trying to choose for a road bike newbie

Paul

Guest
I am considering between two 2006 model bikes and would like your
guidance/experience. I checked for used ones around and haven't found any
yet.

The Orbrea is slightly more expensive than the Trek but the pricing
difference is not enough to be a decision maker in and of itself.

My goal here is to purchase something that will get me into triathlons
decently but I'm not looking to compete in high end racing. On the other
hand, I don't want to buy new and have to replace parts in 1 year either.

They both ride well although I believe the Trek has 3 front gears and the
Orbrea has two - that might mean something to be being a novice.

Your insights and guidance are much appreciated!

Option 1: Orbrea Vuelta:
Frame: Orbea Line w/ Carbon Seat Stays and Zeus AC Fork
# STI/Ergo: Shimano 105 9
# Brakes: Zeus Pro
# Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 9
# Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 9
# Cassette: Shimano 105 9 12-25
# Post: Kalloy Carbon
# Crank/BB: FSA Gossamer 50-34 w/ MegaExo BB
# Wheels: Shimano R-550
# Tires: Vittoria Zaffiro
# Bar: ITM Road Racing
# Stem: ITM Road Racing
# Saddle: Selle Italia Filante
# Shifter: Shinamo 105

Option 2: Teek 1500:
Frame Alpha SLR aluminum
Fork Bontrager carbon
Rims/Wheels Bontrager Select wheelset
Hubs See Rims/Wheels
Spokes See Rims/Wheels
Tires Bontrager Race Lite, 700 x 25c
Crankset Bontrager Race
Chainwheel 52/42/30
Front Derailleur Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra
Rear Cogs Shimano HG50, 9-speed: 12-25
Shifters Shimano 105 STI
Handlebars Bontrager Select, 31.8mm
Stem Bontrager Select, 17-degree
Brake Levers Shimano 105
Brakes Aluminum dual-pivot
Pedals Road w/clips & straps
Saddle Bontrager Race Lux
Seat Post Bontrager carbon

>I am considering between two 2006 model bikes and would like your
>guidance/experience. I checked for used ones around and haven't found any
>yet.
>
> The Orbrea is slightly more expensive than the Trek but the pricing
> difference is not enough to be a decision maker in and of itself.
>
> My goal here is to purchase something that will get me into triathlons
> decently but I'm not looking to compete in high end racing. On the other
> hand, I don't want to buy new and have to replace parts in 1 year either.
>
> They both ride well although I believe the Trek has 3 front gears and the
> Orbrea has two - that might mean something to be being a novice.
>
> Your insights and guidance are much appreciated!

I can't speak to the Orbea, since it's not a bike we sell (nor do we see a
lot of them in our area), but the Trek 1500 is pretty much a no-nonsense
reliable machine that benefits from really nice geometry (Trek seems to be
one of the few that's not going to really short chainstays, resulting in
less-twitchy handling and better shifting) and a great warrranty (lifetime
on frame, 5 years on Bontrager components, which includes the wheels).

The triple crankset can obviously be of help when you get to something
steep, and modern triples don't give up much in terms of shifting, and add
only a small amount of extra weight.

Ultimately, fit, and the quality of the shop that you get the bike from, are
the most-important factors... even more so than brand name. A really good
shop is going to stand behind their product, and do everything they can to
make sure the bike doesn't sit in the garage, gathering dust. You can tell
that sort of shop sometimes... the shop that sees a bike coming in that's a
year or so old, with very little mileage, and wants to know if there's
something not-quite-right, something maybe they can address so you'd want to
ride it more.

There's an article on our website that might help you to evaluate the bikes
on a test ride. It can be found here-
www.ChainReaction.com/roadbiketestrides.htm. It's one of the few on our
website that's material & brand-neutral, so it will be helpful no matter
what you're looking at.

