Trying to decide between Scott and Specialized...first time buyer.

jaxpdl

Nov 1, 2007
I am purchasing my first road bike, so far I have been riding a Caloi Pro my father gave me. I am 6'4 and about 215lbs. So far I have narrowed my search to two bikes. The Scott CR1 Team and the Specialized Tarmac Elite. The Scott CR1 is a 2007 and is about $300 cheaper than the Specialized which is a 2008. Both are carbon frames, both have Shimano 105 component set. The reviews for both bikes seem attractive...does anyone have any insight? I am looking to purchase within a few days for a long ride next weekend. Thanks for you help.

jaxpdl said:
I am looking to purchase within a few days for a long ride next weekend. Thanks for you help.
I surmise that both of these bikes are reasonably sized correctly for you--60-62 cm seat tube (nominal), 175 mm cranks, 44-46 cm handlebar width, etc. etc.

Choose the bike that fits you better--the one that doesn't require you to max out the seat post, lets you push the saddle back sufficiently without using a setback seat post, and gives you adequate handlebar height and reach using a 11-14cm stem unflipped.

If both meet these criteria, then my prejudices would say buy the Scott.

I'm really amazed, though, at how many people would choose a $2500-$6000 bike based on component mix and weight, without considering the final fit and feel.

I have the same decisionbut the Specialized was knocked out early. Too flexy for my weight. The title fight was between the Scott CR1 Pro and Giant TCR C1.

I'm about to get my bike fit next week

I am 6'3, and when i started riding and racing, 210lbs (now 180). I got an '05 Specialized Tarmac 58 and love it!!! Fast and explosive and awesome looking. Just my 2cents

fstrdr7 said:
I am 6'3, and when i started riding and racing, 210lbs (now 180). I got an '05 Specialized Tarmac 58 and love it!!! Fast and explosive and awesome looking. Just my 2cents
I'm not as tall or as heavy after testing the Scott CR1, there was no other option.

I'm biased though, after the less than flattering review of the S-Works Tarmac SL in the exeptional RIDE magazine, I don't think anyone in Australia will be looking at a Specialized again. And with their recall of their recently released 2D road helmet, as used by may TdF teams it doen't give me any faith.

So are you telling us that at under 82kg you are flexing the Tarmac after a test ride and not the TCR? Granted I haven't ridden a CR1 but I'm assumming the wattage you're generating would also 'flex' the Scott.

In regards to the 2D helmet, I have never worn anything as light or comfortable. It's been crashed in a criterium here in Melb and held up well.

I'm just hoping they release better colours next year.

To the OP, purchase the bike that fits you best. You can't go wrong with any of these bikes.

Some info:
08 Specialized Tarmac Elite Frame (basically
the same as the SL ridden by Bettini and Boonen / SL2 Green Jersey TDF & UCI WC)
08 Scott CR1 (used by Saunier Duval before they upgraded to Addicts)
07/08 Giant TCR Comp (basically the older 06 TCR Advanced with different fork)

Specialized felt like it would absorb alot of road buzz, too much for my liking, I still like the stiffness of a aluminium bike. It's personal preference, I just don't like the way the Specialized rode.

Anyway, I got measured up today and will go in for a final fit on Thu for my CR1. I hope the fit is close to what I want, I don't want to be fiddling around too much.

As Bikesnob Nyc would say, the Specialized is laterally stiff yet vertically compliant :). I must admit, the Tarmac offers a very smooth ride, particularly good if you are out training and on the saddle for 4+ hours.

That being said, the CR1 is also a very nice bike. Race proven by the guys at Saunier Duval. The neutral colour of the 08 Team allows it to match Mavic, Shimano, Fulcrum, and Zipp wheelsets - which is a good thing.

Good luck with the fitting and safe riding.