Trying out my dehydrator

Mr Libido Incognito

Guest
So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself for
xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a package of
discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced them in the food
processor and arranged them on the racks around 10 this morning...I'll see
what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this evening.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself for
> xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a package of
> discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced them in the food
> processor and arranged them on the racks around 10 this morning...I'll see
> what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this evening.

Um, a dehydrater is not for salvaging garbage.... you should be drying
the very best produce you can find... see what I mean about folks
making stock from garbage, now they'd dehying garbage too. Have yoose
no shame.

"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself
> for
> xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a
> package of
> discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced them in the food
> processor and arranged them on the racks around 10 this morning...I'll
> see
> what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this evening.

Going by the way my dehydrator works they will turn into wee
squiggles:)) I dry my mushrooms whole and they get small enough:)) I
would never use stuff that is a 'off' though. What goes in comes out
as they say!

Sheldon wrote on 04 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself
> > for xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a
> > package of discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced
> > them in the food processor and arranged them on the racks around 10
> > this morning...I'll see what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this
> > evening.

> Um, a dehydrater is not for salvaging garbage.... you should be drying
> the very best produce you can find... see what I mean about folks
> making stock from garbage, now they'd dehying garbage too. Have yoose
> no shame.

No none....I am testing the dehydrator and wish to do so at reasonable
cost. When I get more comfortable with it I will use better produce.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself for
> xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a package
> of
> discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced them in the food
> processor and arranged them on the racks around 10 this morning...I'll see
> what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this evening.
>
> -- =============

Cool! I now have three(!). I've done quite a few things in mine but the
repeat favorites tend to be: apples, pears, and jerky.

Oh, canned pineapple comes out nicely. Banana chips are okay but nothing to
write home about. Mushrooms turn out great. Strawberries were okay...but I
need to try them again when I get some that are really sweet - the last
batch weren't very sweet hence... well... you know. I can't remember if I
tried tomatoes or not but will try that the next time I have an overflowing
supply of them.

--
Syssi

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Sheldon wrote on 04 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>

> > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > > So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself
> > > for xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a
> > > package of discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced
> > > them in the food processor and arranged them on the racks around 10
> > > this morning...I'll see what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this
> > > evening.

> > Um, a dehydrater is not for salvaging garbage.... you should be drying
> > the very best produce you can find... see what I mean about folks
> > making stock from garbage, now they'd dehying garbage too. Have yoose
> > no shame.
> >

> No none....I am testing the dehydrator and wish to do so at reasonable
> cost. When I get more comfortable with it I will use better produce.

How will you judge by preparing garbage, you can't. Again, it's the
same as preparing stock from garbage, then one can't possibly compare
with stock from quality ingredients. Fact is once you begin with
dehydrating garbage mushrooms each and everything else you try will be
garbage too, with the same lame garbage excuse... you'll always be
practicing... you will have acquired a taste for garbage, you'll have
no reason to ever try to improve, especially if it costs a few pennies
more. You are obviously afflicted with a serious case of CCBD (Chronic
Cheap ******* Disease), you're just attempting to justify... you're not
at all convincing. Imagine, you actually posted about using garbage
mushrooms as though you are proud of the fact, that folks would think
you invented a good thing, NOT! You'd have done better had you never
mentioned your garbage
'shrooms (we didn't need to know you eat ****), it only
underscores/amplifies the reality of your CCBD. And there is no hope
for you, child molestation is far easier to cure than CCBD.

"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself for
> xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a package
> of
> discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced them in the food
> processor and arranged them on the racks around 10 this morning...I'll see
> what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this evening.

My neighbor across the street has cherries, so I dry a lot of cherries in
May and June then keep them in the freezer for the year. They are wonderful
baked in things and just eaten plain. I make fruit leather for the kids and
I've even made yogurt in my dehydrator, which turned out really nice.

