True or False...Lance Armstrong would

steve26

Apr 2, 2005
Lance Armstrong would win this year's tour by 10+ minutes.

Probably kicking himself now...he would have won so easily.

The thought crossed my mind as well. He would have sailed alone up those mountains.

But it would have made for a very boring tour... I want to see the other Discovery boys drive everyone crazy, they have a number of possible leaders out there, who would the pelaton leave alone? Savo? GH? Popo?

True or false: Eddy Merckx would win this tour by 30 minutes?

Seriously though how can anyone tell. Maybe the standard of the other guys has gotten better and lance might have finally gone downhill if he trained this year aswell ala Indurain 96. Just enjoy.

Durangodave said:
Lance is lucky he got OUT of racing before this years Tour.
Do you think he perhaps organised all this scandal to happen now rather than a year ago? After all, he is the devil.

patch70 said:
Do you think he perhaps organised all this scandal to happen now rather than a year ago? After all, he is the devil.
Oh fer cryin out loud. I was pulling for him in every tour he was in. He was lucky to do seven TdF's in which, despite various distractions, the cycling was the MAIN story.

I'm a fan of Lance (and many others), but I'm agnostic about the possibility of his doping. It's an awkward spot for a sports fan, but I think fans of ANY rider might find themselves in that position these days.

Durangodave said:
Lance is lucky he got OUT of racing before this years Tour.
Lance doesn't have anything to do with Fuentes. He has other doctors.

dm69 said:
True or false: Eddy Merckx would win this tour by 30 minutes?

Seriously though how can anyone tell. Maybe the standard of the other guys has gotten better and lance might have finally gone downhill if he trained this year aswell ala Indurain 96. Just enjoy.
Merckx win by 30 mins? They now test for 50% hematocrit level.

People said Lance was losing it after the 2003 tour. Do you recall the 2004 tour?

Durangodave said:
Oh fer cryin out loud. I was pulling for him in every tour he was in. He was lucky to do seven TdF's in which, despite various distractions, the cycling was the MAIN story.

I'm a fan of Lance (and many others), but I'm agnostic about the possibility of his doping. It's an awkward spot for a sports fan, but I think fans of ANY rider might find themselves in that position these days.
Fer cryin out loud, how do you not see that my comment was a joke???? Lighten up a little.

I think Lance is convinced more than ever that he retired at the right time.

patch70 said:
Fer cryin out loud, how do you not see that my comment was a joke???? Lighten up a little.
Oh fer Pete's sake, that's a good question actually. I guess I've seen so many bullets flying around this forum that I instinctively ducked. :)

steve26 said:
Lance Armstrong would win this year's tour by 10+ minutes.

Probably kicking himself now...he would have won so easily.
rubbish,

Armstrong didnt retire because he thought the competition was too tough...

I don't think cycling has anything to do with his retiring. He now gets to enjoy the fruits of his efforts. He got to ride in the INdy 500 pace car, go to Cannes film festival, ride RAGBRAI, and gets to train for the NY Runny Thing.
To allude that he retired because of the upcoming drug scandal is silly. His name is not attached to it. Oh yeah ...... He got to host the Espy's....

And the simple fact he is older now. Old age is one competitor that solid training cannot defeat. Retiring while on top is something very few athletes get to do.

As this scandal moves forward, we forget that it has involved very few cycling champions of today. Boonen is not involved. Zabel is not involved. The list goes on and on.

wolfix said:
Boonen is not involved. Zabel is not involved. The list goes on and on.
Although that is all well and good and we'll give them the benefit of the doubt, there are a whole lot of other "dodgey doctors" out there. Just because these riders are not implicated with Dr Fuentes, they are not necessarily innocent. Lance's buddy Dr Ferrari did not just look after Lance. Dr Cecchini has a close association with Team CSC and other riders also. Riders that have been caught eg Millar did not work with Fuentes...

patch70 said:
Although that is all well and good and we'll give them the benefit of the doubt, there are a whole lot of other "dodgey doctors" out there. Just because these riders are not implicated with Dr Fuentes, they are not necessarily innocent. Lance's buddy Dr Ferrari did not just look after Lance. Dr Cecchini has a close association with Team CSC and other riders also. Riders that have been caught eg Millar did not work with Fuentes...
Rogers, Sinkewitz of T-mobile have been found out to have worked with Dr Ferrari recently. They make it clear that every rider has to sign a declaration that they do not/won't work with the doctor. Lance must be outraged! Who bets he doesn't challenge T-mobile?

Ullefan said:
Rogers, Sinkewitz of T-mobile have been found out to have worked with Dr Ferrari recently. They make it clear that every rider has to sign a declaration that they do not/won't work with the doctor. Lance must be outraged! Who bets he doesn't challenge T-mobile?
Lance stopped working with Ferrari a few years ago.

wolfix said:
Lance stopped working with Ferrari a few years ago.

How do you know?

I suppose you think Chris Carmichael was the one laying out all of Lance's training plans too?