Trixy little hobitsesses. Dirty racing tricks.

Cryder

Mar 19, 2004
Alright, lets here em. Post your favorite physcological or strategic race trick that gets the pack to groan "Awww ****".

Mine used to be (I no longer race) to attack a mile or two before the base of the climb after a few strong lead-outs from teammates. It just seemed to jar the bunch. Especially on the cold soggy days.

This worked great to set up another teamate to take control of the tempo after the attack and help fragment the bunch.

- n -

Originally posted by Cryder
Alright, lets here em. Post your favorite physcological or strategic race trick that gets the pack to groan "Awww ****".
My favourite is not my own (I've posted this a couple of times on other threads). When I was about 20, there was a Veteran who used to sit up in the middle of the pack (while I was just hanging on the tail) and light up a smoke. He'd stay sitting up until he finished the cigarette, never losing a beat. How de-moralising? - Bloody de-moralising.

EoinC

Originally posted by EoinC
My favourite is not my own (I've posted this a couple of times on other threads). When I was about 20, there was a Veteran who used to sit up in the middle of the pack (while I was just hanging on the tail) and light up a smoke. He'd stay sitting up until he finished the cigarette, never losing a beat. How de-moralising? - Bloody de-moralising.

EoinC

Halarious in a wierd sort of way...

The best one would have to be lining up for the sprint finish with your team mate BEHIND you. You lead onto the criterium finish and make sure you get a good head of steam fronm the front before jumping. Your team mate just sits up and anyone else who wants in on the action already has 10-20m to make up.

In a head to head sprint, lean over your bars so your opponent can't see your face and make the sound *Pssssssssss* loud enough for him to hear. He'll think he has a flat tire and slow down...

:D

my favorite is to take another teammate or just a friend toward the middle or middle front of the pack, sit up and chat about how much you drank last night, or the women you picked up. this completely demoralizes everyone when your chillin acting as if the whole race is one big party. it's even better when you wind up on the podium.

If u know u can beat somebody in a sprint it is great if u can lead them out to the point they think they can come around u, as soon as they do u kick up to their speed and watch them very closely maybe even poking out your tongue, i have actually made people laugh and stop their sprint by doing this.........not really a trick as such but more of a taunt to show off your speed! just dont laugh while u r doing this one!!!

I think another fav of mine is to take out a huge piece of pizza on a climb. Its always good for a laugh at least. That and putting a barbie and ken doll in my jersey pocket - always made for some handy humor to break up the boring parts.

My personal favorite is while riding in the center of a huge group, getting off the saddle and letting out an enormous fart. This usually either cracks up or disgusts those around you, breaking their concentration.