Hope this helps-

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:TRGEh.18336$z6.5452@bigfe9...
>I am considering between two 2006 model bikes and would like your
>guidance/experience. I checked for used ones around and haven't found any
>yet.
>
> The Orbrea is slightly more expensive than the Trek but the pricing
> difference is not enough to be a decision maker in and of itself.
>
> My goal here is to purchase something that will get me into triathlons
> decently but I'm not looking to compete in high end racing. On the other
> hand, I don't want to buy new and have to replace parts in 1 year either.
>
> They both ride well although I believe the Trek has 3 front gears and the
> Orbrea has two - that might mean something to be being a novice.
>
> Your insights and guidance are much appreciated!
>
> Option 1: Orbrea Vuelta:
> Frame: Orbea Line w/ Carbon Seat Stays and Zeus AC Fork
> # STI/Ergo: Shimano 105 9
> # Brakes: Zeus Pro
> # Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 9
> # Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 9
> # Cassette: Shimano 105 9 12-25
> # Post: Kalloy Carbon
> # Crank/BB: FSA Gossamer 50-34 w/ MegaExo BB
> # Wheels: Shimano R-550
> # Tires: Vittoria Zaffiro
> # Bar: ITM Road Racing
> # Stem: ITM Road Racing
> # Saddle: Selle Italia Filante
> # Shifter: Shinamo 105
>
> Option 2: Teek 1500:
> Frame Alpha SLR aluminum
> Fork Bontrager carbon
> Rims/Wheels Bontrager Select wheelset
> Hubs See Rims/Wheels
> Spokes See Rims/Wheels
> Tires Bontrager Race Lite, 700 x 25c
> Crankset Bontrager Race
> Chainwheel 52/42/30
> Front Derailleur Shimano 105
> Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra
> Rear Cogs Shimano HG50, 9-speed: 12-25
> Shifters Shimano 105 STI
> Handlebars Bontrager Select, 31.8mm
> Stem Bontrager Select, 17-degree
> Brake Levers Shimano 105
> Brakes Aluminum dual-pivot
> Pedals Road w/clips & straps
> Saddle Bontrager Race Lux
> Seat Post Bontrager carbon

Thanks Mike - that's a good article. I think I have found a good bike shop
with good fitters and no-pressure sales people.

The Orbea felt better overall except for the saddle which they said could be
swapped out gratis. but I don't think the trek was tuned properly - noise
form the front tire/brake. Being that the components were similar, I
expected similar performance.

I think I am going to try them both again today, if they haven't already
sold.

On Feb 27, 8:48 am, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks Mike - that's a good article. I think I have found a good bike shop
> with good fitters and no-pressure sales people.
>
> The Orbea felt better overall except for the saddle which they said could be
> swapped out gratis. but I don't think the trek was tuned properly - noise
> form the front tire/brake. Being that the components were similar, I
> expected similar performance.
>
> I think I am going to try them both again today, if they haven't already
> sold.

Though I have no personal experience with Orbea, I do have a little
tidbit to add. One of my local shop owners is also a full-time rep
for another bike company. While he states that the bikes he's a rep
for are really good bikes, he seems to speak a touch higher of Orbea
in conversation. He sells both the brand he's a rep for and the
Orbeas in his store, and very little else in new complete bikes. When
I considered dropping my paycheck on a cross bike, he recommended an
Orbea. His personal cross bike is an Orbea. He's apparently a pretty
good cross rider, and he could definitely be riding whatever he
wants.
Also, add a half of a cool point for not having the same bike as
everybody else (Trek) as well as another half cool point for a brand
your average street punk won't know is worth stealing.

Also, if you go back to ride both, mention your concerns with the Trek
before you ride it this time. The shop should be able to get
everything adjusted properly for your test ride so you can make the
right decision based on the bike and not the setup.

On Feb 26, 12:50 pm, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am considering between two 2006 model bikes and would like your
> guidance/experience. I checked for used ones around and haven't found any
> yet.
>
> The Orbrea is slightly more expensive than the Trek but the pricing
> difference is not enough to be a decision maker in and of itself.
>
> My goal here is to purchase something that will get me into triathlons
> decently but I'm not looking to compete in high end racing. On the other
> hand, I don't want to buy new and have to replace parts in 1 year either.
>
> They both ride well although I believe the Trek has 3 front gears and the
> Orbrea has two - that might mean something to be being a novice.
>
> Your insights and guidance are much appreciated!
>
> Option 1: Orbrea Vuelta:
> Frame: Orbea Line w/ Carbon Seat Stays and Zeus AC Fork
> # STI/Ergo: Shimano 105 9
> # Brakes: Zeus Pro
> # Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 9
> # Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 9
> # Cassette: Shimano 105 9 12-25
> # Post: Kalloy Carbon
> # Crank/BB: FSA Gossamer 50-34 w/ MegaExo BB
> # Wheels: Shimano R-550
> # Tires: Vittoria Zaffiro
> # Bar: ITM Road Racing
> # Stem: ITM Road Racing
> # Saddle: Selle Italia Filante
> # Shifter: Shinamo 105
>
> Option 2: Teek 1500:
> Frame Alpha SLR aluminum
> Fork Bontrager carbon
> Rims/Wheels Bontrager Select wheelset
> Hubs See Rims/Wheels
> Spokes See Rims/Wheels
> Tires Bontrager Race Lite, 700 x 25c
> Crankset Bontrager Race
> Chainwheel 52/42/30
> Front Derailleur Shimano 105
> Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra
> Rear Cogs Shimano HG50, 9-speed: 12-25
> Shifters Shimano 105 STI
> Handlebars Bontrager Select, 31.8mm
> Stem Bontrager Select, 17-degree
> Brake Levers Shimano 105
> Brakes Aluminum dual-pivot
> Pedals Road w/clips & straps
> Saddle Bontrager Race Lux
> Seat Post Bontrager carbon

