Trying out my dehydrator

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mr Libido Incognito, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself for
    xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a package of
    discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced them in the food
    processor and arranged them on the racks around 10 this morning...I'll see
    what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this evening.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

    Tags:

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    > So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself for
    > xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a package of
    > discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced them in the food
    > processor and arranged them on the racks around 10 this morning...I'll see
    > what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this evening.

    Um, a dehydrater is not for salvaging garbage.... you should be drying
    the very best produce you can find... see what I mean about folks
    making stock from garbage, now they'd dehying garbage too. Have yoose
    no shame.

  3. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself
    > for
    > xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a
    > package of
    > discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced them in the food
    > processor and arranged them on the racks around 10 this morning...I'll
    > see
    > what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this evening.

    Going by the way my dehydrator works they will turn into wee
    squiggles:)) I dry my mushrooms whole and they get small enough:)) I
    would never use stuff that is a 'off' though. What goes in comes out
    as they say!

  4. Sheldon wrote on 04 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    > > So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself
    > > for xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a
    > > package of discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced
    > > them in the food processor and arranged them on the racks around 10
    > > this morning...I'll see what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this
    > > evening.

    > Um, a dehydrater is not for salvaging garbage.... you should be drying
    > the very best produce you can find... see what I mean about folks
    > making stock from garbage, now they'd dehying garbage too. Have yoose
    > no shame.

    No none....I am testing the dehydrator and wish to do so at reasonable
    cost. When I get more comfortable with it I will use better produce.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  5. Syssi

    Syssi Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself for
    > xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a package
    > of
    > discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced them in the food
    > processor and arranged them on the racks around 10 this morning...I'll see
    > what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this evening.
    >
    > -- =============

    Cool! I now have three(!). I've done quite a few things in mine but the
    repeat favorites tend to be: apples, pears, and jerky.

    Oh, canned pineapple comes out nicely. Banana chips are okay but nothing to
    write home about. Mushrooms turn out great. Strawberries were okay...but I
    need to try them again when I get some that are really sweet - the last
    batch weren't very sweet hence... well... you know. I can't remember if I
    tried tomatoes or not but will try that the next time I have an overflowing
    supply of them.

    --
    Syssi

  6. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote on 04 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    >

    > > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    > > > So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself
    > > > for xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a
    > > > package of discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced
    > > > them in the food processor and arranged them on the racks around 10
    > > > this morning...I'll see what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this
    > > > evening.

    > > Um, a dehydrater is not for salvaging garbage.... you should be drying
    > > the very best produce you can find... see what I mean about folks
    > > making stock from garbage, now they'd dehying garbage too. Have yoose
    > > no shame.
    > >

    > No none....I am testing the dehydrator and wish to do so at reasonable
    > cost. When I get more comfortable with it I will use better produce.

    How will you judge by preparing garbage, you can't. Again, it's the
    same as preparing stock from garbage, then one can't possibly compare
    with stock from quality ingredients. Fact is once you begin with
    dehydrating garbage mushrooms each and everything else you try will be
    garbage too, with the same lame garbage excuse... you'll always be
    practicing... you will have acquired a taste for garbage, you'll have
    no reason to ever try to improve, especially if it costs a few pennies
    more. You are obviously afflicted with a serious case of CCBD (Chronic
    Cheap Bastard Disease), you're just attempting to justify... you're not
    at all convincing. Imagine, you actually posted about using garbage
    mushrooms as though you are proud of the fact, that folks would think
    you invented a good thing, NOT! You'd have done better had you never
    mentioned your garbage
    'shrooms (we didn't need to know you eat shit), it only
    underscores/amplifies the reality of your CCBD. And there is no hope
    for you, child molestation is far easier to cure than CCBD.

  7. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself for
    > xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a package
    > of
    > discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced them in the food
    > processor and arranged them on the racks around 10 this morning...I'll see
    > what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this evening.

    My neighbor across the street has cherries, so I dry a lot of cherries in
    May and June then keep them in the freezer for the year. They are wonderful
    baked in things and just eaten plain. I make fruit leather for the kids and
    I've even made yogurt in my dehydrator, which turned out really nice.

