Truthful "average" speeds

brian hughes <[email protected]> wrote:
: So it's just a mater of what's meant by your average speed:
: 1) Average everything (all rides and any type) under all conditions (wind, rain, snow, sleet,
: hauling heavy stuff, ...).
: 2) Calculate your average only during race/fast ride conditions.

With method 2), you could choose a very fast ride to look more impressive. Like 200m sprint with
flying start ;)

Is 54 km/h on an upright a good average? :-/

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
: That is why I like to report two numbers: Rolling average (the number reported by the bike
: computer when actually underway.) and 'Cruising Speed' (the number I see most often when I look
: down at my bike computer while under full power).

A sprint at full power would get one maybe 50 km/h, while a cruising speed would be more like 30
km/h, something one can easily maintain for a while (since people like to boast, we could safely
assume it's only 10, 20 minutes or so ;) Just goes to show how misleading these concepts can be...

From philosophy one can learn that natural language is notoriously vague.

[email protected] says...
> Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> : That is why I like to report two numbers: Rolling average (the number reported by the bike
> : computer when actually underway.) and 'Cruising Speed' (the number I see most often when I look
> : down at my bike computer while under full power).
>
> A sprint at full power would get one maybe 50 km/h, while a cruising speed would be more like 30
> km/h, something one can easily maintain for a while

Yes that might be about right. These are good numbers to talk about as long as everyone understands
the basis for them. If I were to report a crusing speed of 30 km/h, then my 'rolling average' might
re reported as 25 km/h

Some times in these threads, the basis for reported numbers are often omitted and vague and soon we
are talking 'apples to oranges'.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

> One of the concepts in training is that your muscles only get stronger when they are resting. For
> years the hammers in the club would tell me I would be a lot faster if I didn't ride so hard all
> the time. I finally took their advice and now I always follow a hard ride with either an easy one
> or an off day - and the long ones are never hard ones. On hard days I ride at 90% or more of my
> MHR, but the easy days I keep my pulse down around 115. After the long winter layoff, a rest day
> ride is pretty slow. But by the end of the summer, I can do 19 mph with that HR. That means I can
> go easier on long rides and still end up going faster than before. So the system seems to work.
>
> Now, if you are trying to improve your average riding speed, it is counter-productive to keep
> track of those easy rides - you are encouraging yourself to ride hard all the time, and thus never
> get the full benefit of your workouts.

That's probably good advice. I do something a little different and maybe not as effective. I once
read (on this board I think) that a person would do better overall (speed and fitness wise) if
he/she alternated between a recumbent and an upright. I don't know if that's true, but I kind of
took that advice to heart and I started (and still do) alternate between my bents and uprights on my
daily commutes. I ride one of my bents to work on Mon, Wed, & Fri and I ride my MTB on Tue and my DF
road bike on Thur.

Brian Tailwind/V-Rex