Trouble Reaching LT????

toddvino

Feb 20, 2007
The only way I can get my HR up to LT training levels is to get out of the saddle and crank a big gear. Once my HR is up there I can maintain it by gearing down and maintaining a higher cadence. Is this normal in order to reach LT? Is there any signifigance as it's almost impossible for me to reach training HR while spinning in the saddle?

Thanks,

Toddvino:rolleyes:

You may not be giving yourself enough time to raise your hr to threshold level. Since I got my powermeter I can look at things like that and it's pretty enlightening. It takes a minimum of 2.5 minutes for my heartrate to stabilize at threshold level once I start an interval, usually closer to 3.5. My power remains pretty constant throughout the effort right from the start, just takes awhile for the old hr to catch up. That's my experience. Also, last year when I trained using only a HRM, when I had trouble getting my hr up, it was a tell-tale sign that my body was tired and needed a break from the hills. My $.02.

When riding outside I can't reach LT unless someone is pushing the pace. When riding inside I would tend to over shoot LT because I was looking at HR to soon. With the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine I have power measurements based on speed that keeps me on target until HR catches up in the last five minutes of a twenty minute interval. Without that I would have to experiment with speed, gear combo and cadence to stay in LT waiting for HR to catch up. I also find it difficult to maintain LT on a magnetic trainer.... fluid seems more comfortable to me. You might want to do a 20 minute TT to find your threshold HR in the last five minutes mine is about 172bpm as a rule I will stay at least five bpm lower than that but always above 158bpm (last five minutes) when doing 3x20s.

as others... that's one of the many reasons that a HR monitor is not a very good tool for measuring your training intensity (203min lag for HR to catch up... imagine if you are doing 2min intervals??)... short answer is save up for a power meter... expensive, i know, but if you want to get the most out of that expensive bike it's pretty much required equipment... makes traing a whole lot more straight forward... about the only intensity that a HR monitor is good for is endurance.. and even then HR varies day to day, hour to hour, depending on food, sleep, stress etc...

Thanks for the response. Just so I can clarify (I'm obviously ne wat this).........I use a trainer, it takes me 20 minutes to get my heart rate to about 158 then I have to stand up to get it to 165-175. 165 is where I want to train for steady state rides of 20-30 minutes. Anything over 170 and I'm good for about 12 minutes and that's it! What is considered my LT? If not what is?

wiredued said:
When riding outside I can't reach LT unless someone is pushing the pace. When riding inside I would tend to over shoot LT because I was looking at HR to soon. With the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine I have power measurements based on speed that keeps me on target until HR catches up in the last five minutes of a twenty minute interval. Without that I would have to experiment with speed, gear combo and cadence to stay in LT waiting for HR to catch up. I also find it difficult to maintain LT on a magnetic trainer.... fluid seems more comfortable to me. You might want to do a 20 minute TT to find your threshold HR in the last five minutes mine is about 172bpm as a rule I will stay at least five bpm lower than that but always above 158bpm (last five minutes) when doing 3x20s.

You're probably right. I'll start saving. Thanks!

doctorSpoc said:
as others... that's one of the many reasons that a HR monitor is not a very good tool for measuring your training intensity (203min lag for HR to catch up... imagine if you are doing 2min intervals??)... short answer is save up for a power meter... expensive, i know, but if you want to get the most out of that expensive bike it's pretty much required equipment... makes traing a whole lot more straight forward... about the only intensity that a HR monitor is good for is endurance.. and even then HR varies day to day, hour to hour, depending on food, sleep, stress etc...

The cheapest solution to fine tuning your L4 workouts with power is to get the KK road http://www.1upusa.com/kurtkinetictrainer.htm
and using this chart
http://www.kurtkinetic.com/calibration_chart.php
and Dr Coggans book p50 test (Hunters Method)
http://www.amazon.com/Training-Racing-Power-Meter-Hunter/dp/1931382794/sr=8-1/qid=1172082847/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6782730-9927010?ie=UTF8&s=books
I think you may be going to high in HR if you are like me 172bpm to 173bpm during the last 5 minutes of a 20 minute TT is about 105%FTP(hour Power) the sweet spot for raising FTP at L4 is 91% to 100% of FTP power during the last 5 minutes of a twenty minute interval HR is aprox 159bpm to 168bpm. Being limited to 12 minutes at 170bpm could be due to an irritating magnetic pedal stroke or again just slow HR response. Get the KK Road you won't regret it.

