Troubles with pacemaker and cordless headphones

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Angelo Basteris, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Good morning, I've an uncle who experienced problems with a pacemaker(his pulses increased from 60
    to 90), due to the use of radiofrequency cordless headphones. He verified the pulses a few minutes
    after the use of the headphones, in the evening, and then measured it this morning and they were
    decreased to 70. I thought, and some university lecturer told me that the electromagnetic field
    produced by cordless headphone was too weak to produce effects on pacemaker, and I'd like to know if
    it's true. So, if someone knows something about that or had the same problem, I'm grateful to share
    the experience! The pacemaker is made by Pacesetter, model Identity, and the headphones are Irradio
    ARF-110(or something like that). Thanks, Angelo Basteris

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Angelo Basteris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Good morning, I've an uncle who experienced problems with a pacemaker(his pulses increased from 60
    > to 90), due to the use of radiofrequency cordless headphones. He verified the pulses a few minutes
    > after the use of the headphones, in the evening, and then measured it this morning and they were
    > decreased to 70. I thought, and some university lecturer told me that the electromagnetic field
    > produced by cordless headphone was too weak to produce effects on pacemaker, and I'd like to know
    > if it's true. So, if someone knows something about that or had the same problem, I'm grateful to
    > share the experience! The pacemaker is made by Pacesetter, model Identity, and the headphones are
    > Irradio ARF-110(or something like that). Thanks, Angelo Basteris

    I doubt that is true, particularly since I assume the headphones are a receiver rather than a
    transmitter of RF signals - i.e. sorta like a portable radio. However, the following site has phone
    numbers and email addresses you can use to contact the manufacturer with concerns:

    http://www.sjm.com/devices/clinicianinformation.aspx?name=Identity%26%23174%3B+ADx+Pacemaker&locati-
    on=us&type=2

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/37qvp