Trying to find a large framed inexpensive Mountain Bike

jcub3d

Jul 21, 2011
Hello, I am looking to buy a mountain bike that I could also use as a short commuter bike to work(only like 3 miles one way, I have a hybrid at another house for a longer commute). I am 6'7" and haven't had much luck looking for used one's so I was gonna go with a an '11 Giant Boulder for $299, GT Aggressor for $249, Diamondback Response for $299, or a Fuji Nevada for $299 I'd like a 29er as they seem like a good fit for a pretty large person but the cheapest I found is a bit higher than $600 and I don't think I have that to spare.

However, today on craigslist I saw an add for a 1997 Cannondale M300 (24" frame), they were asking for $360 in the add... that seems pretty outrageous since the original MSRP was only $455. How much should I pay for a 15 year old Cannondale M300?

I know none of these are the best of the best, but thats pretty much where my budget is at right now.

Which of those 5 would be the best? One of the new entry level bikes? or a 15 year old bike that was probably superior when it was new?

Currently I think I like the GT Aggressor most for purely aesthetic reasons, but I know nothing about those brands.

P.S. sorry for throwing out all this information! I am just confused and hoping someone may help me!

No thoughts or Opinions on which of those bikes are best, or even how much one should pay for an old Cannondale M300?

Would greatly appreciate the help

FWIW. For a three mile commute, I don't think it matters what bike you are riding as long as the brakes work & don't drag on the wheels + whatever needs to be move moves ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., is properly adjusted & lubed[/COLOR]) ...

• I think a 29er would definitely be a good choice for someone who is as tall as you are if you were riding on unpaved surfaces ... but, it's important to work within ones budget, and (as I previously mentioned) the distance you will be using the bike is short.

It's a tough call to say how much a 24" 1997 Cannondale M300 is worth -- since it is a size YOU ([COLOR= #808080]and, probably YOU-alone[/COLOR]) would want, if it hasn't been snapped up by another tall person AND presuming it is ready-to-ride when you look at it, then I would offer the seller whatever amount CLOSER to $200 makes sense to you ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., less than $200 ...[/COLOR]) based on the overall condition of the bike ...

BUT, despite the almost-meaningless suspension fork ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., dead weight ... it could be replaced for "serious" off-road riding)[/COLOR], I would choose the GT Aggressor, also ...[COLOR= #008000] why pay more? [/COLOR]... and ([COLOR= #ff0000]if the prices you cited are the MSRP[/COLOR]), try to get it for about 25% off of retail because that is what a NOS, year-old bike ([COLOR= #808080]which is what a 2011 bike became on July 1st[/COLOR]) should sell for at an LBS.

thanks for your response, and I am glad you have reinforced the GT bike, in the grand scheme of things I'm guessing those four bikes are probably pretty similar in regards to quality. Right now the person selling the Cannondale has gone down to $225, but unless they go sub $200 I will probably just buy the new GT. Most of them are already marked down $100 or more from MSRP.

The Canondale does not have shocks on its front forks so I am guessing either way I would want to replace them? Not really sure. Any reasonably priced recomendations?

Originally Posted by jcub3d .

The Canondale does not have shocks on its front forks so I am guessing either way I would want to replace them? Not really sure. Any reasonably priced recomendations?
A rigid fork is better for paved riding ...

Unfortunately, the particular Cannondale appears to have a fork which has a 1" steerer ...

Suspension fork design was still a little dodgy by the time 1 1/8" forks became the norm on MTBs ([COLOR= #ff0000]¿[/COLOR]in the mid-90s[COLOR= #ff0000]?[/COLOR]) ...

And, I think that the only (?) way to install a suspension fork on the particular Cannondale which is worth the extra weight would be to retrofit a 1" steerer in the shoulder of a more contemporary suspension fork -- some steerers are replaceable, some aren't.

FWIW. I hope you chose the GT.