Try Amazon.com for ELECTRIC KETTLES

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nancree, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    Tags:

  2. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

  3. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:35:33 -0500, Levelwave©
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nancree wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=kitchen&field-br owse=284507&search-type=ss&field-
    >> keywords=electric%20kettles&/qid=10769803
    >> 27/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4_etk-kitchen_all/103-5637639-3809402
    >
    >www.tinyurl.com
    >
    >~john

    An excellent suggestion. But, I have a quesiton for you. Why has your name been coming out as
    "Levelwave© <[email protected]>" lately? what's with the nonsense characters?

    BTW, Nancree- I just bought the T-Fal electric kettle from Amazon two weeks ago and it is excellent.

  4. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Curly Sue wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:35:33 -0500, Levelwave© <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Nancree wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=kitchen&field-br owse=284507&search-type=ss&field-
    >>>keywords=electric%20kettles&/qid=10769803
    >>>27/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4_etk-kitchen_all/103-5637639-3809402
    >>
    >>www.tinyurl.com
    >>
    >>~john
    >

    > An excellent suggestion. But, I have a quesiton for you. Why has your name been coming out as
    > "Levelwave© <[email protected]>" lately? what's with the nonsense characters?
    >
    > BTW, Nancree- I just bought the T-Fal electric kettle from Amazon two weeks ago and it is
    > excellent.
    >
    > Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    Thanks folks. I'm looking for a kettle that uses almost as much power as an electric clothes dryer
    and will boil a liter of water in a few seconds. The one from the "tabletools" amazon affiliate
    store that someone posted earlier is supposed to be a 3000W kettle, and I emailed the store for more
    details (like what plug it uses) before I purchase one.

    Best regards, Bob

  5. zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Curly Sue wrote:

    >>>www.tinyurl.com
    >>>
    >>>~john
    >>

    >> An excellent suggestion. But, I have a quesiton for you. Why has your name been coming out as
    >> "Levelwave© <[email protected]>" lately? what's with the nonsense characters?
    >>
    >> BTW, Nancree- I just bought the T-Fal electric kettle from Amazon two weeks ago and it is
    >> excellent.
    >>
    >> Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
    >

    > Thanks folks. I'm looking for a kettle that uses almost as much power as an electric clothes dryer
    > and will boil a liter of water in a few seconds. The one from the "tabletools" amazon affiliate
    > store that someone posted earlier is supposed to be a 3000W kettle, and I emailed the store for
    > more details (like what plug it uses) before I purchase one.
    >
    > Best regards, Bob

    Hope you find what you're looking for, Bob. I'm curious, though, about such an urgent need for hot
    water. I usually find an ordinary kettle fast enough, or the microwave for a cup or so.

    Wayne

  6. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    Curly Sue wrote:

    > An excellent suggestion. But, I have a quesiton for you. Why has your name been coming out as
    > "Levelwave© <[email protected]>" lately? what's with the nonsense characters?

    Hmmm... I'm not seeing it on my end... My news provider News.CIS.DFN.DE just changed to
    News.INDIVIDUAL.NET so there may be something screwy going on with that... Does this
    message look OK?

    thanks

    ~john

    --
    Say hello to the rug's topography...It holds quite a lot of interest with your face down on it...

  7. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >

    >>Curly Sue wrote:

    >>>An excellent suggestion. But, I have a quesiton for you. Why has your name been coming out as
    >>>"Levelwave© <[email protected]>" lately? what's with the nonsense characters?
    >>>
    >>>BTW, Nancree- I just bought the T-Fal electric kettle from Amazon two weeks ago and it is
    >>>excellent.
    >>>
    >>>Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
    >>

    >>Thanks folks. I'm looking for a kettle that uses almost as much power as an electric clothes dryer
    >>and will boil a liter of water in a few seconds. The one from the "tabletools" amazon affiliate
    >>store that someone posted earlier is supposed to be a 3000W kettle, and I emailed the store for
    >>more details (like what plug it uses) before I purchase one.
    >>
    >>Best regards, Bob
    >>

    > Hope you find what you're looking for, Bob. I'm curious, though, about such an urgent need for hot
    > water. I usually find an ordinary kettle fast enough, or the microwave for a cup or so.
    >
    > Wayne

    Need has very little to do with it :) My wife drinks a lot of tea in the winter, and I do too when
    I'm sick. Being able to boil the water quickly is a good thing. I like to make coffee in a french
    press sometimes, and it takes a long time to boil a liter of water on the stove. Plus just the
    novelty of having a 220V outlet in the kitchen for a 60-slice toaster or a big fryer or boiler (or a
    small welder.)

