Trouser Crisis

Dulwich Cyclist

Guest
In a vain attempt to create a wardrobe that is comfortable on the bike and
presentable in meetings, without getting changed, i recently bought a pair
of Gore Windstopper trousers in the Evans sale at the Cut in Waterloo £50
from £74.
I would not recommend them as front pockets are not deep and side cargo
pockets not secure enough to retain keys and change when sitting down.
Anyone got any better solutions?
Paul

Dulwich Cyclist wrote:

> In a vain attempt to create a wardrobe that is comfortable on the bike and
> presentable in meetings, without getting changed, i recently bought a pair
> of Gore Windstopper trousers in the Evans sale at the Cut in Waterloo ï½£50
> from ï½£74.
> I would not recommend them as front pockets are not deep and side cargo
> pockets not secure enough to retain keys and change when sitting down.
> Anyone got any better solutions?

I use a small bum-bag for things like keys, money, pda. It gets less
sweaty than a rear shirt pocket (which a lot of my cycling clothing
doesn't have anyway) and things don't rattle around, plus it keeps the
valuables together conveniently.

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

Sorry to pervert your thread, but I've a question about Ronhill
bikesters. Thanks to the regulars for the recommendation, by the way,
I bought the el cheapo version and they're so good I want to get more.
There are a whole lot of similar ones on wiggle, though, and I'm not
sure if I should get any of the other versions?

James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:

: I use a small bum-bag for things like keys, money, pda. It gets less
: sweaty than a rear shirt pocket (which a lot of my cycling clothing
: doesn't have anyway) and things don't rattle around, plus it keeps the
: valuables together conveniently.

The trouble is that the OP asked for a better solution :) Bum bags
are just look so awful that I can't contemplate wearing them as
an everyday item of clothing.

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

Arthur Clune wrote:

> James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : I use a small bum-bag for things like keys, money, pda. It gets less
> : sweaty than a rear shirt pocket (which a lot of my cycling clothing
> : doesn't have anyway) and things don't rattle around, plus it keeps the
> : valuables together conveniently.
>
> The trouble is that the OP asked for a better solution :) Bum bags
> are just look so awful that I can't contemplate wearing them as
> an everyday item of clothing.

You can take it off at your destination!

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

"LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sorry to pervert your thread, but I've a question about Ronhill
> bikesters. Thanks to the regulars for the recommendation, by the way,
> I bought the el cheapo version and they're so good I want to get more.
> There are a whole lot of similar ones on wiggle, though, and I'm not
> sure if I should get any of the other versions?

I've got a pair of the Field & Trek version of Bikesters and they aren't
*quite* the same - less high at the back a tad I think. I prefer the real
thing ;-) Anyhow, you can pick up Bikesters for £11.99 on Wiggle & about the
same on ProBikeKit, which is remarkably reasonable. On the point of looking
"normal" I suppose one could always remove the reflective band from the rear
of each leg by simply carefully unpicking the stitching, so they they have
more of a "normal" look about them. Could always use reflective/fluorescent
trouser clips for added visibility when on the bike.

Cheers, helen s

Dulwich Cyclist wrote:
> In a vain attempt to create a wardrobe that is comfortable on the bike and
> presentable in meetings, without getting changed

It would help if you define "presentable in meetings" more closely...

For reasonably presentable kit which is okay on a bike, I'd look at
travel clothing as it's designed to be not too scruffy while preserving
freedom of action and usually relying on fairly high-spec fabrics that
are fast drying and light, all handy on a bike. Rohan have taken this
approach up to formal business suit levels if that's a degree of
smartness you need, though there are plenty of choices for "fairly
smart" if you can get away with that. Any outdoor shop should have a
pile, as travel clothing is apparently the New Black.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Thanks for the rohan suggestion
i want to avoid trouserclips and tucking trousers in socks.
So the wrap around bits on cycling trousers are good for that.
Presentable means for me it's ok to look cycley but not too cycley.
I commute to london and want to get off the bike and go into a meeting
without changing.
Thanks all who posted.
paul

Helen C Simmons wrote:

> I've got a pair of the Field & Trek version of Bikesters and they

aren't
> *quite* the same - less high at the back a tad I think. I prefer the

real
> thing ;-) Anyhow, you can pick up Bikesters for £11.99 on Wiggle &

about the
> same on ProBikeKit, which is remarkably reasonable. On the point of

looking
> "normal" I suppose one could always remove the reflective band from

the rear
> of each leg by simply carefully unpicking the stitching, so they they

have
> more of a "normal" look about them. Could always use

reflective/fluorescent
> trouser clips for added visibility when on the bike.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Cheers, yes I remember reading your previous post to that effect. I've
got the 11.99 jobbies from wiggle, I was wondering if the more
expensive versions were any better since they mention "waterproofing".
Otherwise I'll just get some more of the el cheapos.

Luckily I don't need to worry about looking "presentable" like Dulwich
cyclist in my job, lycra is fine. By coincidence I live only just down
the road too.

"LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>Cheers, yes I remember reading your previous post to that effect. I've
>got the 11.99 jobbies from wiggle, I was wondering if the more
>expensive versions were any better since they mention "waterproofing".
>Otherwise I'll just get some more of the el cheapos.

I haven't got any of the more expensive ones. I have a pair of waterproof
overtrousers which I've worn exactly zero times. I find that for the rain
generally, the Bikesters dry out so quickly that getting wet isn't actually
a problem. if it's cold I stick a pair of longjohns on underneath and so
far, that's been perfectly adequate for the cycling I do. Nathan has a pair
of same overtrousers (Tchibo special...) and he's used them over the winter
for cycling to & from college in the rain if it's been heavy'ish rain.

>Luckily I don't need to worry about looking "presentable" like Dulwich
>cyclist in my job, lycra is fine. By coincidence I live only just down
>the road too.

Down the road from me or Dulwich cyclist??

Cheers, helen s

LSMike wrote:

> Cheers, yes I remember reading your previous post to that effect. I've
> got the 11.99 jobbies from wiggle, I was wondering if the more
> expensive versions were any better since they mention "waterproofing".

DXB isn't waterproofing, it's a light repellency treatment that helps
keep drizzle from soaking in too quickly. It helps a bit, but do /not/
expect "waterproof". You'll dry out pretty quickly even in standard
tracksters/bikesters.

Pete.
--

wafflycat wrote:
> I haven't got any of the more expensive ones. I have a pair of

waterproof
> overtrousers which I've worn exactly zero times. I find that for the

rain
> generally, the Bikesters dry out so quickly that getting wet isn't

actually
> a problem.

LOL me too. Only time I've used the overtrousers is when it's really
cold as emergency extra warmth.

> if it's cold I stick a pair of longjohns on underneath and so
> far, that's been perfectly adequate for the cycling I do. Nathan has

a pair
> of same overtrousers (Tchibo special...) and he's used them over the

winter
> for cycling to & from college in the rain if it's been heavy'ish

rain.

> >Luckily I don't need to worry about looking "presentable" like

Dulwich
> >cyclist in my job, lycra is fine. By coincidence I live only just

down
> >the road too.

> Down the road from me or Dulwich cyclist??

Dulwich Cyclist. Hopefully I'm out of range down here. ;)

> Cheers, helen s

Cheers,
Mike.

Peter Clinch wrote:
> DXB isn't waterproofing, it's a light repellency treatment that helps

> keep drizzle from soaking in too quickly. It helps a bit, but do

/not/
> expect "waterproof". You'll dry out pretty quickly even in standard
> tracksters/bikesters.

Cheers, much as I thought, hence the "". :)

On 16/2/05 10:55 am, in article
[email protected], "LSMike"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> wafflycat wrote:
>> I haven't got any of the more expensive ones. I have a pair of

> waterproof
>> overtrousers which I've worn exactly zero times. I find that for the

> rain
>> generally, the Bikesters dry out so quickly that getting wet isn't

> actually
>> a problem.

> LOL me too. Only time I've used the overtrousers is when it's really
> cold as emergency extra warmth.

Same here. The only time I have worn overtrousers for cycling was when it
was -10 or colder.

...d

David Martin wrote:

> Same here. The only time I have worn overtrousers for cycling was when it
> was -10 or colder.

If I've got an A to B and it's sheeting it down before I even start,
I'll pop them on and be glad, or if there's the prospect of riding for
hours through non-stop Real Rain on a coldish day I'll use them. Other
than that we are in Stan territory though...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:24:01 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>are fast drying and light, all handy on a bike. Rohan have taken this
>approach up to formal business suit levels if that's a degree of
>smartness you need, though there are plenty of choices for "fairly
>smart" if you can get away with that. Any outdoor shop should have a
>pile, as travel clothing is apparently the New Black.

Oooh, there is a Rohan near me - I've never been in before. I always
thought it was some hairdresser or massage parlour or something...

--
Jesus was apparently betrayed by 8.3% of his disciples.

Richard Bates wrote:

> Oooh, there is a Rohan near me - I've never been in before. I always
> thought it was some hairdresser or massage parlour or something...

Be warned that many regular Rohan users only ever buy stuff in the
sales, when the prices come down to what you might normally think should
be the regular prices... cheap they ain't, but their stuff generally
does what it says on the tin IME.

I've not come across anyone else using quite the same approach for
travel clothing up to business suits, but for more everyday looking
stuff there are plenty of alternatives in other outdoor shops.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Cheers, yes I remember reading your previous post to that effect. I've
got the 11.99 jobbies from wiggle, I was wondering if the more
expensive versions were any better since they mention "waterproofing".
Otherwise I'll just get some more of the el cheapos.

Luckily I don't need to worry about looking "presentable" like Dulwich
cyclist in my job, lycra is fine. By coincidence I live only just down
the road too.

Just a bit of feedback. I was cycling tonight in some fairly determined
heavy drizzle. My legs basically didn't get wet and remained warm- I was
wearing basic RonHill Bikesters.

Cheers, helen s