    Lynne

  8. Sheldon wrote on 04 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    > > Sheldon wrote on 04 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > > > Um, a dehydrater is not for salvaging garbage.... you should be
    > > > drying the very best produce you can find... see what I mean about
    > > > folks making stock from garbage, now they'd dehying garbage too.
    > > > Have yoose no shame.
    > > >

    > > No none....I am testing the dehydrator and wish to do so at
    > > reasonable cost. When I get more comfortable with it I will use
    > > better produce.

    > How will you judge by preparing garbage, you can't. Again, it's the
    > same as preparing stock from garbage, then one can't possibly compare
    > with stock from quality ingredients. Fact is once you begin with
    > dehydrating garbage mushrooms each and everything else you try will be
    > garbage too, with the same lame garbage excuse... you'll always be
    > practicing... you will have acquired a taste for garbage, you'll have
    > no reason to ever try to improve, especially if it costs a few pennies
    > more. You are obviously afflicted with a serious case of CCBD
    > (Chronic Cheap Bastard Disease), you're just attempting to justify...
    > you're not at all convincing. Imagine, you actually posted about
    > using garbage mushrooms as though you are proud of the fact, that
    > folks would think you invented a good thing, NOT! You'd have done
    > better had you never mentioned your garbage
    > 'shrooms (we didn't need to know you eat shit), it only
    > underscores/amplifies the reality of your CCBD. And there is no hope
    > for you, child molestation is far easier to cure than CCBD.

    thanks for your opinion sheldon...I'll ignore it as usual.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  9. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote on 04 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    >

    >>Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    >>
    >>>So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself
    >>>for xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a
    >>>package of discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced
    >>>them in the food processor and arranged them on the racks around 10
    >>>this morning...I'll see what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this
    >>>evening.

    >>Um, a dehydrater is not for salvaging garbage.... you should be drying
    >>the very best produce you can find... see what I mean about folks
    >>making stock from garbage, now they'd dehying garbage too. Have yoose
    >>no shame.
    >>

    > No none....I am testing the dehydrator and wish to do so at reasonable
    > cost. When I get more comfortable with it I will use better produce.

    Buy a one or two pound bag of frozen mixed vegetables and try
    dehydrating that. No need to thaw them first. You can use the dried
    vegs for munchies or add to soup. They look pretty in a clear jar on
    the kitchen counter.

    Best regards,
    Bob

  10. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    > > Sheldon wrote:

    > >>Um, a dehydrater is not for salvaging garbage.... you should be drying
    > >>the very best produce you can find... see what I mean about folks
    > >>making stock from garbage, now they'd dehying garbage too. Have yoose
    > >>no shame.

    > > No none....I am testing the dehydrator and wish to do so at reasonable
    > > cost. When I get more comfortable with it I will use better produce.

    > Buy a one or two pound bag of frozen mixed vegetables and try
    > dehydrating that. No need to thaw them first. You can use the dried
    > vegs for munchies or add to soup. They look pretty in a clear jar on
    > the kitchen counter.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Bob

    He'll never spring for the money, unless they have *used*.

    However, I don't see the logic in preserving by dehydration that which
    is already preserved by freezing... just doesn't equate. If you want
    to fill jars with color for pretty/esthetics just fill them with foods
    that are already dehydrated, like dried beans... especially jelly beans
    lol. I have two 1qt Hellman's mayo jars on my desk filled with Jelly
    Bellies, looks nice and is edible as is... each 1qt jar jolds a full
    2lbs.. I consider a capful a serving.

    I also would expect dehydrated frozen veggies would when rehydrated
    result in mush... pretty much the same as rehydrated dehydrated used
    veggies.... exactly the same as eating shit, *twice*.

  11. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

    > So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself for
    > xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a package of
    > discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced them in the food
    > processor and arranged them on the racks around 10 this morning...I'll see
    > what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this evening.

    How did it work?

    Best regards,
    Bob

  12. zxcvbob wrote on 08 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
    >
    > > So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself
    > > for xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a
    > > package of discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced
    > > them in the food processor and arranged them on the racks around 10
    > > this morning...I'll see what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this
    > > evening.
    > >

    > How did it work?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Bob

    Turned out fairly good from 10am to around 8Pm to dry the mushrooms. It
    didn't get as hot as I figured it would. And now I has a pickle jar full
    of dried sliced shrooms.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.