Trying to convince us?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by elyob, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. Timo

    Timo Guest

    So? Many right wing people are keen cyclists. George Bush himself is
    one. I'm always puzzled by how politicised a topic cycling is. There's
    no reason it should be.

  2. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Timo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So? Many right wing people are keen cyclists. George Bush himself is
    > one. I'm always puzzled by how politicised a topic cycling is. There's
    > no reason it should be.

    I'm always puzzled when people take things seriously. It was a light
    comment, if I was voting for cycling MP's, Boris would have been the PM
    years ago!

  3. Nobody Here

    Nobody Here Guest

    elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Timo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> So? Many right wing people are keen cyclists. George Bush himself is
    >> one. I'm always puzzled by how politicised a topic cycling is. There's
    >> no reason it should be.
    >>

    > I'm always puzzled when people take things seriously. It was a light
    > comment, if I was voting for cycling MP's, Boris would have been the PM
    > years ago!

    How? Have you somehow managed to subvert the system and make your single
    vote countfor many? ;-)

    Seriously, though, I'd vote for Boris coz he'd be a right laugh as PM.
    Can you imaging hime on the international stage? Fantastic!

    --
    Nobby

  4. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

  5. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

  6. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Timo wrote:
    > So? Many right wing people are keen cyclists. George Bush himself is
    > one. I'm always puzzled by how politicised a topic cycling is. There's
    > no reason it should be.

    It is a perfectly conservative form of transport. You can travel as far
    as you have the ability. It is environmentally friendly, mass market,
    and money doesn't buy you priviledge (though it can make things a bit
    easier). The more effort you put in, the more you get back.

    ...d

  7. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    "I tried to make a start this morning by cycling to work. It was a
    carbon-neutral journey till the BBC sent a helicopter to follow me".

    David Cameron today..

  8. David Martin wrote:
    > "I tried to make a start this morning by cycling to work. It was a
    > carbon-neutral journey till the BBC sent a helicopter to follow me".
    >
    > David Cameron today..

    Excellent stuff.

    --
    Ambrose

  9. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    >"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> http://politics.guardian.co.uk/toryleader/story/0,16473,1658941,00.html?gusrc=rss
    >>
    >> Is he trying to convince us all to vote Tory?

    >Le Cameron is frequently pictured cycling. Seems he cycles to the bear pit
    >regularly. Makes me wonder whether the Daily Wail will now start ranting
    >against him; can't have a Lycra Lout in charge, after all ;-)

    Now that he is Leader of the Opposition I expect he will be told to
    make use of the official car as he will be easier to protect in it.

    This quote is from when IDS became Leader of the Opposition:

    There are fringe benefits to being the leader of the opposition such
    as an official car, a salary of £119,979 and £524,799 to fund the
    Leader of the Opposition's office.

  10. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "I tried to make a start this morning by cycling to work. It was a
    > carbon-neutral journey till the BBC sent a helicopter to follow me".
    >
    > David Cameron today..

    It was his best line, I thought, and I'm not a Conservative supporter
    naturally.

    I also liked the comment by a new Conservative MP, comparing the 'optimism'
    of Cameron with the 'Vortex of Misery' that is Gordon Brown. 'Vortex of
    Misery' is an excellent summing up of the miserable g*t that is the current
    Chancellor..

    Cheers, helen s

  11. mark

    mark Guest

    "David Martin" wrote ...
    > It is a perfectly conservative form of transport. You can travel as far
    > as you have the ability. It is environmentally friendly, mass market,
    > and money doesn't buy you priviledge (though it can make things a bit
    > easier). The more effort you put in, the more you get back.

    Then why does George Bush ride one?
    --
    mark

  12. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Simon Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > elyob wrote:
    >>

    > http://politics.guardian.co.uk/toryleader/story/0,16473,1658941,00.html?gusrc=rss
    >>
    >> Is he trying to convince us all to vote Tory?

    > Just so long as he actually rides to work every day and this is not just
    > some crude media stunt on a day when his agent knew he'd be in the media
    > eye; projecting his youthful and vigourous public image.

    The main issue that needs to be addressed is of course a crucial policy
    issue to be decided upon.... is he going to promote the Campag or Shimano
    wings of the Party?

    Cheers, helen s

  13. wafflycat wrote:

    > The main issue that needs to be addressed is of course a crucial
    > policy issue to be decided upon.... is he going to promote the Campag
    > or Shimano wings of the Party?

    I don't think a mass market bike like his runs Campag.

  14. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    elyob wrote:
    > http://politics.guardian.co.uk/toryleader/story/0,16473,1658941,00.html?gusrc=rss
    >
    > Is he trying to convince us all to vote Tory?

    There are a lot of us who are desparate for an electable
    alternative to The Liar. If he can keep the meeja sweet
    - in this country governed by mediocracy (media-bandwagon
    sentiment masquerading as democracy), he'll likely win by
    default. 1997 revisited.

    But what is that crap on his nut?

    --
    not me guv

  15. Steve Peake

    Steve Peake Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:05:17 +0000, Nick Kew wrote:

    > But what is that crap on his nut?

    He was wearing it when he left home, but had it on the handlebars when
    arriving at work. I guess it was for the cameras.

    Steve

  16. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Steve Peake wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:05:17 +0000, Nick Kew wrote:
    >>But what is that crap on his nut?

    > He was wearing it when he left home, but had it on the handlebars when
    > arriving at work. I guess it was for the cameras.

    That's postman mode.

    --
    Dave...

  17. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Simon Bennett
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > wafflycat wrote:
    >
    >> The main issue that needs to be addressed is of course a crucial
    >> policy issue to be decided upon.... is he going to promote the Campag
    >> or Shimano wings of the Party?

    > I don't think a mass market bike like his runs Campag.

    /Surely/ an Old Etonian doesn't ride /Shimano/?

    'Victories are not solutions.'
    ;; John Hume, Northern Irish politician, on Radio Scotland 1/2/95
    ;; Nobel Peace Prize laureate 1998; few have deserved it so much

  18. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    > /Surely/ an Old Etonian doesn't ride /Shimano/?

    Indeedee... one can but hope that standards are not slipping ;-)

    Cheers, helen s