trued my first wheel

Penny S.

Guest
and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.

;-)

Penny

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:20:15 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.
>
>;-)
>
>Penny

You'll be building them next.

Nice progress Penny!

:-]

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:20:15 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.
> >
> >;-)
> >
> >Penny
> >
> You'll be building them next.
>
> Nice progress Penny!

Aye! Way to go P ',;~}

I got to build me my first one very shortly...... ;-(

Shaun aRe - skeeret!

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:20:15 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.
>
>;-)
>
>Penny

I was about to tackle the very same job - only a minor straightening needed, but any tips?

Do you really need a trueing watchamacallit? wont the brake blocks (don't laugh
- discs are expensive), do the same job on an upside-down bike?

Cheers,

CandT

CandT wrote:

> I was about to tackle the very same job - only a minor straightening needed, but any tips?

It all works on tension - tighten a spoke and it pulls. Make small adjustments (1/2 turns) and watch
the effect.

> Do you really need a trueing watchamacallit? wont the brake blocks (don't laugh
> - discs are expensive), do the same job on an upside-down bike?

Of course you don't need a truing stand. Brake blocks are more than acceptable - just make sure your
brakes are centred first.

Penny S. wrote:
> and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.

this is the one you want:

VAR 51/13 Professional model http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools-h-z.html#wheel (It is what I
use and reccomend)

The DT is SWEET but seriously overkill for the home wrench... I don't even have one! Okay I WANT one
but I'd never buy it for myself.

Bill Wheeler wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:20:15 -0800, "Penny S."
>>and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.

> You'll be building them next.

I was thinking the same thing......

CandT wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:20:15 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> Penny
>>

> I was about to tackle the very same job - only a minor straightening needed, but any tips?
>
> Do you really need a trueing watchamacallit? wont the brake blocks (don't laugh
> - discs are expensive), do the same job on an upside-down bike?
>
> Cheers,
>
> CandT

look up the thread on Wheel Wobble from just a few days ago. If someone can show you the basics
you'll be on the way. It took me a few minutes to get whcih way to turn what spokes for what effect.
I just turned my bike upside down and used the frame and brakes for reference.

Penny

JD wrote:
> I remember when I trued my first wheel. I must have been 8 or 9.
>
> JD jumping Sting Rays so long ago

Mine was an "Orange Crate"

> Penny S. wrote:
> > and hubby told me to go by a new/better spoke wrench.
>
> this is the one you want:
>
> VAR 51/13 Professional model http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools-h-z.html#wheel (It is what I
> use and reccomend)
>
> The DT is SWEET but seriously overkill for the home wrench... I don't even have one! Okay I WANT
> one but I'd never buy it for myself.

The Spokey (just below the VAR wrench) is a good one to carry with you on the trail and for
occasional use at home.

Mike

> Michael Dart wrote:
>
> > The Spokey (just below the VAR wrench) is a good one to carry with you
on
> > the trail and for occasional use at home.
>
> File down the sides of the Spokey to allow complete revolutions.

Are you talkin' 48 spoke BMX wheels? I have no probs with clearance even with 36 spokes.

Mike