Trouble Getting tires out of Paul Neo Retro

steevo

New Member
Dec 14, 2003
Has anybody used paul's for cross and had trouble getting the quick release out quickly and easily? I am considering filing about 1.5 mm off of the outside of the arm where the quick cable hooks in, this seems like it would make it easier to get it undone. I am worried that it could come undone if bumped or ridden on rough areas. Has anybody had to do a similar modification?

steevo wrote:
> Has anybody used paul's for cross and had trouble getting the quick
> release out quickly and easily? I am considering filing about 1.5 mm
> off of the outside of the arm where the quick cable hooks in, this
> seems like it would make it easier to get it undone. I am worried that
> it could come undone if bumped or ridden on rough areas. Has anybody
> had to do a similar modification?

Due to their low mechanical advantage, I have the same trouble with my
Avid Shorty 6's. Instead of filing off metal, though, I solve the
problem by creating extra cable slack by loosening the barrel adjuster
at the brake lever. This requires readjustment of the brake pad-rim
clearance every time you reinstall the wheel, and is therefore slow. I
rarely get flats where I live now, so speed is not a problem for me.
Good luck!

Stephen Greenwood

In article <[email protected]>,
"Stephen Greenwood" <[email protected]> wrote:

> steevo wrote:
> > Has anybody used paul's for cross and had trouble getting the quick
> > release out quickly and easily? I am considering filing about 1.5 mm
> > off of the outside of the arm where the quick cable hooks in, this
> > seems like it would make it easier to get it undone. I am worried that
> > it could come undone if bumped or ridden on rough areas. Has anybody
> > had to do a similar modification?

> Due to their low mechanical advantage, I have the same trouble with my
> Avid Shorty 6's. Instead of filing off metal, though, I solve the
> problem by creating extra cable slack by loosening the barrel adjuster
> at the brake lever. This requires readjustment of the brake pad-rim
> clearance every time you reinstall the wheel, and is therefore slow. I
> rarely get flats where I live now, so speed is not a problem for me.
> Good luck!
>
> Stephen Greenwood

I can think of a very old and a very new solution for your release
issues:

Old: I have a set of Mafac "Racer" U-brakes that came with a
quick-release built into the straddle hanger. As a sort of homage with
some utility, I use this straddle hanger on the front of my latest
cyclocross abomination, an old road frame with enough clearance for a 32
mm CX tire. Chances are you can salvage one or two from some wretched
70s bicycle or another.

New: switch to Campy brifters, which have a QR built into the brake
lever.

Campy isn't the only one to do this, either. I have an early-80s Miyata
210 tourer with Dia-Compe levers, and they have an elegantly simple QR
integrated into the lever as well. Of course, those brake levers can't
be used to change gears, but you can't have everything.