Trying to decide on a bike

sandig

Aug 7, 2005
Hi all,

My husband is training for a tri (with Team In Training) and needs to buy a road bike. He has narrowed his choice down to a Scott Speedster S2 and a Trek 2100 (He just eliminated the Giant TCR3?) . He felt the Speedster was smoother but that the Trek was more powerful. He has some back problems so he has to put that into consideration. The Speedster was on a special and is $300 less than the Trek. I think it is doubly hard because he is finding very little online when researching the Scott brand. Is the Speedster less common in the US?

Thank you so much !!
Sandi

sandig said:
Hi all,

My husband is training for a tri (with Team In Training) and needs to buy a road bike. He has narrowed his choice down to a Scott Speedster S2 and a Trek 2100 (He just eliminated the Giant TCR3?) . He felt the Speedster was smoother but that the Trek was more powerful. He has some back problems so he has to put that into consideration. The Speedster was on a special and is $300 less than the Trek. I think it is doubly hard because he is finding very little online when researching the Scott brand. Is the Speedster less common in the US?

Thank you so much !!
Sandi
If he is training for a triathlon, bike fit will be the most important over brand, especially with aero bars which I assume he will use.

Things like height and weight also factor in for bigger guys--over 5'11'' and over 185 pounds the choice of frame material will favor steel, Ti, Carbon over aluminum although Al is cheaper and lighter.

A good bike shop should help him sort these factors out, then its a matter of preference because having re-started riding 5 years ago I went through a couple of bikes and sizes until got things perfect, for my riding style. You really have to ride a lot to get on a bike and know its gonna be good for you