Troubleshoot new Shimano Flightdeck

Dan Becker

Guest
New 10-spd wireless Flightdeck SC-6502 married to new Dura-Ace ST-7800
shift levers; crankset is double.

The computer remains non-responsive on indicating the large chainring.
It is properly programmed as near as I can tell; I've been through it
several times. However, it will only indicate the small chainring. This
of course really messes up the cadence calculator when I'm on the large
chainring...turns me into a championship spinner :)

What is the best way to troubleshoot this? LBS is no help; they don't
trade in Flightdeck. I'm trying to determine if it is the shifter, the
sensor that screws to the shifter, or the computer.

Only thing I can think of is to try to get access to another left
shifter, connect the sensor to it, and see if it works with a different
shifter. If that doesn't do it, then I'm stumped.

Is this a common problem with a known solution, or is it an anomaly?
Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Dan

> The computer remains non-responsive on indicating the large chainring.
> It is properly programmed as near as I can tell; I've been through it
> several times. However, it will only indicate the small chainring. This
> of course really messes up the cadence calculator when I'm on the large
> chainring...turns me into a championship spinner :)
>
> What is the best way to troubleshoot this? LBS is no help; they don't
> trade in Flightdeck. I'm trying to determine if it is the shifter, the
> sensor that screws to the shifter, or the computer.
>
> Only thing I can think of is to try to get access to another left
> shifter, connect the sensor to it, and see if it works with a different
> shifter. If that doesn't do it, then I'm stumped.
>
> Is this a common problem with a known solution, or is it an anomaly?
> Any advice would be most welcome.

Flight Deck computers are interesting gadgets. They have a notoriously-high
"defect" rate when installed by someone who's only done a handful of them,
but our guys who have installed hundreds of them? Virtually never a problem.

The most-likely culprit is the interface between wiring harness and STI
lever. Sometimes it requires a thin shim (piece of paper) to apply a bit
more pressure to the contacts. Sometimes it requires a bit of contact
cleaner (a pencil eraser works pretty well, just clean out the debris
afterward so it doesn't fall into the lever).

But if those don't fix it, then substituting other parts until you find out
what's causing the problem is the only alternative.

Well, one last thing I'd try would be to do a hard reset on the computer.
You need to not only remove the battery, but short out the contacts for
maybe 20 seconds. Then start it back up again and see if that fixes it.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Dan Becker wrote:
> New 10-spd wireless Flightdeck SC-6502 married to new Dura-Ace ST-7800
> shift levers; crankset is double.
>
> The computer remains non-responsive on indicating the large chainring.
> It is properly programmed as near as I can tell; I've been through it
> several times. However, it will only indicate the small chainring. This
> of course really messes up the cadence calculator when I'm on the large
> chainring...turns me into a championship spinner :)
>
> What is the best way to troubleshoot this? LBS is no help; they don't
> trade in Flightdeck. I'm trying to determine if it is the shifter, the
> sensor that screws to the shifter, or the computer.

Unforunately, the ONLY way is to hook up another lever and see if it
works. I had to do this, after changing the harness(no luck) and then
warrantied the lever-

> Only thing I can think of is to try to get access to another left
> shifter, connect the sensor to it, and see if it works with a different
> shifter. If that doesn't do it, then I'm stumped.
>
> Is this a common problem with a known solution, or is it an anomaly?
> Any advice would be most welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Thanks for the replies. I'll just work my way through it then.

Dan