    I think the novelty factor is the main thing.

    Best regards, Bob

  8. zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >
    >> zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    >>>Thanks folks. I'm looking for a kettle that uses almost as much power as an electric clothes
    >>>dryer and will boil a liter of water in a few seconds. The one from the "tabletools" amazon
    >>>affiliate store that someone posted earlier is supposed to be a 3000W kettle, and I emailed the
    >>>store for more details (like what plug it uses) before I purchase one.
    >>>
    >>>Best regards, Bob
    >>>

    >> Hope you find what you're looking for, Bob. I'm curious, though, about such an urgent need for
    >> hot water. I usually find an ordinary kettle fast enough, or the microwave for a cup or so.
    >>
    >> Wayne
    >

    > Need has very little to do with it :) My wife drinks a lot of tea in the winter, and I do too
    > when I'm sick. Being able to boil the water quickly is a good thing. I like to make coffee in a
    > french press sometimes, and it takes a long time to boil a liter of water on the stove. Plus just
    > the novelty of having a 220V outlet in the kitchen for a 60-slice toaster or a big fryer or boiler
    > (or a small welder.)
    >
    > I think the novelty factor is the main thing.
    >
    > Best regards, Bob

    All good points. Just wondered. Powering a big fryer or a high-quality induction unit would
    appeal to me.

    Wayne

  9. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Levelwave(c) wrote:

    > Curly Sue wrote:
    >
    >> An excellent suggestion. But, I have a quesiton for you. Why has your name been coming out as
    >> "Levelwave© <[email protected]>" lately? what's with the nonsense characters?
    >

    > Hmmm... I'm not seeing it on my end... My news provider News.CIS.DFN.DE just changed to
    > News.INDIVIDUAL.NET so there may be something screwy going on with that... Does this message
    > look OK?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > ~john

    I bet her news reader is doing something screwy because of the copyright symbol:

    Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:35:33 -0500 Lines: 9 Message-ID: <[email protected]
    berlin.de> References: <[email protected]> NNTP-Posting-Host:
    pcp03042906pcs.andrsn01.tn.comcast.net (68.59.186.148) Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Trace: news.uni-berlin.de
    1076988922 44293553 I 68.59.186.148 ([199095]) User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1;
    en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113 X-Accept-Language: en-us, en In-Reply-To: <[email protected]
    m01.aol.com> Xref: uni-berlin.de rec.food.cooking:1184129

    My newsreader renders it just fine. (Let's see what happens when I select Simplified Chinese)

    Best regards, Bob

  10. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:33:07 -0500, Levelwave©
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Curly Sue wrote:
    >
    >> An excellent suggestion. But, I have a quesiton for you. Why has your name been coming out as
    >> "Levelwave© <[email protected]>" lately? what's with the nonsense characters?
    >

    >Hmmm... I'm not seeing it on my end... My news provider News.CIS.DFN.DE just changed to
    >News.INDIVIDUAL.NET so there may be something screwy going on with that... Does this
    >message look OK?
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >~john

    Still the same. The only thing that's screwy is your name listing in the listing of articles and the
    message headers.

    I have an old newsreader (Free Agent) and Bob mentioned something about a copyright symbol. Perhaps
    that's what the "Levelwave©" is about- my newsreader might not do special symbols like that. Your
    name has been showing up like that for a while now; did you add the symbol within the past couple
    of months?

  11. Curly Sue

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Curly Sue wrote:
    >
    >> An excellent suggestion. But, I have a quesiton for you. Why has your name been coming out as
    >> "Levelwave© <[email protected]>" lately? what's with the nonsense characters?
    >

    >Hmmm... I'm not seeing it on my end... My news provider News.CIS.DFN.DE just changed to
    >News.INDIVIDUAL.NET so there may be something screwy going on with that... Does this
    >message look OK?
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >~john

    OK, I went to Google, via my browser, and saw that you have a copyright symbol after "Levelwave" and
    that you started using it in January or so, which is when I noticed the garbage characters. So my
    reader is just too old to translate (c) character.

