Trouble removing fork from Tioga Alchemy threadless headset

Scott Gordo

Guest
I'm uninstalling a fork and having some trouble.

The frame I'm removing it from has an OEM Tioga Alchemy headset, 1
1/8, probably 7 or 8 years old. FYI, the headset still works nice and
smoothly.

I've removed the top cap and stem. On other threadless headsets I've
worked with, the fork slips right out.

I tried tapping the steerer with a mallet but no go. I took a look at
the top race and there's a centering sleeve made of plastic that seems
to wedge the steerer in. I take this centering sleeve to be the
culprit preventing the steerer from sliding out. I didn't see any pry
notches or any way to get much purchase.

Before I start getting too crazy with the hammers and such, does
anyone have a better solution?

Scott

Scott Gordo wrote:
> I'm uninstalling a fork and having some trouble.
>
> The frame I'm removing it from has an OEM Tioga Alchemy headset, 1
> 1/8, probably 7 or 8 years old. FYI, the headset still works nice and
> smoothly.
>
> I've removed the top cap and stem. On other threadless headsets I've
> worked with, the fork slips right out.
>
> I tried tapping the steerer with a mallet but no go. I took a look at
> the top race and there's a centering sleeve made of plastic that seems
> to wedge the steerer in. I take this centering sleeve to be the
> culprit preventing the steerer from sliding out. I didn't see any pry
> notches or any way to get much purchase.
>
> Before I start getting too crazy with the hammers and such, does
> anyone have a better solution?

Here is the appropriate removal tool:
<http://www.stihlusa.com/construction/TS800.html>.

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Scott Gordo wrote:
>> I'm uninstalling a fork and having some trouble.
>>
>> The frame I'm removing it from has an OEM Tioga Alchemy headset, 1
>> 1/8, probably 7 or 8 years old. FYI, the headset still works nice and
>> smoothly.
>>
>> I've removed the top cap and stem. On other threadless headsets I've
>> worked with, the fork slips right out.
>>
>> I tried tapping the steerer with a mallet but no go. I took a look at
>> the top race and there's a centering sleeve made of plastic that seems
>> to wedge the steerer in. I take this centering sleeve to be the
>> culprit preventing the steerer from sliding out. I didn't see any pry
>> notches or any way to get much purchase.
>>
>> Before I start getting too crazy with the hammers and such, does
>> anyone have a better solution?

> Here is the appropriate removal tool:
> <http://www.stihlusa.com/construction/TS800.html>.

Only for the uninitiated. To get it out without damage, use a slight bit of
penetrating oil on the wedge area, and use lots more force with metal
hammer/mallet. It should slip right out with a solid smack because the
wedge is plastic and won't corrode to the steerer. I had this headset,
too, but not long enough to find out if it binds up like yours.

--
Phil