face of the crank is not flush, there are 'shelves' on which the inner (on a double)
    > chainring sits

    The Stronglight ring _replaces_ your inner, then hangs a third ring from itself. Their 130mm model
    exactly fits your crank. ( we have 'em) No crank modification is needed, but you will have to
    acquire a 74mm inner ring to bolt onto the Stronglight ring. ( those are readily availble and cheap)