Trying to find 165mm MTB crank

BarryNL

Guest
Hi,

I'm trying to find a 165mm crank to replace the stock Alivio 175mm on my
Trek 4500 but I can't seem to find much. The XTR range has one but
that's a bit pricy for me. The XT range claims to have one (on the
Shimano website) but I can't find a mail order place in the UK or
Netherlands that actually carries it.

Does anyone know any cranks that would work - preferably anything from
standard Deore to Deore XT quality/price, and where I could get hold of
them - UK or Netherlands suppliers would be best.

Regards, Barry.

"BarryNL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find a 165mm crank to replace the stock Alivio 175mm on my
> Trek 4500 but I can't seem to find much. The XTR range has one but
> that's a bit pricy for me. The XT range claims to have one (on the
> Shimano website) but I can't find a mail order place in the UK or
> Netherlands that actually carries it.
>
> Does anyone know any cranks that would work - preferably anything from
> standard Deore to Deore XT quality/price, and where I could get hold of
> them - UK or Netherlands suppliers would be best.
>
> Regards, Barry.

Here's an Azonic for $99.95:

http://www.trianglemountainbikes.co...o&currency=USD&products_id=664&source=Froogle

You will need to buy rings for them, though. That, you can get anywhere.

Or get a DH cranks which will come in 165mm.

BarryNL wrote:

> I'm trying to find a 165mm crank to replace the stock Alivio 175mm on my
> Trek 4500 but I can't seem to find much. The XTR range has one but
> that's a bit pricy for me. The XT range claims to have one (on the
> Shimano website) but I can't find a mail order place in the UK or
> Netherlands that actually carries it.
>
> Does anyone know any cranks that would work - preferably anything from
> standard Deore to Deore XT quality/price, and where I could get hold of
> them - UK or Netherlands suppliers would be best.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks.html#11074

We ship worldwide.

Sheldon "110/74 Rules" Brown
| This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
| exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
| send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
| sub-atomic resources for future generations. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

BarryNL wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find a 165mm crank to replace the stock Alivio 175mm on my
> Trek 4500 but I can't seem to find much. The XTR range has one but
> that's a bit pricy for me. The XT range claims to have one (on the
> Shimano website) but I can't find a mail order place in the UK or
> Netherlands that actually carries it.
>
> Does anyone know any cranks that would work - preferably anything from
> standard Deore to Deore XT quality/price, and where I could get hold of
> them - UK or Netherlands suppliers would be best.
>
> Regards, Barry.

Shimano Europe isn't interested in selling extra short or long cranks.
The TA importer's only interest is selling chainrings.....

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> BarryNL wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to find a 165mm crank to replace the stock Alivio 175mm

on my
> > Trek 4500 but I can't seem to find much. The XTR range has one but
> > that's a bit pricy for me. The XT range claims to have one (on the
> > Shimano website) but I can't find a mail order place in the UK or
> > Netherlands that actually carries it.
> >
> > Does anyone know any cranks that would work - preferably anything

from
> > standard Deore to Deore XT quality/price, and where I could get

hold of
> > them - UK or Netherlands suppliers would be best.

> See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks.html#11074
>
> We ship worldwide.
>
> Sheldon "110/74 Rules" Brown

You should add, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" with
that.

JD

I beg to differ. Shimano Europe carries more sizes than Shimano USA -
for instance, I had to order my Ultegra 167.5 cranks from England -
they don't carry them in the USA. (They finally do, starting this year,
but only Dura-Ace - their rep told me "fine leg length adjustments only
matter to elite cyclists, who will be riding Dura Ace").

Try St John Street cycles - www.sjscycles.com - if not any Shimano
stockist should be able to get them.

sunderland wrote:

> I beg to differ. Shimano Europe carries more sizes than Shimano USA -
> for instance, I had to order my Ultegra 167.5 cranks from England -
> they don't carry them in the USA. (They finally do, starting this year,
> but only Dura-Ace - their rep told me "fine leg length adjustments only
> matter to elite cyclists, who will be riding Dura Ace").
>
> Try St John Street cycles - www.sjscycles.com - if not any Shimano
> stockist should be able to get them.

