Truvative PowerSpline needs replacing

libarata

Sep 15, 2011
So, after purchasing my Secialized HardRock in 2006 and putting a few thousand miles on it, the Bottom Bracket needs replacing... A few of the local shops said the PowerSpline is a bit outdated, and I am having trouble finding a replacement for it. Is there anything that I can easily replace it with, or should I just go ahead and purchase a replacement when I can find one? THANKS!

Type is a 68ex113mm Truvative PowerSpline.

You should probably try to find a replacement BB on eBay ...

FWIW. It may seem dodgy, but I have found that it is possible to rejuvenate several cartridge Octalink BBs (which had become crunchy) by seeping ([COLOR= #808080]for want of a better word[/COLOR]) some oil into the bearings ...

Seep either-or-both some WD-40 and/or 3-in-1-type oil by spraying-or-dripping onto the spindle (when it is near vertical) ...

Wait ...

Spin ...

Repeat, as necessary.

If you are really industrious ([COLOR= #808080]something I've thought about doing but never bothered/needed to do, yet[/COLOR]), drill a SMALL hole in the BB's casing to facilitate flushing and./or re-greasing the bearings. The hole should be small enough so that you can install a plug-or-screw OR put a small dab of GOOP in the hole to seal the hole.

If you are really motivated-OR-desperate, you can tap out the bearings & replace them!