Troll: Does/Should the USCF have a weight limit for bicycles?

In article <061020041820516592%[email protected]>,
warren <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Suz
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > There was a NRC stage race last year, can't remember which one, that didn't
> > allow TT bikes in the TT. They had to use their road bikes w/o aerobars.

> > Sounded interesting, and it sure would make it easier to travel to, not
> > having to bring two bikes.
> >
> > BTW, why do so many people mis-spell or mix up "rode" and "road"? Get it
> > straight people, it bugs me! "Rode" is the the past tense of ride, not
> > "road"
> >
> > Suz (former spelling bee champion) ;-)

> Using the wrong word for "rode" and "road" is almost as bad as when
> people use the wrong form of the word "to" or "too". Doncha hate that?
>
> -WG (my mother taught English)

A guy who used to work where I do was apparently unaware that there was
any way to spell "to" or "too" other than "too".

By the way, "your" and "you're" is another pair of commonly misused
words in here (usenet, that is).

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&selm=10m2lde6vj0kj05@co
rp.supernews.com

--
tanx,
Howard

A billion + 2 followups...

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

<[email protected]> wrote:

> There was a NRC stage race last year, can't remember which one, that didn't
> allow TT bikes in the TT. They had to use their road bikes w/o aerobars.

> Sounded interesting, and it sure would make it easier to travel to, not
> having to bring two bikes.
>
> BTW, why do so many people mis-spell or mix up "rode" and "road"? Get it
> straight people, it bugs me! "Rode" is the the past tense of ride, not
> "road"
>
> Suz (former spelling bee champion) ;-)

Using the wrong word for "rode" and "road" is almost as bad as when
people use the wrong form of the word "to" or "too". Doncha hate that?

-WG (my mother taught English)

Fore whatever its worth of coarse, I think you should be the won two write this wrong by challenging him to a dual from hoarse back underneath the beach nut tree with breach loading weapons. Let us no who wins if nun of us witness the event.

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 03:51:12 GMT, Howard Kveck
<[email protected]> wrote:

> A guy who used to work where I do was apparently unaware that there was
>any way to spell "to" or "too" other than "too".
>
> By the way, "your" and "you're" is another pair of commonly misused
>words in here (usenet, that is).

There are two separate issues. One is people not knowing the
difference between these various words. The other is sloppines. I'm
in the latter category and mis-type stuff often.

For people in the former category, here's a primer:

http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

> > No. More important than the absolute weight of the bike is the ratio of
> the
> > rider's body weight to the weight of the bike. If that ratio is the

same
> > for all riders, then it's a little closer to a fair contest.

> Do you really need all those words to explain you don't have a clue?
> Muscles' power doesn't scale with body weight. Why do you suppose that the
> biggest guys turn in the fastest TT times?

Your last sentence seems to contradict what you're claiming in the sentence
before it.

The biggest guys only turn in the fastest TT times when the TT is fairly
flat. For a flat TT, what counts is air resistance, not weight. The
increased air resistance from being large is usually not enough to wipe out
the benefits of being strong, so the large riders do better in the flat
TT's.

When you get a brain transplant to fill the void between your ears, maybe we
can have an interesting discussion about this.

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:061020041820516592%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Suz
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> There was a NRC stage race last year, can't remember which one, that
>> didn't
>> allow TT bikes in the TT. They had to use their road bikes w/o aerobars.

>> Sounded interesting, and it sure would make it easier to travel to, not
>> having to bring two bikes.
>>
>> BTW, why do so many people mis-spell or mix up "rode" and "road"? Get
>> it
>> straight people, it bugs me! "Rode" is the the past tense of ride, not
>> "road"
>>
>> Suz (former spelling bee champion) ;-)

> Using the wrong word for "rode" and "road" is almost as bad as when
> people use the wrong form of the word "to" or "too". Doncha hate that?
>
> -WG (my mother taught English)

Yep, I hate that. You of course are not implying that I did? I suppose I
am guilty of somewhat improper grammar, a rarity un usenet ;-) I meant "it
would make it easier to travel to (the race)". Not "it would make it easier
to travel also". Okay, this is a really boring conversation. Go do
something important, people!

Suz

"Travers Waker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > > No. More important than the absolute weight of the bike is the ratio

of
> > the
> > > rider's body weight to the weight of the bike. If that ratio is the

> same
> > > for all riders, then it's a little closer to a fair contest.

> > Do you really need all those words to explain you don't have a clue?
> > Muscles' power doesn't scale with body weight. Why do you suppose that

the
> > biggest guys turn in the fastest TT times?

> Your last sentence seems to contradict what you're claiming in the

sentence
> before it.
>
> The biggest guys only turn in the fastest TT times when the TT is fairly
> flat. For a flat TT, what counts is air resistance, not weight. The
> increased air resistance from being large is usually not enough to wipe

out
> the benefits of being strong, so the large riders do better in the flat
> TT's.
>
> When you get a brain transplant to fill the void between your ears, maybe

we
> can have an interesting discussion about this.

Body weight does not scale with power required for air displacement.

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 07:13:32 -0700, "Suz" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>BTW, why do so many people mis-spell or mix up "rode" and "road"? Get it
>straight people, it bugs me! "Rode" is the the past tense of ride, not
>"road"

And the past tense of 'road' is 'Pennsylvania Turnpike'. Given that in
its entire life, there may never have been a day that it measured up
to 'road'.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

> "Travers Waker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

ratio
> of
> > > the

> > same
> > >
> > > Do you really need all those words to explain you don't have a clue?
> > > Muscles' power doesn't scale with body weight. Why do you suppose that

> the
> > > biggest guys turn in the fastest TT times?

> > Your last sentence seems to contradict what you're claiming in the

> sentence
> > before it.
> >
> > The biggest guys only turn in the fastest TT times when the TT is fairly
> > flat. For a flat TT, what counts is air resistance, not weight. The
> > increased air resistance from being large is usually not enough to wipe

> out
> > the benefits of being strong, so the large riders do better in the flat
> > TT's.
> >
> > When you get a brain transplant to fill the void between your ears,

maybe
> we
> > can have an interesting discussion about this.
> >

> Body weight does not scale with power required for air displacement.

And Dopey Travers doesn't understand what a typo is.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>The UCI has a weight limit for bikes set at around 16lbs. Does the USCF
>have such a weight limit?

No.

>In my opinon, these super light carbon and Ti bikes are a silly waste
>of money.

Why? Eventually the technology makes it to lower price levels.

>We should all just lobby the USCF to set the weight limit at
>22lbs and then laugh at the guys with carbon bikes and seven pound
>weights hanging from the top tube.

Ah, I see. You want something to laugh at. Just stare in the mirror
and entertain yourself.

>If the bikes all weighed the same
>then the best athete would win the races rather then having the race
>win go to the guy who paided $10k for his BICYCLE. We all can vote in
>the USCF so think about it if we could get the rule changed imagine
>what other things we could spend the money on.

You don't know bicycle racing if you think the weight of the bike is what
is going to win a race.

>While we are at it, we should roll back the rules and get rid of disk
>wheels, tri spoke, and those silly ultra light carbon rimmed wheels
>where the brake pads don't work. These silly wheels have turned the
>race of truth into the race of $$$. At my last TT, I road 32 spokes
>and lost by around 20 seconds in 10 miles to a guy with a front tri
>spoke and a rear disk wheel.

Jealous? You can find freewheel disc wheels for about $100, so you don't
need to spend the big bucks to get aero. Samething for aero bars, you can
get cheap ones that work just as well as the expensive ones.
Alex