Trouble with a left ErgoPower lever

Solvang Cyclist

Guest
A friend has a left 2005 Record ErgoPower shifter that intermittently stops
shifting when on the small chainring going to the large ring. When it
happens, he says that the lever feels like it's not engaging the mechanism.
He's found that if he either presses the front derailleur outward or
"flicks" the shift lever it seems to start working again. Does this sound
like an adjustment issue, or more likely something defective in the lever?

Cheers,
David

On Jan 1, 5:31 pm, Solvang Cyclist <[email protected]> wrote:
> A friend has a left 2005 Record ErgoPower shifter that intermittently stops
> shifting when on the small chainring going to the large ring. When it
> happens, he says that the lever feels like it's not engaging the mechanism.
> He's found that if he either presses the front derailleur outward or
> "flicks" the shift lever it seems to start working again. Does this sound
> like an adjustment issue, or more likely something defective in the lever?
>
> Cheers,
> David

Yeah, that sounds like a problem with the return spring that was added
with a 2nd or 3rd revision back in the first few years of production.
If you try to manually put the thumb tab back in its home position and
that allows it to shift, then the problem is the spring I am thinking
of. It is a lot cheaper than the spring that normally wears out and I
have never had to change that spring.

I have not ever had any problems with Record though, and I think I
discovered it while using a trial setup (not Record or Chorus because
when I tore it apart it did not have the BBs) on a version previous to
that revision. It surprises me that a 2005 lever would have any
problems as the quality control at Campagnolo is legendary for their
high standards. I don't work in a shop, but I have never heard of any
Campagnolo components that went bad in that short time unless there was
a crash. If you do not have to use them right away, I would have it
fixed under warranty. AFAIK, all Campy products have a 3 years warranty
(even their wheels & chains).

Solvang Cyclist wrote:
> A friend has a left 2005 Record ErgoPower shifter that intermittently stops
> shifting when on the small chainring going to the large ring. When it
> happens, he says that the lever feels like it's not engaging the mechanism.
> He's found that if he either presses the front derailleur outward or
> "flicks" the shift lever it seems to start working again. Does this sound
> like an adjustment issue, or more likely something defective in the lever?

See if the thumb lever is sticking. If it is just a bit low, the shift
blade will be 'locked'. Look for rust on the thumb lever pivot or
spring or anything preventing it from returning all the way. These are
usually external fixes no need to remove or open the lever.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Solvang Cyclist wrote:
> A friend has a left 2005 Record ErgoPower shifter that intermittently stops
> shifting when on the small chainring going to the large ring. When it
> happens, he says that the lever feels like it's not engaging the mechanism.
> He's found that if he either presses the front derailleur outward or
> "flicks" the shift lever it seems to start working again. Does this sound
> like an adjustment issue, or more likely something defective in the lever?
>
> Cheers,
> David

Not defective, but it may just need a clean, lube. Send it to me and
I'll give it a 1 day turnaround. $25+ parts, $5 shipping back.

Solvang Cyclist wrote:
> A friend has a left 2005 Record ErgoPower shifter that intermittently stops
> shifting when on the small chainring going to the large ring. When it
> happens, he says that the lever feels like it's not engaging the mechanism.
> He's found that if he either presses the front derailleur outward or
> "flicks" the shift lever it seems to start working again. Does this sound
> like an adjustment issue, or more likely something defective in the lever?
>
> Cheers,
> David

Buy an aerosol can of WD40, squirt some in and try shifting about a
dozen times. If that doesn't help, repeat the procedure.

This fix has worked several times for me.

If that doesn't fix it, you probably have a mechanical problem.

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

*****

On 2 Jan 2007 13:59:22 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Buy an aerosol can of WD40, squirt some in and try shifting about a
>dozen times. If that doesn't help, repeat the procedure.

Exactly where are you squirting the WD40?

Ergo or STI are the 'catch' in continuous evolving drivetrains.

It never gets any better than rachet friction shifter, unless you are a
racer.
Placement of friction shifters is prehistoric for the most part though
still; and
requires engineering on your own.

Might as well get LBS insurance for STI or Ergo's though.
Pay now, or pay later continuously to Shimano or Campy.

imo