    That explains it!

  12. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:20:53 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Need has very little to do with it :) My wife drinks a lot of tea in the winter, and I do too when
    >I'm sick. Being able to boil the water quickly is a good thing. I like to make coffee in a french
    >press sometimes, and it takes a long time to boil a liter of water on the stove. Plus just the
    >novelty of having a 220V outlet in the kitchen for a 60-slice toaster or a big fryer or boiler (or
    >a small welder.)
    >
    >I think the novelty factor is the main thing.
    >
    >Best regards, Bob

    Why not install one of those gizmos that is connected with the sink and offers hot water instantly?

    Boron

  13. Boron Elgar <boron_elgarspamol[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:20:53 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Need has very little to do with it :) My wife drinks a lot of tea in the winter, and I do too
    >>when I'm sick. Being able to boil the water quickly is a good thing. I like to make coffee in a
    >>french press sometimes, and it takes a long time to boil a liter of water on the stove. Plus just
    >>the novelty of having a 220V outlet in the kitchen for a 60-slice toaster or a big fryer or boiler
    >>(or a small welder.)
    >>
    >>I think the novelty factor is the main thing.
    >>
    >>Best regards, Bob
    >
    > Why not install one of those gizmos that is connected with the sink and offers hot water
    > instantly?
    >
    > Boron

    My guess is it's neither hot enough nor fresh enough for a serious tea drinker. The best tea brews
    with freshly drawn cold water quickly brought to a fast boil, then quickly poured over the tea
    leaves. The instant hot units are rather like a household hot water tank. The hot water sits in the
    tank until needed and is held at an under boiling point temperature. Not only is low temperature a
    factor, but the water in no longer well-oxygenated.

    Having said that, I have an Insta-Hot and I love it. However, I don't brew tea. I use it for
    softening gelatin, adding to frozen vegetables for a quicker start in cooking, etc.

    Wayne

  14. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:40:46 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:20:53 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Need has very little to do with it :) My wife drinks a lot of tea in the winter, and I do too
    >>>when I'm sick. Being able to boil the water quickly is a good thing. I like to make coffee in a
    >>>french press sometimes, and it takes a long time to boil a liter of water on the stove. Plus just
    >>>the novelty of having a 220V outlet in the kitchen for a 60-slice toaster or a big fryer or
    >>>boiler (or a small welder.)
    >>>
    >>>I think the novelty factor is the main thing.
    >>>
    >>>Best regards, Bob
    >>
    >> Why not install one of those gizmos that is connected with the sink and offers hot water
    >> instantly?
    >>
    >> Boron
    >>

    >My guess is it's neither hot enough nor fresh enough for a serious tea drinker. The best tea brews
    >with freshly drawn cold water quickly brought to a fast boil, then quickly poured over the tea
    >leaves. The instant hot units are rather like a household hot water tank. The hot water sits in the
    >tank until needed and is held at an under boiling point temperature. Not only is low temperature a
    >factor, but the water in no longer well-oxygenated.
    >
    >Having said that, I have an Insta-Hot and I love it. However, I don't brew tea. I use it for
    >softening gelatin, adding to frozen vegetables for a quicker start in cooking, etc.
    >
    >Wayne

    I confess that I am not much of a tea drinker. Red Rose tea bag in a microwaved cup of hot water is
    all I ever need if I have the sniffles.

