Trouble routing brake cable through top tube

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Greg, May 24, 2003.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I've got a mid to late eighties Pinarello Treviso, and am having trouble routing the rear brake
    cable and housing through the top tube. I'm assuming that the entire housing goes through the tube,
    perhaps I'm in error. The two openings are rather small; I can only get a 4mm housing into the first
    hole, and it's a tight fit. When I try to get the other end through, I have had no luck at all
    meeting the opening. Is there something I'm missing, or a method to this that I'm not aware of?
    Perhaps there's some sort of ferrule that adapts to the openings, and only the cable goes
    through?Any insight or suggestions to this would be most appreciated; other than this snafu, the
    bike is ready to ride, and of course I'm getting anxious. Thanks in advance..... Greg

    Tags:

  2. A Lee

    A Lee Guest

    Greg <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've got a mid to late eighties Pinarello Treviso, and am having trouble routing the rear brake
    > cable and housing through the top tube. I'm assuming that the entire housing goes through the
    > tube, perhaps I'm in error. The two openings are rather small; I can only get a 4mm housing into
    > the first hole, and it's a tight fit. When I try to get the other end through, I have had no luck
    > at all meeting the opening.

    I had this last year on a Giant TCR frame.I tried at least 4 different outer cables from different
    shops, and finally got one that did fit through the hole. I already had some genuine Campag brake
    cable housing, and this fitted through the 2 holes easily,but it was just too short. I think you'll
    need to go round various shops and measure the diameter of the cable outer.Cheap stuff is thicker,
    and seems to be what all the shops (round here at least) stock. Alan.
    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  3. 1

    1 Guest

    I had the same frame and only fed the cable through the top tube. Isn't there a ferrule thing that
    acts as a cable stop when entering and exiting the top tube. I flipped the frame upside down so the
    holes were on the bottom and fed the cable through after less than 10 attempts. I never thought
    about feeding the housing through at all - just the cable.

    HIH

    >> I've got a mid to late eighties Pinarello Treviso, and am having trouble routing the rear brake
    >> cable and housing through the top tube. I'm assuming that the entire housing goes through the
    >> tube, perhaps I'm in error. The two openings are rather small; I can only get a 4mm housing into
    >> the first hole, and it's a tight fit. When I try to get the other end through, I have had no luck
    >> at all meeting the opening.

  4. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Greg" <[email protected]> writes:

    >I've got a mid to late eighties Pinarello Treviso, and am having trouble routing the rear brake
    >cable and housing through the top tube. I'm assuming that the entire housing goes through the tube,
    >perhaps I'm in error. The two openings are rather small; I can only get a 4mm housing into the
    >first hole, and it's a tight fit. When I try to get the other end through, I have had no luck at
    >all meeting the opening. Is there something I'm missing, or a method to this that I'm not aware of?
    >Perhaps there's some sort of ferrule that adapts to the openings, and only the cable goes
    >through?Any insight or suggestions to this would be most appreciated; other than this snafu, the
    >bike is ready to ride, and of course I'm getting anxious. Thanks in advance.....

    I suspect there are several variations here, but my late 90's Jackson has a tube connecting the two
    openings. I put a ferrule on the end of the cable housings which butt into the openings in the top
    tube. The actual cable simply and easily threaded through.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  5. Frank121

    Frank121 Guest

    My Merckx TSX Century (circa 1989) had the rear brake cable internally routed throiugh the top tube.
    It would not take the brake cable housing, as it was intended to have metal step down ferrule that
    went into the two exposed entry and exit stubs on the top tube.

    Rather than put a metal ferrule on the painted portion of the stubs, I measured the depth of the
    stubs and cut off the protective plastic housing from around the ends of the cable and inserted them
    into the stubs. Didn't get any paint scratching, got good braking performance, and the set-up looked
    neater than haviung a metal ferrule sticking out.

  6. Frank121

    Frank121 Guest

    My Merckx TSX Century (circa 1989) had the rear brake cable internally routed through the top tube.
    It would not take the brake cable housing, as it was intended to have metal step down ferrule that
    went into the two exposed entry and exit stubs on the top tube and only the brake cable itself
    inside the guide built into the inside of the top tube.

    Rather than put a metal ferrule on the painted portion of the stubs, I measured the depth of the
    stubs and cut off the protective plastic housing from around the ends of the brake cable housing
    that same length.

    This allowed the short exposed metal portion of the brake cable housing to fit into the stub and the
    plastic portion of the full housing was flush with the end of the stub.

    Didn't get any paint scratching, got good braking performance, and the set-up looked neater than
    having a metal ferrule sticking out.

  7. >I've got a mid to late eighties Pinarello Treviso, and am having trouble routing the rear brake
    >cable and housing through the top tube. I'm assuming that the entire housing goes through the tube,
    >perhaps I'm in error. The two openings are rather small; I can only get a 4mm housing into the
    >first hole, and it's a tight fit. When I try to get the other end through, I have had no luck at
    >all meeting the opening.

    The trick (at least with my Kestrel) was to pull the old housing out while following it with the new
    housing. Run a brake cable thru both housings before you make the attempt (to hold everything in
    line). A lot less frustrating. Steve

  8. Spacey Spade

    Spacey Spade Guest

    Steve Hambley wrote:
    >>I've got a mid to late eighties Pinarello Treviso, and am having trouble routing the rear brake
    >>cable and housing through the top tube. I'm assuming that the entire housing goes through the
    >>tube, perhaps I'm in error. The two openings are rather small; I can only get a 4mm housing into
    >>the first hole, and it's a tight fit. When I try to get the other end through, I have had no luck
    >>at all meeting the opening.
    >
    >The trick (at least with my Kestrel) was to pull the old housing out while following it with the
    >new housing. Run a brake cable thru both housings before you make the attempt (to hold everything
    >in line). A lot less frustrating. Steve

    If you haven't done this and the old cable is out, then try this: Run the housing in with any old
    brake cable. When you see the cable through the opening on the other side, fish it out with a paper
    clip, pull on the cable with some pliers and the housing will follow.

  9. Dax

    Dax Guest

    On Tue, 27 May 2003 21:52:58 GMT, Spacey Spade <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve Hambley wrote:
    >>>I've got a mid to late eighties Pinarello Treviso, and am having trouble routing the rear brake
    >>>cable and housing through the top tube. I'm assuming that the entire housing goes through the
    >>>tube, perhaps I'm in error. The two openings are rather small; I can only get a 4mm housing into
    >>>the first hole, and it's a tight fit. When I try to get the other end through, I have had no luck
    >>>at all meeting the opening.
    >>
    >>The trick (at least with my Kestrel) was to pull the old housing out while following it with the
    >>new housing. Run a brake cable thru both housings before you make the attempt (to hold everything
    >>in line). A lot less frustrating. Steve
    >
    >If you haven't done this and the old cable is out, then try this: Run the housing in with any old
    >brake cable. When you see the cable through the opening on the other side, fish it out with a paper
    >clip, pull on the cable with some pliers and the housing will follow.

    I take the housing, put a wee kink in the end to point it 'down', then use the housing to measure
    the exact outside distance between the two holes. I then feed the housing into the frame and the end
    finishes up in the general area of the exit (but at exactly the right distance). Then i use a
    sharpened spoke to guide it out to daylight - Ъ×