Trying for a conversion

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jomo, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. Jomo

    Jomo Guest

    Hi - new to the group so please be gentle! Can anyone suggest any
    routes that are as close as possible to (East) London? I've already
    converted the other half to the joys of spending entire weekends
    getting cold and muddy on a Cumbrian hill but on weekends when we don't
    get away I'm struggling to find short routes - the sunday walk as it
    were - that don't first involve a three hour trip just to get out of
    the city. We've tried some routes around North and South Downs, Essex
    Marshes, even Epping Forest but any thoughts would be gratefully
    received!

    Tags:

  2. Closer than S Downs would be the 100 or so miles of The Greendsand Way which
    broadly runs from Haslemere (trains) to Asford (and a bit further) via
    Dorking, (near) Sevenoaks, (south of) Maidstone.

    It is very varied and I can only speak of the Eastern end between Haslemere
    and Dorking which is a very nice mix of wooded ridges and valleys.

    I know it's not on your back door but it should be reasonably accessible. i
    don't know let me know.
    If you want more details contact.
    There is a nice guide book
    Regards
    Zinc
    --
    [email protected]
    To reply to address don't click.

    ------------------------------------

    "Jomo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi - new to the group so please be gentle! Can anyone suggest any
    > routes that are as close as possible to (East) London? I've already
    > converted the other half to the joys of spending entire weekends
    > getting cold and muddy on a Cumbrian hill but on weekends when we don't
    > get away I'm struggling to find short routes - the sunday walk as it
    > were - that don't first involve a three hour trip just to get out of
    > the city. We've tried some routes around North and South Downs, Essex
    > Marshes, even Epping Forest but any thoughts would be gratefully
    > received!

  3. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    "Jomo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi - new to the group so please be gentle! Can anyone suggest any
    > routes that are as close as possible to (East) London? I've already
    > converted the other half to the joys of spending entire weekends
    > getting cold and muddy on a Cumbrian hill but on weekends when we don't
    > get away I'm struggling to find short routes - the sunday walk as it
    > were - that don't first involve a three hour trip just to get out of
    > the city. We've tried some routes around North and South Downs, Essex
    > Marshes, even Epping Forest but any thoughts would be gratefully
    > received!

    How about the Essex Way from Epping tube station up to Ongar and then
    getting a bus back if needed? AFAIK buses do run that way on Sundays. You
    can do a circular route too, even taking a train from Ongar to North Weald.

    How do *you* define 'a short walk'?

    Nick

  4. Bitstring <[email protected]>, from
    the wonderful person Jomo <[email protected]> said
    >Hi - new to the group so please be gentle! Can anyone suggest any
    >routes that are as close as possible to (East) London? I've already
    >converted the other half to the joys of spending entire weekends
    >getting cold and muddy on a Cumbrian hill but on weekends when we don't
    >get away I'm struggling to find short routes - the sunday walk as it
    >were - that don't first involve a three hour trip just to get out of
    >the city. We've tried some routes around North and South Downs, Essex
    >Marshes, even Epping Forest but any thoughts would be gratefully
    >received!

    When I were a lad, there used to be some nice walking up along the River
    Lea (as seen on the East Enders intro!) .. no idea if the towpaths are
    still in order, but it used to be possible to get from East London all
    the way out to Ware and Hertford.

    It obviously lacks in the 'hilly' department, but it made a pleasant
    enough outing, and you don't have to contend with any traffic (except
    the odd barge maybe).

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can

  5. Closer than S Downs would be the 100 or so miles of The Greendsand Way which
    broadly runs from Haslemere (trains) to Asford (and a bit further) via
    Dorking, (near) Sevenoaks, (south of) Maidstone.

    It is very varied and I can only speak of the Eastern end between Haslemere
    and Dorking which is a very nice mix of wooded ridges and valleys.

    I know it's not on your back door but it should be reasonably accessible. i
    don't know let me know.
    If you want more details contact.
    There is a nice guide book

    --
    [email protected]
    To reply to address don't click.
    Cut and paste, then delete
    all digits

    ------------------------------------

    "Jomo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi - new to the group so please be gentle! Can anyone suggest any
    > routes that are as close as possible to (East) London? I've already
    > converted the other half to the joys of spending entire weekends
    > getting cold and muddy on a Cumbrian hill but on weekends when we don't
    > get away I'm struggling to find short routes - the sunday walk as it
    > were - that don't first involve a three hour trip just to get out of
    > the city. We've tried some routes around North and South Downs, Essex
    > Marshes, even Epping Forest but any thoughts would be gratefully
    > received!

  6. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    "GSV Three Minds in a Can" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bitstring <[email protected]>, from
    > the wonderful person Jomo <[email protected]> said
    > >Hi - new to the group so please be gentle! Can anyone suggest any
    > >routes that are as close as possible to (East) London? I've already
    > >converted the other half to the joys of spending entire weekends
    > >getting cold and muddy on a Cumbrian hill but on weekends when we don't
    > >get away I'm struggling to find short routes - the sunday walk as it
    > >were - that don't first involve a three hour trip just to get out of
    > >the city. We've tried some routes around North and South Downs, Essex
    > >Marshes, even Epping Forest but any thoughts would be gratefully
    > >received!

    > When I were a lad, there used to be some nice walking up along the River
    > Lea (as seen on the East Enders intro!) .. no idea if the towpaths are
    > still in order, but it used to be possible to get from East London all
    > the way out to Ware and Hertford.

    This is now the Lea Valley Walk which takes you from Bow Creek lighthouse on
    the Thames all the way to Luton. The part around Broxbourne/Hoddesdon is
    good for a Sunday stroll with ice cream vans and local pubs for lunch, plus
    plenty of birdwatching opportunities.
    http://www.leevalley-online.co.uk/leisure/walks/leavalleywalk.htm

    Nick

  7. I've tried to reply 3 times to this.
    Closer than S Downs would be the 100 or so miles of The Greendsand Way which
    broadly runs from Haslemere (trains) to Asford (and a bit further) via
    Dorking, (near) Sevenoaks, (south of) Maidstone.

    It is very varied and I can only speak of the Eastern end between Haslemere
    and Dorking which is a very nice mix of wooded ridges and valleys.

    I know it's not on your back door but it should be reasonably accessible. i
    don't know let me know.
    If you want more details contact.
    There is a nice guide book
    Zinc

    --
    [email protected]
    To reply to address don't click.
    Cut and paste, then delete
    all digits

    ------------------------------------

    "Jomo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi - new to the group so please be gentle! Can anyone suggest any
    > routes that are as close as possible to (East) London? I've already
    > converted the other half to the joys of spending entire weekends
    > getting cold and muddy on a Cumbrian hill but on weekends when we don't
    > get away I'm struggling to find short routes - the sunday walk as it
    > were - that don't first involve a three hour trip just to get out of
    > the city. We've tried some routes around North and South Downs, Essex
    > Marshes, even Epping Forest but any thoughts would be gratefully
    > received!

  8. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:02:45 +0000 (UTC), "Zinc Potterman"
    <[email protected] (delete digits to reply)> wrote:

    >I've tried to reply 3 times to this

    Successfully, in each case.