trued my first wheel

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Mar 24, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.

    ;-)

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:20:15 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.
    >
    >;-)
    >
    >Penny

    You'll be building them next.

    Nice progress Penny!

    :-]

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:20:15 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.
    > >
    > >;-)
    > >
    > >Penny
    > >
    > You'll be building them next.
    >
    > Nice progress Penny!

    Aye! Way to go P ',;~}

    I got to build me my first one very shortly...... ;-(

    Shaun aRe - skeeret!

  4. Candt

    Candt Guest

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:20:15 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.
    >
    >;-)
    >
    >Penny

    I was about to tackle the very same job - only a minor straightening needed, but any tips?

    Do you really need a trueing watchamacallit? wont the brake blocks (don't laugh
    - discs are expensive), do the same job on an upside-down bike?

    Cheers,

    CandT

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    CandT wrote:

    > I was about to tackle the very same job - only a minor straightening needed, but any tips?

    It all works on tension - tighten a spoke and it pulls. Make small adjustments (1/2 turns) and watch
    the effect.

    > Do you really need a trueing watchamacallit? wont the brake blocks (don't laugh
    > - discs are expensive), do the same job on an upside-down bike?

    Of course you don't need a truing stand. Brake blocks are more than acceptable - just make sure your
    brakes are centred first.

  6. Penny S. wrote:
    > and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.

    this is the one you want:

    VAR 51/13 Professional model http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools-h-z.html#wheel (It is what I
    use and reccomend)

    The DT is SWEET but seriously overkill for the home wrench... I don't even have one! Okay I WANT one
    but I'd never buy it for myself.

  7. Bill Wheeler wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:20:15 -0800, "Penny S."
    >>and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.

    > You'll be building them next.

    I was thinking the same thing......

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    CandT wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:20:15 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.
    >>
    >> ;-)
    >>
    >> Penny
    >>

    > I was about to tackle the very same job - only a minor straightening needed, but any tips?
    >
    > Do you really need a trueing watchamacallit? wont the brake blocks (don't laugh
    > - discs are expensive), do the same job on an upside-down bike?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > CandT

    look up the thread on Wheel Wobble from just a few days ago. If someone can show you the basics
    you'll be on the way. It took me a few minutes to get whcih way to turn what spokes for what effect.
    I just turned my bike upside down and used the frame and brakes for reference.

    Penny

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.

    I remember when I trued my first wheel. I must have been 8 or 9.

    JD jumping Sting Rays so long ago

  10. John G

    John G Guest

    JD wrote:
    > I remember when I trued my first wheel. I must have been 8 or 9.
    >
    > JD jumping Sting Rays so long ago

    Mine was an "Orange Crate"

  11. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Penny S. wrote:
    > > and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.
    >
    > this is the one you want:
    >
    > VAR 51/13 Professional model http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools-h-z.html#wheel (It is what I
    > use and reccomend)
    >
    > The DT is SWEET but seriously overkill for the home wrench... I don't even have one! Okay I WANT
    > one but I'd never buy it for myself.

    The Spokey (just below the VAR wrench) is a good one to carry with you on the trail and for
    occasional use at home.

    Mike

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  13. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Michael Dart wrote:
    >
    > > The Spokey (just below the VAR wrench) is a good one to carry with you
    on
    > > the trail and for occasional use at home.
    >
    > File down the sides of the Spokey to allow complete revolutions.

    Are you talkin' 48 spoke BMX wheels? I have no probs with clearance even with 36 spokes.

    Mike