trivia, but not trivial

Eric Vey

Guest
I use a front basket and that makes the kickstand pretty much useless. I have seen old photos of
bikes in the US and scenes on British TV of a front stand that is triangular shaped.

What is it called and where can I get one?

Eric Vey <[email protected]> wrote:
: I use a front basket and that makes the kickstand pretty much useless. I have seen old photos of
: bikes in the US and scenes on British TV of a front stand that is triangular shaped.

: What is it called and where can I get one?

You can find a twin leg propstand which mounts in the chainstays ahead of the wheel and raises it
off the ground when engaged - something like a motorcycle centre stand (do they still use them?):

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

go to the mainpage and look under 'propstands'.

Hope this helps, cheerz, Lynzz

That's one way. The one I was thinking of was (I think) made from thin stamped flatstock with holes
at the ends. It was bent into a triangular shape and bolted to the front axle nuts. When the bike
was on the stand, the front wheel left the ground.

"Lindsay Rowlands" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Eric Vey <[email protected]> wrote:
> : I use a front basket and that makes the kickstand pretty much
useless. I
> : have seen old photos of bikes in the US and scenes on British TV of
> : front stand that is triangular shaped.
>
> : What is it called and where can I get one?
>
> You can find a twin leg propstand which mounts in the chainstays ahead of the wheel and raises it
> off the ground when engaged - something like a motorcycle centre stand (do they still use them?):
>
> http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm
>
> go to the mainpage and look under 'propstands'.
>
> Hope this helps, cheerz, Lynzz

You could try contacting Pashley Cycles as the sort of thing you are describing used to be used on
English delivery bikes. There is a bigger version on their current DeliBike workbike -
http://www.pashley.co.uk/pashley/products/deli_half.htm.

e-mail [email protected]

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

In news:[email protected], Eric Vey <[email protected]> typed:

"Eric Vey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I use a front basket and that makes the kickstand pretty much useless. I have seen old photos of
> bikes in the US and scenes on British TV of a front stand that is triangular shaped.
>
> What is it called and where can I get one?

This is not what you're describing, but you could probably use the Esge two-legged
kickstand instead:

http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/esge2leg.html

I've never used it, but many people swear by them for loaded-down touring bikes, tandems and
recumbents.

"Eric Vey" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I use a front basket and that makes the kickstand pretty much useless. I have seen old photos of
> bikes in the US and scenes on British TV of a front stand that is triangular shaped.

Pletscher makes a slick two-leg kickstand that folds to one side but opens on both sides, thereby
holding the bike upright. It's probably the lightest, neatest solution to your problem.

Chalo Colina

Here is more like what I was looking for:
http://www.industrialbicycles.com/low%20gravity%20bicycle.htm

See?