Trouble removing chain



reub2000

New Member
Jul 10, 2007
99
0
0
34
I got an tool from my bike store for pushing the rivet out of a chain. I tried it out on an old bike to get the hang of removing a chain. After successfully removing the chain and reinstalling, I tried to remove the chain from my bike in order to clean it. After coming into contact with the rivet, I can't turn the tool any more. It just won't move no matter how much force I apply to it. The bad part is that the link that I was working on is really stiff. What now? Help a n00b out.
 

sogood

New Member
Aug 24, 2006
2,148
0
36
reub2000 said:
I got an tool from my bike store for pushing the rivet out of a chain. I tried it out on an old bike to get the hang of removing a chain. After successfully removing the chain and reinstalling, I tried to remove the chain from my bike in order to clean it. After coming into contact with the rivet, I can't turn the tool any more. It just won't move no matter how much force I apply to it. The bad part is that the link that I was working on is really stiff. What now? Help a n00b out.
Flex the links side to side and see if that can get rid of the stiffness. However, examine carefully to make sure the pin is still well centred. If not, remove it either yourself or at the LBS, or it may break on you during a ride.

As for cleaning a chain, you can get one of those cleaner units that locks onto the chain and avoids removing the chain. Or you can install a quick link eg. SRAM, Connex, to make chain removal quick and easy.
 

reub2000

New Member
Jul 10, 2007
99
0
0
34
But how am I suppossed to remove it. The chain is a KMC Z-9000 (According to fuji specs). Is there something special about this chain that makes it harder to remove?
 

daveornee

New Member
Sep 18, 2003
2,763
0
0
reub2000 said:
I got an tool from my bike store for pushing the rivet out of a chain. I tried it out on an old bike to get the hang of removing a chain. After successfully removing the chain and reinstalling, I tried to remove the chain from my bike in order to clean it. After coming into contact with the rivet, I can't turn the tool any more. It just won't move no matter how much force I apply to it. The bad part is that the link that I was working on is really stiff. What now? Help a n00b out.


http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25


Suggested reading & hint on how to work out a tight link.
Pay particular note to Shimano section as Shimano chains have unique mushrooming of the pins + the used pin is not reuseable.
 

reub2000

New Member
Jul 10, 2007
99
0
0
34
Okay, I got it off. I was able to get the pin out by inserting it into the slot on the tool closest to the pin of the tool. I emerged it in the degreaser, which came out yellow, but quickly turned a dark black. The links are still stiff even though I got the pin centered. I'm to embarresed to go into a bike store and admit that I screwed up this badly.
 

lohsnest

New Member
Oct 10, 2004
261
0
0
51
You should probably purchase a chain-cleaning kit. It will be much easier than physically removing it.

reub2000 said:
Okay, I got it off. I was able to get the pin out by inserting it into the slot on the tool closest to the pin of the tool. I emerged it in the degreaser, which came out yellow, but quickly turned a dark black. The links are still stiff even though I got the pin centered. I'm to embarresed to go into a bike store and admit that I screwed up this badly.
 

artemidorus

New Member
Mar 10, 2004
2,307
0
36
reub2000 said:
Okay, I got it off. I was able to get the pin out by inserting it into the slot on the tool closest to the pin of the tool. I emerged it in the degreaser, which came out yellow, but quickly turned a dark black. The links are still stiff even though I got the pin centered. I'm to embarresed to go into a bike store and admit that I screwed up this badly.
Crikey, don't be embarrassed, I'm sure most of us have done a lot worse than this! My first major screw-up was not knowing about the drive-side reverse thread on an English BB - I killed the BB cup (and, it being the fixed cup, the whole BB), a shifting spanner and damaged the shell thread. And yes, I had to confess all to the LBS.
 

kdelong

Well-Known Member
Dec 14, 2006
3,477
134
48
reub2000 said:
Okay, I got it off. I was able to get the pin out by inserting it into the slot on the tool closest to the pin of the tool. I emerged it in the degreaser, which came out yellow, but quickly turned a dark black. The links are still stiff even though I got the pin centered. I'm to embarresed to go into a bike store and admit that I screwed up this badly.
When you put the chain in the degreaser, you probably flushed out any lubricant that was in there. Try lubricating the chain liberally with ProLink while rotating the cranks slowly backwards. Wipe off the chain after you have lubricated it. Again, rotate cranks backwards and watch the links as they run through the derailleur cage. You will be able to spot a stiff link as it will not want to bend to go around the the cage pulleys. Run this link to a place where you can grab the chain on either side of the stiff link. Flex the link laterally to loosen the side plates a little and that should free up the stiff links. After this, when you go to clean your chain every 100 to 150 miles, just wipe it off and then apply a drop of ProLink to each roller of the chain. ProLink cleans and lubricates at the same time, so you don't have to remove the chain and dump it in degreaser when you want to clean it.
 

reub2000

New Member
Jul 10, 2007
99
0
0
34
kdelong said:
When you put the chain in the degreaser, you probably flushed out any lubricant that was in there. Try lubricating the chain liberally with ProLink while rotating the cranks slowly backwards. Wipe off the chain after you have lubricated it. Again, rotate cranks backwards and watch the links as they run through the derailleur cage. You will be able to spot a stiff link as it will not want to bend to go around the the cage pulleys. Run this link to a place where you can grab the chain on either side of the stiff link. Flex the link laterally to loosen the side plates a little and that should free up the stiff links. After this, when you go to clean your chain every 100 to 150 miles, just wipe it off and then apply a drop of ProLink to each roller of the chain. ProLink cleans and lubricates at the same time, so you don't have to remove the chain and dump it in degreaser when you want to clean it.
Clean every 150 miles? Seems exessive.

Anyways, I figured out the problem. The tool is tightening up the rivet too much. I can just use the tool to loosen it up after I get the rivet centered.

Also, the lube I have on hand is tri-flow. Ah well.
 

artemidorus

New Member
Mar 10, 2004
2,307
0
36
reub2000 said:
Also, the lube I have on hand is tri-flow. Ah well.
The advantage of Prolink is that it does clean. I never clean my chains, but they never accumulate gunk and last as long as other people's claims. When you lubricate with Prolink and wipe off, much of the grime comes off with the excess.
 

reub2000

New Member
Jul 10, 2007
99
0
0
34
Okay, now I really fudged things. I've got the chain going through the derailer the wrong way, and a broken tool. Time to take it to the bike shop.
 

scirocco

New Member
Feb 16, 2007
123
0
0
C'mon, get a grip. :D:D If it's going the wrong way through the derailleur, set it right. Look on Park Tools or Sheldon Brown if you're not sure how it goes. Get out of the mindset that you can't do it yourself and empower yourself so you're in control. It's a bicycle, not the Space Shuttle.

And buy a Connex Wipperman removable link while you're at it so you'll never have the chain problem again. :)
 

benkoostra

New Member
Mar 7, 2006
392
0
0
53
Yeah, don't be embarrassed. Everyone learns the same way...by screwing up a little. It's the path to enlightenment.