Try looking both ways!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by badger, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. badger

    badger Guest

    Hi all,

    Today I was grateful to be in my tall 4x4, not a car, heading out of
    town in the outer lane I spotted a cyclist, riding the wrong way down a
    one way street onto the road, she was more interested in the traffic
    comming from the left, hoping to slot into the flow, so seeing as the
    inside lane was stopped she didn't bother to look right. I slowed in
    full expectation she'd completely missed my large 4x4 approaching on her
    right, even though it would have been clearly visible over the cars. And
    yes she rode straight out in front of me, turned as she did so and only
    then did it register....

    Tags:

  2. Budstaff

    Budstaff Guest

    "Budstaff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "badger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Today I was grateful to be in my tall 4x4, not a car, heading out of town
    >> in the outer lane I spotted a cyclist, riding the wrong way down a one
    >> way street onto the road, she was more interested in the traffic comming
    >> from the left, hoping to slot into the flow, so seeing as the inside lane
    >> was stopped she didn't bother to look right. I slowed in full expectation
    >> she'd completely missed my large 4x4 approaching on her right, even
    >> though it would have been clearly visible over the cars. And yes she rode
    >> straight out in front of me, turned as she did so and only then did it
    >> register....
    >>

    > What a coincidence! On the very same day I had a man in a white van almost
    > flatten me as he joined the road without looking.
    >
    > Two instances of road users failing to pay attention and flouting the
    > highway code on the same day! What is the world coming to?

    And two instances of almost the very same post! I blame Bill Gates.... ;-)

  3. Budstaff

    Budstaff Guest

    "badger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Today I was grateful to be in my tall 4x4, not a car, heading out of town
    > in the outer lane I spotted a cyclist, riding the wrong way down a one way
    > street onto the road, she was more interested in the traffic comming from
    > the left, hoping to slot into the flow, so seeing as the inside lane was
    > stopped she didn't bother to look right. I slowed in full expectation
    > she'd completely missed my large 4x4 approaching on her right, even though
    > it would have been clearly visible over the cars. And yes she rode
    > straight out in front of me, turned as she did so and only then did it
    > register....

    What a coincidence! On the very same day I was almost flattened by a white
    van joining the road without looking.

    Two instances of road users not paying attention and flouting the Highway
    Code! What is the world coming to?

  4. Budstaff

    Budstaff Guest

    "badger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Today I was grateful to be in my tall 4x4, not a car, heading out of town
    > in the outer lane I spotted a cyclist, riding the wrong way down a one way
    > street onto the road, she was more interested in the traffic comming from
    > the left, hoping to slot into the flow, so seeing as the inside lane was
    > stopped she didn't bother to look right. I slowed in full expectation
    > she'd completely missed my large 4x4 approaching on her right, even though
    > it would have been clearly visible over the cars. And yes she rode
    > straight out in front of me, turned as she did so and only then did it
    > register....

    What a coincidence! On the very same day I had a man in a white van almost
    flatten me as he joined the road without looking.

    Two instances of road users failing to pay attention and flouting the
    highway code on the same day! What is the world coming to?

  5. Ningi

    Ningi Guest

    Budstaff wrote:
    > "Budstaff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>"badger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>Today I was grateful to be in my tall 4x4, not a car, heading out of town
    >>>in the outer lane I spotted a cyclist, riding the wrong way down a one
    >>>way street onto the road, she was more interested in the traffic comming
    >>>from the left, hoping to slot into the flow, so seeing as the inside lane
    >>>was stopped she didn't bother to look right. I slowed in full expectation
    >>>she'd completely missed my large 4x4 approaching on her right, even
    >>>though it would have been clearly visible over the cars. And yes she rode
    >>>straight out in front of me, turned as she did so and only then did it
    >>>register....
    >>>

    >>What a coincidence! On the very same day I had a man in a white van almost
    >>flatten me as he joined the road without looking.
    >>
    >>Two instances of road users failing to pay attention and flouting the
    >>highway code on the same day! What is the world coming to?
    >>

    > And two instances of almost the very same post! I blame Bill Gates.... ;-)

    I've been having problems with large numbers of double posts on most of
    the groups I susbscribe to for a couple of weeks now. It used to be
    very rare. Has anybody else noticed a recent increase?

    Pete

  6. > I've been having problems with large numbers of double posts on most
    > of the groups I susbscribe to for a couple of weeks now. It used to
    > be very rare. Has anybody else noticed a recent increase?

    No.

  7. > I've been having problems with large numbers of double posts on most
    > of the groups I susbscribe to for a couple of weeks now. It used to
    > be very rare. Has anybody else noticed a recent increase?

    No. <dies>

  8. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar, Ningi <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've been having problems with large numbers of double posts on most of
    > the groups I susbscribe to for a couple of weeks now. It used to be
    > very rare. Has anybody else noticed a recent increase?

    Google groups.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  9. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Ningi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]

    > I've been having problems with large numbers of double posts on most of
    > the groups I susbscribe to for a couple of weeks now. It used to be very
    > rare. Has anybody else noticed a recent increase?
    >
    > Pete

    Indeed.

    Cheers, helen s