TRL on cycle helmets

Paul Smith

Guest
Hiya,

I just found this public download TRL report on "Cycle helmet wearing in 1999" which might be of
interest. I haven't even finished downloading it yet.

http://www.trl.co.uk/static/dtlr/pdfs/TRL487.pdf

Some other TRL reports are available from the same folder. Try changing the report number.

There's an index on:

http://www.trl.co.uk/1024/mainpage.asp?page=140

but the javascript download system is far too clever for its own good.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hiya,
>
> I just found this public download TRL report on "Cycle helmet wearing in 1999" which might be of
> interest. I haven't even finished downloading it yet.
>
> http://www.trl.co.uk/static/dtlr/pdfs/TRL487.pdf
>
> Some other TRL reports are available from the same folder. Try changing the report number.
>
> There's an index on:
>
> http://www.trl.co.uk/1024/mainpage.asp?page=140
>
> but the javascript download system is far too clever for its own good.
> --
> Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
> cameras cost lives

Do us all a favour and give us a one paragraph summary.

John B <[email protected]> wrote: ( Smudger wrote: ) > "Paul Smith"
<[email protected]> wrote ( > > Hiya, ) > > speed cameras cost lives ( > Do us all a favour
and give us a one paragraph summary.

When I could find no reference to speed cameras, nor anything to support the contention that
law-breaking by speeding drivers would be safer if cyclists all wore helmets, I began to wonder why
P**l Sm*th was so pleased with this document. Then I found
it: most of the document is about measuring the extent to which cyclists wear helmets, and guessing
about why those that do not choose not to; but there is a place where the authors having no
evidence for a disputable and indeed disputed position which they hold say "Nevertheless it
seems sensible to assume that...".

I think it was written by P**l Sm*th's evil twin.

( You can buy nuts down the pet shop to feed such trolls.

We allotment gardners hold that it's more fun to grow your own.

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:55:30 +0000 (UTC), Geraint Jones
<[email protected]> wrote:
> John B <[email protected]> wrote: ( Smudger wrote: ) > "Paul Smith"
> <[email protected]> wrote ( > > Hiya, ) > > speed cameras cost lives ( > Do us all a
> favour and give us a one paragraph summary.
>
> When I could find no reference to speed cameras, nor anything to support the contention that
> law-breaking by speeding drivers would be safer if cyclists all wore helmets, I began to wonder
> why P**l Sm*th was so pleased with this document. Then I found
> it: most of the document is about measuring the extent to which cyclists wear helmets, and
> guessing about why those that do not choose not to; but there is a place where the authors
> having no evidence for a disputable and indeed disputed position which they hold say
> "Nevertheless it seems sensible to assume that...".

I have to admit I read the entire document in 5 minutes so I missed most of it in the blur as it
safely speeded past :)

However it seemed fairly sensible and balanced if your remit is "To measure cycling helmet wearing
rates and propose methods for increasing same"

It does say at the beginning that someone (Hillman?) claims that cycling helmet wearing may be
counter productive and that the decreased head accident rates seen in NZ where the wearing rate went
from c40% to 90% do not disprove Hillman's claims.

(I haven't seen any figures for NZ but BC saw head injuries fall approximately in line with the
reduction in cycling while total injuries actually increased)

Regards,

Tim.