Trivia Question

Bob Schwartz

Guest
Two parts:
- Who was the last rider to take a sprinter's stage
while wearing yellow?

- Who took second?

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> Two parts:
> - Who was the last rider to take a sprinter's stage
> while wearing yellow?\

Mario Cipollini, stage 2, 1997.

> - Who took second?

Zabel, I guess.

Dan

On Jul 10, 6:26 pm, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Two parts:
> - Who was the last rider to take a sprinter's stage
> while wearing yellow?
>
> - Who took second?

Bernie Hinault on the Champs with Adri Van Der Poel second in 1982 in
a genuine field sprint. In 1979 Le Blareau piped Pere Joop Zoetemelkin
a two up breakaway on the last stage, Ironically Joop finished 2nd in
GC in 1982..

There's a great picture of the former with Hinault making a fist as he
crosses the line.

Dan Connelly wrote:
> Bob Schwartz wrote:
>> Two parts:
>> - Who was the last rider to take a sprinter's stage
>> while wearing yellow?\

> Mario Cipollini, stage 2, 1997.

Correct.

>> - Who took second?

> Zabel, I guess.

Correct again, almost 10 years earlier to the date.

Bob Schwartz

On Jul 10, 5:26 pm, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Two parts:
> - Who was the last rider to take a sprinter's stage
> while wearing yellow?
>
> - Who took second?

More trivia;
Who was the last rider to win a sprinter's stage while wearing the
mountain points polka dot jersey ?
Clue, it was not Rasmussen.

-Steve

On Jul 10, 11:41 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jul 10, 5:26 pm, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Two parts:
> > - Who was the last rider to take a sprinter's stage
> > while wearing yellow?

> > - Who took second?

> More trivia;
> Who was the last rider to win a sprinter's stage while wearing the
> mountain points polka dot jersey ?
> Clue, it was not Rasmussen.
>
> -Steve

marcel wust, 2000.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:41:09 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>On Jul 10, 5:26 pm, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>> Two parts:
>> - Who was the last rider to take a sprinter's stage
>> while wearing yellow?
>>
>> - Who took second?

>More trivia;
>Who was the last rider to win a sprinter's stage while wearing the
>mountain points polka dot jersey ?
>Clue, it was not Rasmussen.

Marcel Wust.
--
JT
****************************

On 07/10/2007 09:41 PM, in article
[email protected],

> On Jul 10, 5:26 pm, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Two parts:
>> - Who was the last rider to take a sprinter's stage
>> while wearing yellow?
>>
>> - Who took second?

> More trivia;
> Who was the last rider to win a sprinter's stage while wearing the
> mountain points polka dot jersey ?
> Clue, it was not Rasmussen.

Marcel Wüst ... July 6, 2000.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Excuse me for piling on, but here's one:

Name the (at least three) riders to have beaten dear ol' Lance
Armstrong in a two-up Tour dey France sprint ...

-Rick

[email protected] wrote:
> Excuse me for piling on, but here's one:
>
> Name the (at least three) riders to have beaten dear ol' Lance
> Armstrong in a two-up Tour dey France sprint ...

Outschakov would be the guy to do it in what most people
would call a sprint. The others would be sprints at the
end of nasty mountain stages where the climbing would be
more memorable. Those tended to be two-up because in those
cases there were often only two guys left at the end.

In that category would be Valverde (Courchevel, 2005),
Basso (La Mongie, 2004), and Pantani (Mont Ventoux, 2000).
And depending on how you feel about the last one.

Bob Schwartz

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Excuse me for piling on, but here's one:
>>
>> Name the (at least three) riders to have beaten dear ol' Lance
>> Armstrong in a two-up Tour dey France sprint ...

> Outschakov would be the guy to do it in what most people
> would call a sprint. The others would be sprints at the
> end of nasty mountain stages where the climbing would be
> more memorable. Those tended to be two-up because in those
> cases there were often only two guys left at the end.
>
> In that category would be Valverde (Courchevel, 2005),
> Basso (La Mongie, 2004), and Pantani (Mont Ventoux, 2000).
> And depending on how you feel about the last one.

That knowledge qualifies you as (at least) a borderline geek.

Dan Connelly wrote:
> Carl Sundquist wrote:
>
>> That knowledge qualifies you as (at least) a borderline geek.

> We already knew that:
> http://www.cvccbike.com/tour/tour.html

Well, the faux sprint with Pantani and the one with Outschakov
stick out. I remember Basso at La Mongie because I was there
on the stage, although not at the finish. I also remember the
hen we had for dinner that evening, the stage and the food were
both exceptional.

The one with Valverde I had to look up. The best source for that
sort of thing is http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/

Bob Schwartz

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> I also remember the hen we had for dinner that evening

What was her name ?

Donald Munro wrote:
> Bob Schwartz wrote:
>> I also remember the hen we had for dinner that evening

> What was her name ?

I didn't ask.

But as they say in the Tour, she was well prepared.

Bob Schwartz

Yes Bob you are right. I remember the two-up sprint with Outchakov. It
was really well run by him, putting Lance to sleep until like 150
meters to go ... and then WAMMO!

-Rick

On Jul 14, 12:03 pm, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Donald Munro wrote:
> > Bob Schwartz wrote:
> >> I also remember the hen we had for dinner that evening

> > What was her name ?

> I didn't ask.
>
> But as they say in the Tour, she was well prepared.
>
> Bob Schwartz

In article <[email protected]>,
Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

> Donald Munro wrote:
> > Bob Schwartz wrote:
> >> I also remember the hen we had for dinner that evening

> > What was her name ?

> I didn't ask.
>
> But as they say in the Tour, she was well prepared.
>
> Bob Schwartz

What, she tested positive?

(So Bob stripped her jersey...)

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> What, she tested positive?

Super motivated chicken with a sprinkling of panache (no I'm not accusing
Rasmussen of anything).