Maybe Madison has their own selection of parts, and there are a lot of
grey imports about. But this is what you can order in the Netherlands

IFC2200C29X CRANK SET 170/52X39
IFC2203C220X CRANK SET 170/52X42X30
IFC2200E29X CRANK SET 175/52X39
IFC2203E220X CRANK SET 175/52X42X30
IFC3301C29X CRANK SET 170/52X39
IFC3304C220X CRANK SET 170/52X42X30
IFC3301E29X CRANK SET 175/52X39
IFC3304E220X CRANK SET 175/52X42X30
IFC4401C29L CRANK SET 170/52X39
IFC4401C29S CRANK SET 170/52X39
IFC4404C220L CRANK SET 170/52X42X30
IFC4404C220S CRANK SET 170/52X42X30
IFC4401E29L CRANK SET 175/52X39
IFC4401E29S CRANK SET 175/52X39
IFC4404E220S CRANK SET 175/52X42X30
IFC4404E220L CRANK SET 175/52X42X30
IFC5502C29S CRANK SET 170/52X39
IFC5505C220S CRANK SET 170/52X42X30
IFC5502C39S CRANK SET 170/53X39
IFC5502D29S CRANK SET 172.5/52X39
IFC5505E220S CRANK SET 175/52X42X30
IFC5502E39S CRANK SET 175/53X39
IFC5502C29L CRANK SET 170/52X39
IFC5505C220L CRANK SET 170/52X42X30
IFC5502D29L CRANK SET 172.5/52X39
IFC5502E29L CRANK SET 175/52X39
IFC5505E220L CRANK SET 175/52X42X30
IFC5502E39L CRANK SET 175/53X39
IFC6500C29 CRANK SET 170/52X39
IFC6503C220 CRANK SET 170/52X42X30
IFC6500C39 CRANK SET 170/53X39
IFC6500C32 CRANK SET 170/53X42
IFC6503D220 CRANK SET 172.5/52X42X30
IFC6503E220 CRANK SET 175/52X42X30
IFC6600CX29 CRANK SET 170/52X39T
IFC6603CX290 CRANK SET 170/52X39X30T
IFC6600DX29 CRANK SET 172.5/52X39T
IFC6603DX290 CRANK SET 172.5/52X39X30T
IFC6600DX39 CRANK SET 172.5/53X39T
IFC6600EX29 CRANK SET 175/52X39T
IFC6603EX290 CRANK SET 175/52X39X30T
IFC6600EX39 CRANK SET 175/53X39T
IFC7703C390 CRANK SET 170/53X39X30
IFC7703D390 CRANK SET 172.5/53X39X30
IFC7703E390 CRANK SET 175/53X39X30
IFC7800CX29 CRANK SET 170/52X39T
IFC7803CX290 CRANK SET 170/52X39X30T
IFC7800DX29 CRANK SET 172.5/52X39T
IFC7803DX290 CRANK SET 172.5/52X39X30T
IFC7800DX39 CRANK SET 172.5/53X39T
IFC7800EX29 CRANK SET 175/52X39T
IFC7803EX290 CRANK SET 175/52X39X30T
IFC7800EX39 CRANK SET 175/53X39T
IFC7800FX29 CRANK SET 177.5/52X39T
IFC7803FX290 CRANK SET 177.5/52X39X30T
IFC7800GX29 CRANK SET 180/52X39T
IFC7803GX290 CRANK SET 180/52X39X30T
IFCC050C244C CRANK SET 170/42X34X24+CG
IFCC051C888C CRANK SET 170/48X38X28+CG
IFCC101C244C CRANK SET 170/42X34X24+CG
IFCC530C3X CRANK SET 170/33
IFCC530C8C CRANK SET 170/38
IFCC530C8X CRANK SET 170/38
IFCC505C644CL CRANK SET 170MM 46X34X24
IFCC505C644CS1 CRANK SET 170MM 46X34X24
IFCC600E64C CRANK SET 175/46X34+CG
IFCC900C64C CRANK SET 170/46X34+CG
IFCC900E64C CRANK SET 175/46X34+CG
IFCTS52C222CL CRANK SET 170/42X32X22+CG
IFCM340C222C CRANK SET 170/42X32X22+CG
IFCM445C422CL CRANK SET 170/44X32X22+CG
IFCM445C422CS CRANK SET 170/44X32X22+CG
IFCM4601AC422CL CRANK SET 170/44X32X22+CG