    I do use an electric kettle for coffee, though.

    boron

  15. Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:40:46 GMT, Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>news:[email protected]:

    >>> Why not install one of those gizmos that is connected with the sink and offers hot water
    >>> instantly?
    >>>
    >>> Boron
    >>>

    >>My guess is it's neither hot enough nor fresh enough for a serious tea drinker. The best tea brews
    >>with freshly drawn cold water quickly brought to a fast boil, then quickly poured over the tea
    >>leaves. The instant hot units are rather like a household hot water tank. The hot water sits in
    >>the tank until needed and is held at an under boiling point temperature. Not only is low
    >>temperature a factor, but the water in no longer well-oxygenated.
    >>
    >>Having said that, I have an Insta-Hot and I love it. However, I don't brew tea. I use it for
    >>softening gelatin, adding to frozen vegetables for a quicker start in cooking, etc.
    >>
    >>Wayne
    >
    > I confess that I am not much of a tea drinker. Red Rose tea bag in a microwaved cup of hot water
    > is all I ever need if I have the sniffles.
    >
    > I do use an electric kettle for coffee, though.
    >
    > boron

    Not being a serious tea drinker, on the rare occasion I make a cup of tea, I use the Insta-Hot and
    put a teabag in a cup, basically the same thing as you do. I think the reason there are so many more
    electric kettles in use in the UK is the British affinity for good tea. They'll use a
    "sachet"/teabag in a pinch, but most use loose tea in a teapot with freshly boiled water.

    Cheers, Wayne

  16. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    >>On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:40:46 GMT, Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>>news:[email protected]:

    >>>My guess is it's neither hot enough nor fresh enough for a serious tea drinker. The best tea
    >>>brews with freshly drawn cold water quickly brought to a fast boil, then quickly poured over the
    >>>tea leaves. The instant hot units are rather like a household hot water tank. The hot water sits
    >>>in the tank until needed and is held at an under boiling point temperature. Not only is low
    >>>temperature a factor, but the water in no longer well-oxygenated.
    >>>
    >>>Having said that, I have an Insta-Hot and I love it. However, I don't brew tea. I use it for
    >>>softening gelatin, adding to frozen vegetables for a quicker start in cooking, etc.
    >>>
    >>>Wayne
    >>
    >>I confess that I am not much of a tea drinker. Red Rose tea bag in a microwaved cup of hot water
    >>is all I ever need if I have the sniffles.
    >>
    >>I do use an electric kettle for coffee, though.
    >>
    >>boron
    >>

    > Not being a serious tea drinker, on the rare occasion I make a cup of tea, I use the Insta-Hot and
    > put a teabag in a cup, basically the same thing as you do. I think the reason there are so many
    > more electric kettles in use in the UK is the British affinity for good tea. They'll use a
    > "sachet"/teabag in a pinch, but most use loose tea in a teapot with freshly boiled water.
    >
    > Cheers, Wayne

    I had one of those instant hot water things in a house 15 years ago and really liked it. But my
    kitchen now has a *deep* cast iron sink without enough holes to add any gadgets, and no electricity
    under the sink. Also, I think the hot water tank only held about 2 cups.

    If I've got to run more wires, I'd rather run them to the countertop. Probably a split 110/220V
    duplex outlet on a dedicated 15A circuit. 14/3 cable is pretty easy to work with. Since it's more
    than 6 feet from the sink, I'd probably fudge on the GFCI that the new electric code requires for
    the 110V half -- it wouldn't have been required a few years ago. If someone squawks about it later,
    I can replace the split voltage outlet with a 220V-only outlet and no GFCI is required.

    Best regards, Bob

  17. zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I had one of those instant hot water things in a house 15 years ago and really liked it. But my
    > kitchen now has a *deep* cast iron sink without enough holes to add any gadgets, and no
    > electricity under the sink. Also, I think the hot water tank only held about 2 cups.

    Mine holds a quart, but perhaps the older ones did not. Even a quart is not all that much hot water
    since the recovery time is not terribly fast.

    > If I've got to run more wires, I'd rather run them to the countertop. Probably a split 110/220V
    > duplex outlet on a dedicated 15A circuit.
    > 14/3 cable is pretty easy to work with. Since it's more than 6 feet from the sink, I'd probably
    > fudge on the GFCI that the new electric code requires for the 110V half -- it wouldn't have
    > been required a few years ago. If someone squawks about it later, I can replace the split
    > voltage outlet with a 220V-only outlet and no GFCI is required.
    >
    > Best regards, Bob

    Sounds like a plan! The more I think about it, the idea of having a 220V outlet in the kitchen is
    really appealing. There are UK appliances that I like and would be able to use if I had one.

    Wayne