Trivia: Cycle Bells

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steve Hodgson, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. This is a little bit off the mainstream but I was talking to someone about
    fitting a bell today and recalled Edinburgh Bikes stocking what they claimed
    was a particularly sweet-sounding bell a few years back.

    What I recall was a flat metal disk that was 'pinged' - is there such a beast
    or did I imagine it?

    Cheers,

    Steve
    --
    The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk
     
    Tags:


  2. Jon is Away!

    Jon is Away! Guest

    Steve Hodgson wrote:
    > This is a little bit off the mainstream but I was talking to someone about
    > fitting a bell today and recalled Edinburgh Bikes stocking what they claimed
    > was a particularly sweet-sounding bell a few years back.
    >
    > What I recall was a flat metal disk that was 'pinged' - is there such a beast
    > or did I imagine it?


    One possible candidate can be found at:

    http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/sogreni.shtml

    It's quite pricey, but certainly sweet sounding.

    Jon
     
  3. Phil Barker

    Phil Barker Guest

    Jon is Away! wrote:
    > Steve Hodgson wrote:
    >> This is a little bit off the mainstream but I was talking to someone about
    >> fitting a bell today and recalled Edinburgh Bikes stocking what they claimed
    >> was a particularly sweet-sounding bell a few years back.
    >>
    >> What I recall was a flat metal disk that was 'pinged' - is there such a beast
    >> or did I imagine it?

    >
    > One possible candidate can be found at:
    >
    > http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/sogreni.shtml
    >
    > It's quite pricey, but certainly sweet sounding.
    >

    Yeah, I think I've seen something very similar in the Edinburgh Bike's
    catalogue a year or so back
     
  4. On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:46:51 +0000, Jon is Away! wrote
    (in article <[email protected]>):

    > http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/sogreni.shtml


    Wow - that is some seriously expensive stuff! I think that was the one - it
    was the reference to a wooden box packed with wood shavings that I recall
    seeing.

    The mudguards look spectacularly useless.

    Cheers,

    Steve
    --
    The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk
     
  5. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    Jon is Away! wrote:
    > Steve Hodgson wrote:
    >
    >>This is a little bit off the mainstream but I was talking to someone about
    >>fitting a bell today and recalled Edinburgh Bikes stocking what they claimed
    >>was a particularly sweet-sounding bell a few years back.
    >>
    >>What I recall was a flat metal disk that was 'pinged' - is there such a beast
    >>or did I imagine it?

    >
    >
    > One possible candidate can be found at:
    >
    > http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/sogreni.shtml
    >
    > It's quite pricey, but certainly sweet sounding.


    Did like the leather handgrips[1]. Not paying 25 squids for a bloody
    bell though.

    <peers a bit closer> 75 squids for that light! Christ, I'd want a
    dozen virgins running in front waving storm lanterns for that price.
    Well, one anyway. Ok, there's market forces to consider....

    [1] Anyone use leather handgrips?
     
  6. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    On 2006-02-19, Tosspot <[email protected]> wrote:

    ><peers a bit closer> 75 squids for that light! Christ, I'd want a
    > dozen virgins running in front waving storm lanterns for that price.
    > Well, one anyway. Ok, there's market forces to consider....


    The 65 quid mudguards (including stays, how generous) got me. Given their
    unusual choice of materials, I think there must be about £5,000 worth of
    large grain alloy^W^W^W textureplate mudguards-in-potentia lying around my
    garage. Just need a roller machine and I shall be rich... :)

    Regards,

    -david
     
  7. On 2006-02-19 23:28 +0000, Tosspot wrote:
    > Jon is Away! wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/sogreni.shtml
    >>
    >> It's quite pricey, but certainly sweet sounding.

    >
    > Did like the leather handgrips[1]. Not paying 25 squids for a bloody
    > bell though.


    25 quid for a ping bell? Shame they'd sold out of the trouser clips;
    would've been entertaining to see the price. Straying into audiophile
    territory, methinks.

    > [1] Anyone use leather handgrips?


    Considered, but no. Not in this climate. I settled for some Stella
    Azzura stuff - the kind with the stitching in the middle - for the
    bike'o'character. If only they did a brown or an army green.

    If you want a matching brown, you could always shellac up some cotton
    tape.

    --
    Andrew Chadwick
     
Loading...
Loading...