trouble with aero position

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by su22, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. su22

    su22 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2003
    im only a rookie, and i find it a bit scary being in the aero position-- especially with cars flying past me. :(

    ive been road riding for about 6 months, and my bike skills arent great. any tips on how to attain better balance and control?

    at the moment im just forcing myself to stay chill, breathe, and try to relax while in tucked in on my aero bars. i have had it set up in the shop, and my seat has been tilted down a bit to accomodate for the position.

    any advice would be much appreciated!

    Tags:

  2. Jkmsg

    Jkmsg Guest

    su22 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    Unfortunately, there is few tips to gaining better bike handling abilities other than experience.
    The more you ride in the aero position, the more confidence you find.

    BTW, never ride in the aero position while in a group (specially when your inexperienced). For
    better balance, leave off the filled water bottle (located on the aero-bars). Finally, the design of
    the bike can make a big difference in handling ability. Certain bikes (commonly called tri-bikes -
    Ex. Cervelo, Felt, etc.) specifically designed to ridden in the aero position handle much better
    than most road bikes converted to an tri-bike.

    FWIW Joe M

    > im only a rookie, and i find it a bit scary being in the aero position-- especially with cars
    > flying past me. :(
    >
    > ive been road riding for about 6 months, and my bike skills arent great. any tips on how to attain
    > better balance and control?
    >
    > at the moment im just forcing myself to stay chill, breathe, and try to relax while in tucked in
    > on my aero bars. i have had it set up in the shop, and my seat has been tilted down a bit to
    > accomodate for the position.
    >
    > any advice would be much appreciated!

  3. Rivermist

    Rivermist Guest

    I have heard it said that it takes about 200 miles before you are comfortable down in the aero bars.
    The more you do it the better it feels.

    If you are ever in a situation where you may need your brakes, stay off the aero bars.

    "su22" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > im only a rookie, and i find it a bit scary being in the aero position-- especially with cars
    > flying past me. :(
    >
    > ive been road riding for about 6 months, and my bike skills arent great. any tips on how to attain
    > better balance and control?
    >
    > at the moment im just forcing myself to stay chill, breathe, and try to relax while in tucked in
    > on my aero bars. i have had it set up in the shop, and my seat has been tilted down a bit to
    > accomodate for the position.
    >
    > any advice would be much appreciated!
    >

    > --
    > This forum is a gateway to the rec.sport.triathlon usenet newsgroup. Any
    posts you make in this forum will be propogated to usenet.

  4. Tom G

    Tom G Guest

    all I can say is "practice makes perfect." Nevertheless, I do find it always a bit of a strain on my
    neck, but simply attribute it to the cost of doing business.

    Tom

    "su22" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > im only a rookie, and i find it a bit scary being in the aero position-- especially with cars
    > flying past me. :(
    >
    > ive been road riding for about 6 months, and my bike skills arent great. any tips on how to attain
    > better balance and control?
    >
    > at the moment im just forcing myself to stay chill, breathe, and try to relax while in tucked in
    > on my aero bars. i have had it set up in the shop, and my seat has been tilted down a bit to
    > accomodate for the position.
    >
    > any advice would be much appreciated!
    >

    > --
    > This forum is a gateway to the rec.sport.triathlon usenet newsgroup. Any
    posts you make in this forum will be propogated to usenet.

  5. Onemarathon

    Onemarathon Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    su22 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > im only a rookie, and i find it a bit scary being in the aero position-- especially with cars
    > flying past me. :(
    >
    > ive been road riding for about 6 months, and my bike skills arent great. any tips on how to attain
    > better balance and control?
    >
    > at the moment im just forcing myself to stay chill, breathe, and try to relax while in tucked in
    > on my aero bars. i have had it set up in the shop, and my seat has been tilted down a bit to
    > accomodate for the position.
    >
    > any advice would be much appreciated!

    i'm no expert BUT i have recently dealt with aerobar and position issues. i DO NOT use the aero
    position while cars are wizzing around me. i know i can't get to my brakes quickly enough with the
    arms on the aeros, so when cars are near, i sit up and put my hands elsewhere (on the bike :)

    just practising lots will give you a better handle on balance and control. i can't offer much else,
    but i'm sure others can...

    Cam

    --
    Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.

  6. I fiddled around for ages before finding the best aero position, it will take ages but when you've
    got it you feel great, beleive me, and it does save time:-

    1. Get the normal bike position correct first. this is a must.

    2. Put the tribars on in a position that you think is right, ride it and see how it feels. If you
    feel uncomfortable after 20km this ain't right, make biggish adjustments here.

    3. Keep cycling with them in this position, cos when you get it right you'll feel so much more
    comfortable.

    4. Don't worry about keeping a flat back - it won't make any difference if you are a rookie, you'll
    save more time if you are comfy than if can't keep going in the aero position. Focus on Comfort,
    I looked at photos of Indurain and Armstrong doing their TT's - I couldn't see a flat back there.

    5. Adjust only one setting per ride and only by a max of 5mm.

    6. When you've got it right scratch the position on the seat post and saddle rails and tribars.

    OR

    go to a pro bike fitting shop and get the job done properly

    Take your time

    Good luck

    Cow Parsley Man

  7. Dani

    Dani Guest

  8. su22

    su22 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2003
    thanks heaps for the tips! i checked out those webpages-- i think i hate the bike-tech bit of triathlon. it's way too complicated and too much bike tech is nerdy anyway!

    i think im just going to stick with what feels good (and foget the maths and angles), and just ride more as you all have said.

    Su