True drunk driving story.

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as "Just zis
Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> breathed:
>On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:49:12 +0100, Pyromancer
><[email protected]> wrote in message
><[email protected]>:

>>So, someone is driving along at 25 mph in a 30 zone through (say) a
>>badly lit old industrial area, well away from both housing and pubs,
>>when all of a sudden a drunk cyclist with no lights comes shooting out
>>of a built-up side-road directly ahead at high speed, the driver swerves
>>to avoid the cyclist, succeeds but causes a truck coming the other way
>>to also swerve and collide with a parked vehicle, and somehow you think
>>that's the first car driver's fault?

>Exactly. You really have to grope for an example which is even
>vaguely believable; it's a very unlikely scenario indeed.

Possibly, but something like it happened to me in the Kelham Island area
of Sheffield. Ok, there was no oncoming truck and no actual accident,
but the nutter on the unlit bike who came screaming down from under the
railway bridge, straight through a red light, did cause me to do an
emergency stop in the middle of the junction.

And don't try to tell me nutters on bikes jumping red lights are
uncommon, as I used to see several a day in Sheffield, though they do
seem rarer in Leeds.

>Much more
>likely is that the driver will be doing 40 in the 30 limit, the
>cyclist will die and the driver will not even be prosecuted.

I'll merrily do 90 on a quiet country motorway, but around town I tend
to drop to 3rd gear and stick between 25 and 30. Partly because staying
under the limit (well under in bad conditions) is the right thing to do,
partly because I'm opting out of paying the so-called camera tax, partly
because it makes it easier to be nice to other cyclists, in the hope of
karmic returns when I'm cycling, and partly because I'm very well aware
just how much momentum a moving motor vehicle has.

>And don't forget that the majority of cyclists KSI are not at fault.

I'm well aware of that, having seen some of the idiocy on the roads from
motor vehicle drivers. Just the other day I saw a sleeping truck driver
demolish a tall roadworks sign with his mirror, he jerked awake at the
bang, swerved back into lane and carried on, the remains of the mirror
hanging from its frame and the sign falling onto an adjacent roadway
(this was at a Y junction).

>88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

You'll be pleased to know I don't wear one - having read all the info, I
don't think the discomfort and extra hassle (as in nutters throwing
stuff, etc) one would cause is worth the minimal gains in protection it
would give. A motorbike helmet would be effective protection, but I
really don't fancy cycling in one of those!

--
- Pyromancer.
- http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> And yet another true story you can't make up. One of the aged worthies
> of this village is the Guid Sir James, regularly found on a barstool in
> the pub. The day the barman said to him 'no anither, Jamie - ye're
> legless' goes down in the village annals, for indeed he was, having
> carelessly left them behind in a Spitfire sometime during the second
> war.

.... which would in itself lower his capacity for alcohol as his blood
capacity has been reduced by 2 legfuls.

--
Dave...

On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:23:46 +0100, Pyromancer
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

[snip fanciful tale of cyclist causing crash]

>>Exactly. You really have to grope for an example which is even
>>vaguely believable; it's a very unlikely scenario indeed.

>Possibly, but something like it happened to me in the Kelham Island area
>of Sheffield. Ok, there was no oncoming truck and no actual accident,

See what I mean?

>And don't try to tell me nutters on bikes jumping red lights are
>uncommon, as I used to see several a day in Sheffield, though they do
>seem rarer in Leeds.

Indeed. And nutters in cars jumping red lights are pretty common as
well ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as "Just zis
Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> breathed:
>On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:23:46 +0100, Pyromancer
><[email protected]> wrote in message
><[email protected]>:

>>Possibly, but something like it happened to me in the Kelham Island area
>>of Sheffield. Ok, there was no oncoming truck and no actual accident,

>See what I mean?

You've completely missed the point.

>>And don't try to tell me nutters on bikes jumping red lights are
>>uncommon, as I used to see several a day in Sheffield, though they do
>>seem rarer in Leeds.

>Indeed. And nutters in cars jumping red lights are pretty common as
>well ;-)

But nothing like as common. I'd estimate that slightly more than half
of all the people on bikes I see pay no heed to traffic lights at all,
hence why it's noteworthy when a cyclist behaves properly. On the other
hand most car drivers tend to obey the lights with only obvious nutters
ignoring them.

TBH, it's when I'm cycling and stopped at lights that the idiots on
bikes who ignore them annoy me most. In a car they're just a nuisance
and an extra hazard to watch for, but when I'm on a bike I feel they're
insulting me personally, and all other law-abiding cyclists as well by
convincing the great ub-biked that we're all dangerous idiots.