IFCM5401C422DL CRANK SET 170/44X32X22+CG
IFCTS95C422CL CRANK SET 170/44X32X22+CG
IFCTS95C422CS CRANK SET 170/44X32X22+CG
IFCM445E422CL CRANK SET 175/44X32X22+CG
IFCM445E422CS CRANK SET 175/44X32X22+CG
IFCM4601AE422CL CRANK SET 175/44X32X22+CG
IFCM5401E422DL CRANK SET 175/44X32X22+CG
IFCM5401E866XS CRANK SET 175/48X36X26
IFCM572E422XS CRANK SET 175/44X32X22
IFCM580E422X CRANK SET 175/44X32X22
IFCM581E866X CRANK SET 175/48X36X26
IFCM6003E422 CRANK SET 175/44X32X22
IFCM760E422X CRANK SET 175/44X32X22
IFCM761KE866X CRANK SET 175/48X36X26
IFCM8001CA8 CRANK SET 170/38
IFCM8002E22 CRANK SET 175/32X22
IFCM8001EA8 CRANK SET 175/38
IFCM8003E422 CRANK SET 175/44X32X22
IFCM960E422 CRANK SET 175/44X32X22
IFCM960E424 CRANK SET 175/44X32X24
IFCMC20C222CL CRANK SET 170/42X32X22+CG
IFCMC19C222CL CRANK SET 170/42X32X22+CG
IFCMC19C222CS CRANK SET 170/42X32X22+CG
IFCMC20C222CS CRANK SET 170/42X32X22+CG
IFCTS70E222C CRANK SET 175/42X32X22+CG
IFCMC20E222CL CRANK SET 175/42X32X22+CG
IFCMC20E222CS CRANK SET 175/42X32X22+CG
IFCT410C222C CRANK SET 170/42X32X22+CG
IFCT411C888C CRANK SET 170/48X38X28+CG
IFCT303C888C CRANK SET 170/48X38X28+CG
IFCT410E222C CRANK SET 175/42X32X22+CG
IFCNX30C8 CRANK SET 170/38 110MM
IFCNX40C3 CRANK SET 170/33 95MM
IFCS100C3 CRANK SET 170/33 95MM
IFCNX40C8 CRANK SET 170/38 110MM
IFCS100C8S CRANK SET 170/38 95MM
IFCNX70C3 CRANK SET 170/33 95MM
IFCNX60C3 CRANK SET 170/33
IFCNX80C6C CRANK SET 170/46
IFCTX70C244C CRANK SET 170/42X34X24+CG
IFCTX71C888C CRANK SET 170/48X38X28+CG
IFCTY40C244C CRANK SET 170/42X34X24+CG

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:27:33 +0200, BarryNL <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm trying to find a 165mm crank to replace the stock Alivio 175mm on my

Hi Barry,

Have you tried using 170 mm cranks?

If so, did you notice an improvement in the type of effords that are
most crucial to you - that is, where you feel more dificulty?

My inseam should require something between 155 and 160 mm cranks
(depending on the formula used to calculate it). As you probably
imagine, I couldn't get my hands on any of those (for MTB chainrings).

So, my experiments had to be based on comparing 170 to 175 mm cranks.
It turned out, I felt better with 175 mm cranks, specially when
climbing - maybe my legs are stronger than my heart/lungs.

My friends find odd that I still have what they think is a very high
cadence - which is now actually a bit lower than when using 170 mm
cranks.

Before jumping into the 165 mm cranks, I would suggest you trying out
a (cheap) 170 mm pair of cranks, and see if that's the move in the
right direction for you - for me, it wasn't ;-) You'd then be able to
make a more confident investment decision.

Good luck,
Big Ben.