Truvativ Roleur/DMC X10 Chain shifting problem

Randy Hermann

Guest
I'm about 800-1000 miles in to a new drivetrain, built with a Truvativ
Roleur Carbon crankset, D/A derailleurs, and a KMC DX10 chain (as spec'd by
the manufacturer). Everything worked well initially, but the system has
started to have some serious problems:

1) Delay in shifting down from big ring to small ring, under any load
2) Chain hangs between large and small ring- the rings are literally
spinning without moving the chain as the teeth have not engaged the chain
3) Chain suck! I managed to get it to do it at slow speed and was amazed to
watch the chain snag one of the small pins on the inner face of the large
ring, then get carried up to the derailleur. Not good!
4) Surge shifting- it feels like the system slips a bit and then takes up
the slack. Possibly related to #2?

After the first episode of chain suck I gave everything a good cleaning and
lube job (using a dry lube, carefully applied, wiped off). The problem
became more noticeable. I've double checked the derailleur alignment and it
looks good to me (I've built many bikes, doesn't mean that I am an expert
but I have never had this before). One thing that was interesting, and may
or may not be abnormal- the chain, when viewed from above, looked like it
was slanting towards the big ring- the top of the chain appeared to be
closer to the big ring than the bottom of the chain.

I am going to try replacing the chain, but wanted to know if anyone else had
had similar issues.

Thanks for any help!

I'll post the results of the chain swap.

Randy Hermann
rdothermannatsbcglobaldotnet

Quoth Randy:

> 1) Delay in shifting down from big ring to small ring, under any load
> 2) Chain hangs between large and small ring- the rings are literally
> spinning without moving the chain as the teeth have not engaged the

chain
> 3) Chain suck! I managed to get it to do it at slow speed and was

amazed to
> watch the chain snag one of the small pins on the inner face of the

large
> ring, then get carried up to the derailleur. Not good!
> 4)Surge shifting- it feels like the system slips a bit and then takes

up
> the slack. Possibly related to #2?

Randy:

Sounds like you have cable stretch in your fder cable. The indexed
front shifting on Shimano stuff is pretty sensitive and a little bit of
cable stretch can go a long way to mucking things up.

Might be your problem, might not.

Good luck!

App

Well, after reinspecting the derailleur, I noticed that the mounting bolt
was loose (Nope- I didn't build this one!) and the derailleur was a little
bit out of alignment. After correcting that, most of the shifting problems
went away though I still have the chain suck issue.

-Randy

news:[email protected]...