Trunk Mounts

Tw00sh

Aug 1, 2009
I have a 2003 Mustang GT and need a trunch mounted bike rack. I was at my LBS and looked around but no one seems to know what would actually clear the wing on the back. I am hoping someone else on here might have the same vehicle and can recommend a trunk rack that will clear the wing in the back and still be stable. I am not too worried about price, just want something that is good quality.

Tw00sh said:
I have a 2003 Mustang GT and need a trunch mounted bike rack. I was at my LBS and looked around but no one seems to know what would actually clear the wing on the back. I am hoping someone else on here might have the same vehicle and can recommend a trunk rack that will clear the wing in the back and still be stable. I am not too worried about price, just want something that is good quality.
Go to your Ford dealer and ask about a rack. If there is one available, they will sell it as an accessory. If there is none, consider a hitch mount. All you need is a small receiver mounted under your license plate (I think there is room) and the rack is inserted into the receiver when you are using it.

I've used a strap on bike carrier for almost 20 years on several different cars.

And I would recommend getting a normal trailer hitch receiver mounted on your car and then purchasing a trailer hitch style bike rack that best suits your needs.

A trailer hitch type rack will be more secure ( you can buy a key locking style pin to secure it to the receiver), it will be stronger and able to carry more weight (it's directly connected to the receiver which is bolted to your car ), and it doesn't have any straps or pads that have to contact the paint job of your car.