--
- Pyromancer.
- http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!
- http://www.littlematchgirl.co.uk <-- Electronic Metal!
- http://www.revival.stormshadow.com <-- The Gothic Revival.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:06:09 +0100, Pyromancer
<[email protected]>:

>>>Possibly, but something like it happened to me in the Kelham Island area
>>>of Sheffield. Ok, there was no oncoming truck and no actual accident,

>>See what I mean?

>You've completely missed the point.

No, I haven't. Like you said, there was no crash.

>>>And don't try to tell me nutters on bikes jumping red lights are
>>>uncommon, as I used to see several a day in Sheffield, though they do
>>>seem rarer in Leeds.

>>Indeed. And nutters in cars jumping red lights are pretty common as
>>well ;-)

>But nothing like as common.

Your Nutters May Vary. There is a set of traffic lights on the way to
work where it is not at all uncommon for drivers to go through in the
middle of the red phase.

>I'd estimate that slightly more than half
>of all the people on bikes I see pay no heed to traffic lights at all,
>hence why it's noteworthy when a cyclist behaves properly.

50% is noteworthy? Er, right. So "one cyclist jumped a red light
therefore all cyclists jumped all red lights," right?

>On the other
>hand most car drivers tend to obey the lights with only obvious nutters
>ignoring them.

Except for the ones who speed up when they turn amber and go through
on red. This has been discussed before: it only takes one driver to
stop, so if 50% of all drivers are congenital red-light jumpers most
traffic lights will still end up with the cars stationeryvery soon
after going red.

Of course, I am basing my opinion on the cyclists I see, very few of
whom ride on the pavement, fail to use lights, or jump the red.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? [email protected] opined the
following...
> Of course, I am basing my opinion on the cyclists I see, very few of
> whom ride on the pavement, fail to use lights, or jump the red.

As you so rightly pointed out "Your Nutters May Vary". Up here it
depends on the time of day. I'd say that a sizeable majority (80-90%) of
the commuter-cyclists follow the rules of the road perfectly. Get out of
commuting time however. While patiently sat at a red light, a horde (~8)
of BMX riding "big kids" passed me on both sides and jumped the light.
They seemed to ignore the call of "Get a real bike, and learn to ride"
since none of them shouted any abuse in return!

Jon

Jon Senior wrote:

> "Get a real bike, and learn to ride"

I always shout "Push it!" at pavement POBs. Only when I'm on my bike,
though.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 19:56:59 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>Get out of
>commuting time however. While patiently sat at a red light, a horde (~8)
>of BMX riding "big kids" passed me on both sides and jumped the light.
>They seemed to ignore the call of "Get a real bike, and learn to ride"
>since none of them shouted any abuse in return!

Are you suggesting that adolescent males display less than perfect
respect for the rules? Shame on you!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? [email protected] opined the
following...
> Are you suggesting that adolescent males display less than perfect
> respect for the rules? Shame on you!

Careful. From the lesser side of 25 I'm still desperately clinging to my
position as adolescent! Besides the "Big Kids" in question were not much
younger than me. I think it's something to do with riding a kids bike,
it makes it harder to understand the rules of the road... or something.

Jon

Pyromancer <[email protected]> writes:

> TBH, it's when I'm cycling and stopped at lights that the idiots on
> bikes who ignore them annoy me most. In a car they're just a nuisance
> and an extra hazard to watch for, but when I'm on a bike I feel they're
> insulting me personally, and all other law-abiding cyclists as well by
> convincing the great ub-biked that we're all dangerous idiots.

Although I used to get very annoyed about people ignoring lights,
after a few months commuting in London I'm drawn to the idea myself,
simply because there are so many more light-controlled junctions than
anywhere else I've cycled regularly. They exist in such numbers, I'm
sure, to manage traffic flow, and most of the traffic by volume is
cars. Yes, so it's illegal, and involves a certain extra risk (but
compared to the risk of filtering between the columns of queuing cars
on the way to the front?) but actually immoral? Not sure. Certainly
there are places on my commute where a cyclist or other narrow vehicle
turning left on red is unlikely to inconvenience anyone.

I haven't yet given in to this urge. As a result of this "only
cyclist on the road stopping for traffic lights" policy, I sometimes
find I'm repeatedly overtaking and being overtaken by the same cyclist
most of the way home. I'm getting interval training, and he's not
even pushing. Ho hum.

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"