Lynne

Sheldon wrote on 04 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote on 04 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> > > Um, a dehydrater is not for salvaging garbage.... you should be
> > > drying the very best produce you can find... see what I mean about
> > > folks making stock from garbage, now they'd dehying garbage too.
> > > Have yoose no shame.
> > >

> > No none....I am testing the dehydrator and wish to do so at
> > reasonable cost. When I get more comfortable with it I will use
> > better produce.

> How will you judge by preparing garbage, you can't. Again, it's the
> same as preparing stock from garbage, then one can't possibly compare
> with stock from quality ingredients. Fact is once you begin with
> dehydrating garbage mushrooms each and everything else you try will be
> garbage too, with the same lame garbage excuse... you'll always be
> practicing... you will have acquired a taste for garbage, you'll have
> no reason to ever try to improve, especially if it costs a few pennies
> more. You are obviously afflicted with a serious case of CCBD
> (Chronic Cheap ******* Disease), you're just attempting to justify...
> you're not at all convincing. Imagine, you actually posted about
> using garbage mushrooms as though you are proud of the fact, that
> folks would think you invented a good thing, NOT! You'd have done
> better had you never mentioned your garbage
> 'shrooms (we didn't need to know you eat ****), it only
> underscores/amplifies the reality of your CCBD. And there is no hope
> for you, child molestation is far easier to cure than CCBD.

thanks for your opinion sheldon...I'll ignore it as usual.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Sheldon wrote on 04 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>

>>Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>>
>>>So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself
>>>for xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a
>>>package of discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced
>>>them in the food processor and arranged them on the racks around 10
>>>this morning...I'll see what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this
>>>evening.

>>Um, a dehydrater is not for salvaging garbage.... you should be drying
>>the very best produce you can find... see what I mean about folks
>>making stock from garbage, now they'd dehying garbage too. Have yoose
>>no shame.
>>

> No none....I am testing the dehydrator and wish to do so at reasonable
> cost. When I get more comfortable with it I will use better produce.

Buy a one or two pound bag of frozen mixed vegetables and try
dehydrating that. No need to thaw them first. You can use the dried
vegs for munchies or add to soup. They look pretty in a clear jar on
the kitchen counter.

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob wrote:
> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:

> >>Um, a dehydrater is not for salvaging garbage.... you should be drying
> >>the very best produce you can find... see what I mean about folks
> >>making stock from garbage, now they'd dehying garbage too. Have yoose
> >>no shame.

> > No none....I am testing the dehydrator and wish to do so at reasonable
> > cost. When I get more comfortable with it I will use better produce.

> Buy a one or two pound bag of frozen mixed vegetables and try
> dehydrating that. No need to thaw them first. You can use the dried
> vegs for munchies or add to soup. They look pretty in a clear jar on
> the kitchen counter.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

He'll never spring for the money, unless they have *used*.

However, I don't see the logic in preserving by dehydration that which
is already preserved by freezing... just doesn't equate. If you want
to fill jars with color for pretty/esthetics just fill them with foods
that are already dehydrated, like dried beans... especially jelly beans
lol. I have two 1qt Hellman's mayo jars on my desk filled with Jelly
Bellies, looks nice and is edible as is... each 1qt jar jolds a full
2lbs.. I consider a capful a serving.

I also would expect dehydrated frozen veggies would when rehydrated
result in mush... pretty much the same as rehydrated dehydrated used
veggies.... exactly the same as eating ****, *twice*.

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself for
> xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a package of
> discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced them in the food
> processor and arranged them on the racks around 10 this morning...I'll see
> what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this evening.

How did it work?

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob wrote on 08 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>
> > So I finally got around to trying out thr dehydrator I bought myself
> > for xmas...I got, from the used veggie shelf at the grocery store, a
> > package of discount mushrooms (only slightly slime-ie). I sliced
> > them in the food processor and arranged them on the racks around 10
> > this morning...I'll see what they're like around 4 pm and 10 pm this
> > evening.
> >

> How did it work?
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Turned out fairly good from 10am to around 8Pm to dry the mushrooms. It
didn't get as hot as I figured it would. And now I has a pickle jar full
of dried sliced shrooms.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.