Trouble with beans?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Feb 6, 2006.

  1. Hi All,
    I am new to the group and new to diabetes. I was just diagnosed at 34
    with T1. My first week with Lantus long-acting and Novolog
    short-acting went pretty well, though I need to make some adjustments
    to protect against hypos--got candybars in my purse for the first time
    in my life!

    I wonder if anyone has had trouble with timing of beans and their
    short-acting insulin? I had a beautiful steak last night with a simple
    bean cassarole (black and red beans, tomatoes, salsa, peppers, onions,
    cheese, baked with corn tortillas layered like a lasagna--very simple).
    I would say I had approximately 3-4 tablespoons of the beans and
    possibly 1/4 lb of steak--porterhouse BBQ'd--so yummy.

    I started with 5 units of Novolog, had dinner and then two hours in I
    was super hypo at 55 BG. I thought it was a conservative dosage, too.
    But even after 13g of carbs in an ice cream bar, it took FOREVER to
    climb back up (OK, forever=four hours). Now in the morning, I'm way
    high at 200 FBG.

    Can anyone offer some insight in how they deal with beans and
    short-acting insulins? Should I take my insulin later when I'm having
    beans? Is there something with the steak that inhibited absorption of
    either beans or insulin? I'm very confused and going back to oatmeal
    all day every day.

    Thanks,
    -Lisa

    Tags:

  2. Nicky

    Nicky Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Hi All,
    > I am new to the group and new to diabetes. I was just diagnosed at 34
    > with T1.

    Lisa, try alt.support.diabetes, if you haven't already.

    Nicky.

    --
    A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
    1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

  3. BJPruett

    BJPruett Guest

    Lisa,

    The simple fact is that you had a huge amount of sugar in your meal.

    It wasn't just the variety of beans, it was also the tortillas, BBQ
    sauce, salsa, and
    even the tomatoes (to a lesser extent). All of these foods are HIGH in
    carbs.

    All carbs turn into sugar once they enter your body.

    To help with your problem, learn to identify the amount of carbs in each
    of the items you will be eating;
    i.e., the amount of sugar you will be sending into your body. And to a
    certain extent, watch how you cook your foods. Some methods add to the
    carb total, others don't.

    Keep the carbs low! Limit yourself to a specific number of carbs per
    day or per meal.

    If you want beans, that's OK. Just learn to count the carbs into your
    plan BEFORE you cook and eat your meal. And have only a small
    serving... and work to severely decrease the carbs in the rest of the meal.

    The goal is to keep as much sugar out of your body as possible!

    Barbara

    [email protected] wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >I am new to the group and new to diabetes. I was just diagnosed at 34
    >with T1. My first week with Lantus long-acting and Novolog
    >short-acting went pretty well, though I need to make some adjustments
    >to protect against hypos--got candybars in my purse for the first time
    >in my life!
    >
    >I wonder if anyone has had trouble with timing of beans and their
    >short-acting insulin? I had a beautiful steak last night with a simple
    >bean cassarole (black and red beans, tomatoes, salsa, peppers, onions,
    >cheese, baked with corn tortillas layered like a lasagna--very simple).
    > I would say I had approximately 3-4 tablespoons of the beans and
    >possibly 1/4 lb of steak--porterhouse BBQ'd--so yummy.
    >
    >I started with 5 units of Novolog, had dinner and then two hours in I
    >was super hypo at 55 BG. I thought it was a conservative dosage, too.
    >But even after 13g of carbs in an ice cream bar, it took FOREVER to
    >climb back up (OK, forever=four hours). Now in the morning, I'm way
    >high at 200 FBG.
    >
    >Can anyone offer some insight in how they deal with beans and
    >short-acting insulins? Should I take my insulin later when I'm having
    >beans? Is there something with the steak that inhibited absorption of
    >either beans or insulin? I'm very confused and going back to oatmeal
    >all day every day.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >-Lisa

  4. Hi Barbara,
    I understand that there was a lot of sugar there, which is why I am
    confused I went hypoglycemic. Why did my blood sugar fall and stay low
    for so long? That's my question.

    It would make more sense if I went high and stayed high, but it's all
    backwards.

    Thanks,
    -L.

  5. Nicky

    Nicky Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]roups.com...
    > Hi Barbara,
    > I understand that there was a lot of sugar there, which is why I am
    > confused I went hypoglycemic. Why did my blood sugar fall and stay low
    > for so long? That's my question.
    >
    > It would make more sense if I went high and stayed high, but it's all
    > backwards.

    Lisa - try the right newsgroup. I don't give dietary advice to T1s, you're
    too different - alt.support.diabetes has plenty of people who understand
    your specific problems.

    Nicky.