Trying to find replacement crankset..

brandenjs

May 14, 2007
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and consider myself new to cycling. I am trying to replace the crankset on my Trek 820.(I know it's an old clunker,but I like it and it suits my riding style..) It has a 48-38-28 170mm square tapered set on it now. I want to change the length to 175 or 180 and keep the same gearing. I can't find a set that is decent quality and still reasonably priced. I am using this bike for mostly touring and some riding on the C & O Canal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

I looked in the Shimano Book for 175mm 28/38/48 Square Drive, seems to be 160 and 170mm only.

Sunrace has a FCM-31 Crankset available in 175mm with 28/38/48 and a square drive. It should be about the same price as Shimano TX71.

Yeah the Sunrace looks like it will work,but I can't find an outlet for it. I emailed Sunrace and have not gotten a response. Does anyone know who would sell these..

gclark8 said:
I looked in the Shimano Book for 175mm 28/38/48 Square Drive, seems to be 160 and 170mm only.

Sunrace has a FCM-31 Crankset available in 175mm with 28/38/48 and a square drive. It should be about the same price as Shimano TX71.

brandenjs said:
Yeah the Sunrace looks like it will work,but I can't find an outlet for it. I emailed Sunrace and have not gotten a response. Does anyone know who would sell these..
You could try Harris Cyclery (Newton, MA, USA). They have lots of obscure items in stock or available via special order....

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks.html

~OldGoat

brandenjs said:
I could send one from Australia, but the freight!!! :eek: :eek:

Sun Race Sturmey Archer USA moves to new US headquarters in Napa, CA.
Sun Race Sturmey-Archer USA
3212 Jefferson Street #409
Napa, CA. 94558 USA
Phone (707) 259-6700
Fax (707) 259-6710
E-mail - [email protected]

brandenjs said:
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and consider myself new to cycling. I am trying to replace the crankset on my Trek 820.(I know it's an old clunker,but I like it and it suits my riding style..) It has a 48-38-28 170mm square tapered set on it now. I want to change the length to 175 or 180 and keep the same gearing. I can't find a set that is decent quality and still reasonably priced. I am using this bike for mostly touring and some riding on the C & O Canal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....
I like Craigslist for everything. When I can't find it there, I head over to ebay. Older bike, a lot of good used equiptment out there.:)