Trying to convince us?

So? Many right wing people are keen cyclists. George Bush himself is
one. I'm always puzzled by how politicised a topic cycling is. There's
no reason it should be.

"Timo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So? Many right wing people are keen cyclists. George Bush himself is
> one. I'm always puzzled by how politicised a topic cycling is. There's
> no reason it should be.

I'm always puzzled when people take things seriously. It was a light
comment, if I was voting for cycling MP's, Boris would have been the PM
years ago!

elyob <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Timo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> So? Many right wing people are keen cyclists. George Bush himself is
>> one. I'm always puzzled by how politicised a topic cycling is. There's
>> no reason it should be.
>>

> I'm always puzzled when people take things seriously. It was a light
> comment, if I was voting for cycling MP's, Boris would have been the PM
> years ago!

How? Have you somehow managed to subvert the system and make your single
vote countfor many? ;-)

Seriously, though, I'd vote for Boris coz he'd be a right laugh as PM.
Can you imaging hime on the international stage? Fantastic!

--
Nobby

Timo wrote:
> So? Many right wing people are keen cyclists. George Bush himself is
> one. I'm always puzzled by how politicised a topic cycling is. There's
> no reason it should be.

It is a perfectly conservative form of transport. You can travel as far
as you have the ability. It is environmentally friendly, mass market,
and money doesn't buy you priviledge (though it can make things a bit
easier). The more effort you put in, the more you get back.

...d

"I tried to make a start this morning by cycling to work. It was a
carbon-neutral journey till the BBC sent a helicopter to follow me".

David Cameron today..

David Martin wrote:
> "I tried to make a start this morning by cycling to work. It was a
> carbon-neutral journey till the BBC sent a helicopter to follow me".
>
> David Cameron today..

Excellent stuff.

--
Ambrose

wafflycat wrote:

>"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> http://politics.guardian.co.uk/toryleader/story/0,16473,1658941,00.html?gusrc=rss
>>
>> Is he trying to convince us all to vote Tory?

>Le Cameron is frequently pictured cycling. Seems he cycles to the bear pit
>regularly. Makes me wonder whether the Daily Wail will now start ranting
>against him; can't have a Lycra Lout in charge, after all ;-)

Now that he is Leader of the Opposition I expect he will be told to
make use of the official car as he will be easier to protect in it.

This quote is from when IDS became Leader of the Opposition:

There are fringe benefits to being the leader of the opposition such
as an official car, a salary of £119,979 and £524,799 to fund the
Leader of the Opposition's office.

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "I tried to make a start this morning by cycling to work. It was a
> carbon-neutral journey till the BBC sent a helicopter to follow me".
>
> David Cameron today..

It was his best line, I thought, and I'm not a Conservative supporter
naturally.

I also liked the comment by a new Conservative MP, comparing the 'optimism'
of Cameron with the 'Vortex of Misery' that is Gordon Brown. 'Vortex of
Misery' is an excellent summing up of the miserable g*t that is the current
Chancellor..

Cheers, helen s

"David Martin" wrote ...
> It is a perfectly conservative form of transport. You can travel as far
> as you have the ability. It is environmentally friendly, mass market,
> and money doesn't buy you priviledge (though it can make things a bit
> easier). The more effort you put in, the more you get back.

Then why does George Bush ride one?
--
mark

"Simon Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> elyob wrote:
>>

> http://politics.guardian.co.uk/toryleader/story/0,16473,1658941,00.html?gusrc=rss
>>
>> Is he trying to convince us all to vote Tory?

> Just so long as he actually rides to work every day and this is not just
> some crude media stunt on a day when his agent knew he'd be in the media
> eye; projecting his youthful and vigourous public image.

The main issue that needs to be addressed is of course a crucial policy
issue to be decided upon.... is he going to promote the Campag or Shimano
wings of the Party?

Cheers, helen s

wafflycat wrote:

> The main issue that needs to be addressed is of course a crucial
> policy issue to be decided upon.... is he going to promote the Campag
> or Shimano wings of the Party?

I don't think a mass market bike like his runs Campag.

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:05:17 +0000, Nick Kew wrote:

> But what is that **** on his nut?

He was wearing it when he left home, but had it on the handlebars when
arriving at work. I guess it was for the cameras.

Steve

Steve Peake wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:05:17 +0000, Nick Kew wrote:
>>But what is that **** on his nut?

> He was wearing it when he left home, but had it on the handlebars when
> arriving at work. I guess it was for the cameras.

That's postman mode.

--
Dave...

in message <[email protected]>, Simon Bennett
('[email protected]') wrote:

> wafflycat wrote:
>
>> The main issue that needs to be addressed is of course a crucial
>> policy issue to be decided upon.... is he going to promote the Campag
>> or Shimano wings of the Party?

> I don't think a mass market bike like his runs Campag.

/Surely/ an Old Etonian doesn't ride /Shimano/?

'Victories are not solutions.'
;; John Hume, Northern Irish politician, on Radio Scotland 1/2/95
;; Nobel Peace Prize laureate 1998; few have deserved it so much