Trispoke wheel help

swarden222

Aug 11, 2007
Is it possible to convert a trispoke rear wheel to a front wheel? I bought it used on ebay and thought it was a front rim. If it's not possible to convert, does anyone wanna trade for a front wheel?

No. The hub is different, it is usually wider than the front due to the freehub. A rear wheel is also dished which means that the spokes are not symetrical. The spokes on the cassette side are at a steeper angle than the others so that the rim is centered on the axle rather than between the flanges. IMHO, this would make the wheel a little too weak to be used on the front, even if it would fit.

swarden222 said:
Is it possible to convert a trispoke rear wheel to a front wheel? I bought it used on ebay and thought it was a front rim. If it's not possible to convert, does anyone wanna trade for a front wheel?

I think the other respondent misunderstands what type of wheel you have.

What brand is it? You may be able to convert if it it not too old and the parts are still available. If possible, contact the manufacturer for the front axle sets.

John M said:
I think the other respondent misunderstands what type of wheel you have.

What brand is it? You may be able to convert if it it not too old and the parts are still available. If possible, contact the manufacturer for the front axle sets.
I was under the impression that he was talking about a wheel with a cross three spoke pattern when I responded. Do you think he is talking about a composite wheel with the three supports? If so, I'll need to bow out of this one as I know nothing about those.

It is a Specialized carbon trispoke wheel. I checked with HED and they said that since it is an older model with a threaded freewheel that it can be converted with a front axle kit ($20). I went ahead and spent the $20, although I have my doubts as to if that small amount of money can fix this problem. I let you know if it does.

I changed out the axle to a front axle is was able to convert the wheel to a front wheel. Now, does anyone know where I can get a rear axle kit for a Mavic Cosmos wheel?