trivia, but not trivial

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric Vey, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Eric Vey

    Eric Vey Guest

    I use a front basket and that makes the kickstand pretty much useless. I have seen old photos of
    bikes in the US and scenes on British TV of a front stand that is triangular shaped.

    What is it called and where can I get one?

    Tags:

  2. Eric Vey <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I use a front basket and that makes the kickstand pretty much useless. I have seen old photos of
    : bikes in the US and scenes on British TV of a front stand that is triangular shaped.

    : What is it called and where can I get one?

    You can find a twin leg propstand which mounts in the chainstays ahead of the wheel and raises it
    off the ground when engaged - something like a motorcycle centre stand (do they still use them?):

    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

    go to the mainpage and look under 'propstands'.

    Hope this helps, cheerz, Lynzz

  3. Eric Vey

    Eric Vey Guest

    That's one way. The one I was thinking of was (I think) made from thin stamped flatstock with holes
    at the ends. It was bent into a triangular shape and bolted to the front axle nuts. When the bike
    was on the stand, the front wheel left the ground.

    "Lindsay Rowlands" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Eric Vey <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : I use a front basket and that makes the kickstand pretty much
    useless. I
    > : have seen old photos of bikes in the US and scenes on British TV of
    > : front stand that is triangular shaped.
    >
    > : What is it called and where can I get one?
    >
    > You can find a twin leg propstand which mounts in the chainstays ahead of the wheel and raises it
    > off the ground when engaged - something like a motorcycle centre stand (do they still use them?):
    >
    > http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm
    >
    > go to the mainpage and look under 'propstands'.
    >
    > Hope this helps, cheerz, Lynzz

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    You could try contacting Pashley Cycles as the sort of thing you are describing used to be used on
    English delivery bikes. There is a bigger version on their current DeliBike workbike -
    http://www.pashley.co.uk/pashley/products/deli_half.htm.

    e-mail [email protected]

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    In news:[email protected], Eric Vey <[email protected]> typed:
    > That's one way. The one I was thinking of was (I think) made from thin stamped flatstock with
    > holes at the ends. It was bent into a triangular shape and bolted to the front axle nuts. When the
    > bike was on the stand, the front wheel left the ground.
    >

    > "Lindsay Rowlands" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Eric Vey <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> I use a front basket and that makes the kickstand pretty much useless. I have seen old photos of
    >>> bikes in the US and scenes on British TV of a front stand that is triangular shaped.
    >>
    >>> What is it called and where can I get one?
    >>
    >> You can find a twin leg propstand which mounts in the chainstays ahead of the wheel and raises it
    >> off the ground when engaged - something like a motorcycle centre stand (do they still use them?):
    >>
    >> http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm
    >>
    >> go to the mainpage and look under 'propstands'.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps, cheerz, Lynzz

  5. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    "Eric Vey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I use a front basket and that makes the kickstand pretty much useless. I have seen old photos of
    > bikes in the US and scenes on British TV of a front stand that is triangular shaped.
    >
    > What is it called and where can I get one?

    This is not what you're describing, but you could probably use the Esge two-legged
    kickstand instead:

    http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/esge2leg.html

    I've never used it, but many people swear by them for loaded-down touring bikes, tandems and
    recumbents.

  6. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "Eric Vey" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I use a front basket and that makes the kickstand pretty much useless. I have seen old photos of
    > bikes in the US and scenes on British TV of a front stand that is triangular shaped.

    Pletscher makes a slick two-leg kickstand that folds to one side but opens on both sides, thereby
    holding the bike upright. It's probably the lightest, neatest solution to your problem.

    Chalo Colina

  7. Eric Vey

    Eric Vey Guest

    Here is more like what I was looking for:
    http://www.industrialbicycles.com/low%20gravity%20bicycle.htm

    See?