If you are not ready for that here is RDs speed based method for the 91% FTP target.

Here is RD's speed method for indoor trainers like the 1up which has a predictable power to speed relationship. "you can get a simple speedometer with wireless speed pickup for <$100. Mount the magnet pickup on the rear wheel. Then you can ride by speed. Personally I ride my high-intensity efforts at ~92% of my max speed for a given duration." got it from here http://www.cyclingforums.com/t377488.html

toddvino said:
Thanks for the response. Just so I can clarify (I'm obviously ne wat this).........I use a trainer, it takes me 20 minutes to get my heart rate to about 158 then I have to stand up to get it to 165-175. 165 is where I want to train for steady state rides of 20-30 minutes. Anything over 170 and I'm good for about 12 minutes and that's it! What is considered my LT? If not what is?

What is LT?

How do you know you are reaching for LT if you need to do extreme things to get there? Have you been tested? How was this done?

How long are you working out for in your current scenario? It might take 20 minutes in a long interval.

FWIW I don't know what LTHR is unless you're doing lactate testing.

THANKS! I appreciate it and will look into those methods.

wiredued said:
The cheapest solution to fine tuning your L4 workouts with power is to get the KK road http://www.1upusa.com/kurtkinetictrainer.htm
and using this chart
http://www.kurtkinetic.com/calibration_chart.php
and Dr Coggans book p50 test (Hunters Method)
http://www.amazon.com/Training-Racing-Power-Meter-Hunter/dp/1931382794/sr=8-1/qid=1172082847/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6782730-9927010?ie=UTF8&s=books
I think you may be going to high in HR if you are like me 172bpm to 173bpm during the last 5 minutes of a 20 minute TT is about 105%FTP(hour Power) the sweet spot for raising FTP at L4 is 91% to 100% of FTP power during the last 5 minutes of a twenty minute interval HR is aprox 159bpm to 168bpm. Being limited to 12 minutes at 170bpm could be due to an irritating magnetic pedal stroke or again just slow HR response. Get the KK Road you won't regret it.

If you are not ready for that here is RDs speed based method for the 91% FTP target.

Here is RD's speed method for indoor trainers like the 1up which has a predictable power to speed relationship. "you can get a simple speedometer with wireless speed pickup for <$100. Mount the magnet pickup on the rear wheel. Then you can ride by speed. Personally I ride my high-intensity efforts at ~92% of my max speed for a given duration." got it from here http://www.cyclingforums.com/t377488.html

I also have trouble getting it up...I mean reaching LT threshold. However, my problems only arise on the trainer. On the road, I have no problem reaching threshold. I can't figure it out because my perceived effort on the trainer is higher. One of the ways I deal with this is to do a few 1 minute intervals before I start doing LT intervals. Does anybody else find a disparity between heart rate on the road and trainer?

Frigo's Luggage said:
I also have trouble getting it up...I mean reaching LT threshold. However, my problems only arise on the trainer. On the road, I have no problem reaching threshold. I can't figure it out because my perceived effort on the trainer is higher. One of the ways I deal with this is to do a few 1 minute intervals before I start doing LT intervals. Does anybody else find a disparity between heart rate on the road and trainer?
There are quite a few threads on this topic. The general consensus is that it is easier to achieve a higher wattage on the road than on a trainer. There are a few extremely focused people for which the opposite is true.

Bikeridindude said:
There are quite a few threads on this topic. The general consensus is that it is easier to achieve a higher wattage on the road than on a trainer. There are a few extremely focused people for which the opposite is true.
True, but we were speaking of HR.

I have no problem keeping the same wattage on the trainer, but my HR is typically lower than outside. It is probably 5 - 7 beats, on the average, lower for the same wattage.

Jim