truvativ or shimano...I NEED HELP ERE

-m A s s-

Nov 8, 2003
im upgrading my crank...the onli problem is that alot a ppl are buzzing in my ear bout the shimano xt...but ppl tell me 2 get the truvativ stylo sl 03 model....can someone help me wif the pro`s and con`s if there are any?

I run XT and it rules, most transmission comes from the big s, so it has to be smooth. But, my M8 has just got a new orange with the race face prodigy crank, no difference in weight and feels stiffer than my XT and no difference in price and looks BOSS!. don't bother with the truvati, good cranks, but don't have the looks!

Originally posted by stevemtbsteve
I run XT and it rules, most transmission comes from the big s, so it has to be smooth. But, my M8 has just got a new orange with the race face prodigy crank, no difference in weight and feels stiffer than my XT and no difference in price and looks BOSS!. don't bother with the truvati, good cranks, but don't have the looks!

people either love shimano or hate it. it's definitely easy to install and maintain. I don't particularly like race face but I had a bad experience with some oem rings. but that's me. I say, go with what works for you!

Race Face makes some sweet stuff. I used to own their LP cranks. The rings shift very well but they still can't touch shimano. Their prodigy stuff is garbage though. Its mainly designed as cheap oem parts. The prodigy cranks are not very durable and the rings are trash. Its ok for the price but its still not that great.

Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
people either love shimano or hate it. it's definitely easy to install and maintain. I don't particularly like race face but I had a bad experience with some oem rings. but that's me. I say, go with what works for you!

must admit I had heard a few bad things about the race face rings over the last few years, but friends bike keeps cranking out crisps shifts and he is on his second chain (sram to mix things up a bit more) and we ride some pretty muddy trails in the UK. But his is the only race face crank I have had experience of. I also have to say the recessed decals on the arms keep them looking sweet, I fitted my XT's 9 months ago and the they look pretty ****ed (but they work perfect). certainly looks are not the main reason to buy, but I'm a bit of ponce and like things that look pretty but that's me. but as you say " I say, go with what works for you!"

Originally posted by Hecubus
Nothing shifts like shimano. Plus XT is cheaper...

are you sure that the xt is cheaper in my country the truvativ is goin for 92.10usd while the xt is goin for 110.50usd.....thats a hell loada diff in my country!!!but i still dont get it...whats bad bout the truvativ?

Originally posted by Hecubus
Their prodigy stuff is garbage though. Its mainly designed as cheap oem parts. The prodigy cranks are not very durable and the rings are trash. Its ok for the price but its still not that great.

BINGO!

Truvativ make decent kit and are being used by loads of manufacturers on their bikes because of it. They're also good value, as you've found out. So no real downside to them.
The argument really is if the benefits of the XT one is worth the extra. Certainly for the money the XT is an awesome piece of kit, and will almost certainly shift better than anything else you can buy. It's also probably lighter (haven't checked the Truvativ but the XT is very very light for the money).

so up to you really, if you're hard up for cash the Truvativ will do the job admirably, if you're prepared to pay for a performance benefit and a little weight then the Shimano is better