Both are decent bikes. Both brands have been around for while and have
loyal followings If they would both come from the same shop then the
quality of the fit and service should be the same. You really can't go
wrong so just pick the one that makes you happiest.

"gds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Feb 26, 12:50 pm, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am considering between two 2006 model bikes and would like your
>> guidance/experience. I checked for used ones around and haven't found
>> any
>> yet.
>>
>> The Orbrea is slightly more expensive than the Trek but the pricing
>> difference is not enough to be a decision maker in and of itself.
>>
>> My goal here is to purchase something that will get me into triathlons
>> decently but I'm not looking to compete in high end racing. On the other
>> hand, I don't want to buy new and have to replace parts in 1 year either.
>>
>> They both ride well although I believe the Trek has 3 front gears and the
>> Orbrea has two - that might mean something to be being a novice.
>>
>> Your insights and guidance are much appreciated!
>>
>> Option 1: Orbrea Vuelta:
>> Frame: Orbea Line w/ Carbon Seat Stays and Zeus AC Fork
>> # STI/Ergo: Shimano 105 9
>> # Brakes: Zeus Pro
>> # Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 9
>> # Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 9
>> # Cassette: Shimano 105 9 12-25
>> # Post: Kalloy Carbon
>> # Crank/BB: FSA Gossamer 50-34 w/ MegaExo BB
>> # Wheels: Shimano R-550
>> # Tires: Vittoria Zaffiro
>> # Bar: ITM Road Racing
>> # Stem: ITM Road Racing
>> # Saddle: Selle Italia Filante
>> # Shifter: Shinamo 105
>>
>> Option 2: Teek 1500:
>> Frame Alpha SLR aluminum
>> Fork Bontrager carbon
>> Rims/Wheels Bontrager Select wheelset
>> Hubs See Rims/Wheels
>> Spokes See Rims/Wheels
>> Tires Bontrager Race Lite, 700 x 25c
>> Crankset Bontrager Race
>> Chainwheel 52/42/30
>> Front Derailleur Shimano 105
>> Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra
>> Rear Cogs Shimano HG50, 9-speed: 12-25
>> Shifters Shimano 105 STI
>> Handlebars Bontrager Select, 31.8mm
>> Stem Bontrager Select, 17-degree
>> Brake Levers Shimano 105
>> Brakes Aluminum dual-pivot
>> Pedals Road w/clips & straps
>> Saddle Bontrager Race Lux
>> Seat Post Bontrager carbon

> Both are decent bikes. Both brands have been around for while and have
> loyal followings If they would both come from the same shop then the
> quality of the fit and service should be the same. You really can't go
> wrong so just pick the one that makes you happiest.

The Trek also has a life time warranty on the frame. I do not know about
the other.

guys - I ended up with the Orbea Vuelta. I rode it for the first time
yesterday. Bearing in mind I am comparing to my bike up until Monday was a
30 year old Schwinn, it's a different ride experience altogether.

I love having all the gears to take on hills I previously had to muscle
through, and sprinting is unbelievable with clipless pedals.

I am VERY happy with the new bike.

Thanks for your help and insights.

On Mar 1, 12:36 pm, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> guys - I ended up with the Orbea Vuelta. I rode it for the first time
> yesterday. Bearing in mind I am comparing to my bike up until Monday was a
> 30 year old Schwinn, it's a different ride experience altogether.
>
> I love having all the gears to take on hills I previously had to muscle
> through, and sprinting is unbelievable with clipless pedals.
>
> I am VERY happy with the new bike.
>
> Thanks for your help and insights.

Enjoy your ride. I'm going to have to try that gears on the road
thing eventually myself, especially if the hills around here keep
getting steeper.