Trying To Gain Weight, But Questions!

Enkil

Mar 3, 2004
here the story

im a skinny guy 16 yrs old, all my life i was skiny, just last year i decided to eat more and after the end of August (of last year) some ppl notice that i gain a lil weight on my face (where it was more noticiable)

i was very happy, and entill today i continu TO FORCE MYSELF to eat more, even if im full i still eat

my question is, what will the concequences be when i get older? (20 - 25 yrs old) will i gain weight? or be the same? my dad is also skinny so maybe im just like him? but is there a way i could gain weight, is there an advantage for my age? remember im just 16 yrs old

since im eating more than i can, i imagine my system is going wild, will it grow bigger in order to handle all the food, so that will make me fat?

im not trying to get muscles (im not interested in that), just wanna be fatter

The human body is designed to store any extra energy that is eaten (thousands of years ago when food was more difficult to come by this was an important for survival). As a result for every 3500 kcals that you eat but don't use during exercise or through just living (i.e. basal metabolic rate - energy used keeping you alive) you will put on 1lb of body fat.

While you are still young you will be fairly active and have a higher basal metabolic rate than adults. As you get older you will become less active and your basal metabolic rate will go down slightly.

The best way of getting into shape is to do a variety of different exercises (resistance and cardiovascular). No one should want to get 'fat' as being 'fat' is bad for your health. You won't get too much muscle unless you train specificaly to get muscles!!!

At your age, I wouldn't worry too much about how your weight as things will balance out as you get older. If you are overly worried go see a doctor or have a chat to your Mum & Dad.

so its ok to more than u can?

i have to admit i never liked sports

almost never do any exercices, but i wouldnt mind to start that

Originally posted by Enkil
so its ok to more than u can?
Not sure what that means :confused:
i have to admit i never liked sports

almost never do any exercices, but i wouldnt mind to start that
Perhaps its time for you to start exercising. Exercise will increase your appitite and give you a more 'normal' body shape and self image.

Originally posted by 2LAP

i eat more than i can
i mean when im finished eating, and i start to eat more even if i feel that im going to explode...

is it ok for my system to do that everyday?

You won't gain weight by simply eating more - take it from me. Seems to me like you have an ectomorph body type (usually tall, thin and active people like basketball players).
I also have an ectomorph body type so I lose weight easily. If I didn't do the right training program I could eat all day long and still stay skinny.
To gain weight, you will have to do squats and possibly some other exercises. Squats are the most important, though.
I was so skinny at school nobody would pick me out for the football team and girls used to call me "special branch." Needless to say, it was a problem for me. I solved the problem by squatting and it only took about 8 months for people to notice a huge change.
Much has to do with altering the metabolism and adjusting the body so weight gain becomes easier. It worries me a little, though, that you seek to gain fat since fat isn't at all efficient for your needs. What you need to do is to gain about 10 lbs of muscular bulk for your immediate needs.
In the old days, supersets were recommended: 1 set of squats, 20 reps followed by 1 set of light pullovers on the bench with a dumbell. 3 supersets twice a week was the norm. First you will need to complete an adjustment program to prepare yourself for intense exercise and also get a check-over by your doctor to say you're fit enough to start the routine. Don't just jump into it.
I very much doubt you'll be able to gain any quality weight simply by eating more food as it will probably just bypass your system. This has always been my experience.

Originally posted by 2LAP

i eat more than i can
i mean when im finished eating, and i start to eat more even if i feel that im going to explode...

is it ok for my system to do that everyday?

I'm going to be honest.

I am not underweight but i am trying to put on weight(Yes! I am trying to get fatter!:eek: ) I like the feel & shape of my own flubba to my muscular!!!:eek: I am willing to sacrifice my health. I try eating heaps of junk food (more than what my stomach can take) and feel my belly bursting & try to be as lazy as I can but I must know what else to put on weight and the consiquences of it.:)

Get married and start having kids. That'll fatten you up real quick:) Honestly, I had the same problem from the time I was 15 until 25, which is, coincidently, when I had my first kid. Due to the nature of my work, I was desperately trying to put on weight. That led me to weightlifting and taking in a lot of amino acids and protein shakes between meals. It took me about 3 years of this to put on 20 pounds. I am now nearly 34 years old and 50 pounds heavier than I was at 20, but at 5'9" and 185 pounds, I feel like I've found a weight that's healthy and comfortable, yet still allows me the strength to be active in several sports. The ironic part is that I haven't lifted a single weight in over 5 years and I feel terrific. I guess the moral of this story is - If you're patient and don't abuse your body, you will find that your body will tell you what weight you should be at.

jkanjo said:
I'm going to be honest.

I am not underweight but i am trying to put on weight(Yes! I am trying to get fatter!:eek: ) I like the feel & shape of my own flubba to my muscular!!!:eek: I am willing to sacrifice my health. I try eating heaps of junk food (more than what my stomach can take) and feel my belly bursting & try to be as lazy as I can but I must know what else to put on weight and the consiquences of it.:)
if you want to bulk out, then maybe you need to partake in some resistance workout, since your body would be more inclined to store some of what you eat for the next session,

also there is something known as the thermic effect of food, which consists of energy being used to digest food, plus if you are aeating and eating, more than likely alot of the food stuff that you are eating is being forced out undigested and pretty much a waste of food and energy.

you would be better working out your total calorie intake, adding a small amount to it so that your body gets the opertunity to digest and store the food opposed to you deficating it undigested. try chewwing your food into smaller pieces also so that you have better chance of digesting it. but yes if you continue eating the way you are, then maybe you would be best to invest in one or 2 T shirts that state WIDE LOAD on the back.

try whiping toilet paper on the muscle groups that you want to grow also, this technique has worked wonders on the wifes ****.:D