Trying to lose weight - what the heck do I eat?!?!

Kraig

Jun 8, 2011
Ok. I've never really cared about my weight or my health until recently. I sat upstairs playing Xbox and eating fried chicken (not good for the controller, btw) on my days off. Oh, and I was a smoker who couldn't spell exercise, much less do any.

So, in the last 2 months, I've quit smoking, started cycling 100+ miles a week, and started eating right. Atleast I thought I was eating right. I've cut out most of the meat, especially red meat. I do eat chicken and turkey, but lots of fruits, vegetables, beans, etc... Lots of fruit. A banana before a ride, a Clif bar after, then a tangerine for a snack. Last night I had a mango and peach for dinner. Now I'm doing research and finding out about all of the sugars and such in these fruits, and am wondering if I'm doing the right thing. Now I'm looking at Atkins, but I keep hearing carbs are important for energy when riding.

I'm not super fat. I'm 6' 1" with a medium build and weigh 220ish. When I went to the doctor earlier this year my bad cholesterol was high and my good was low. I'm taking fish oil and red yeast rice pills daily for those issues. I'm working on my portions more than anything, just trying to get the amount of food I eat down.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? I always thought Atkins was a meat and cheese diet, but looking at the site there seems to be a lot more to it. Anybody have Atkins experience? Or, should I just not worry about it, and now that I'm riding and not eating Starburst and fried chicken, everything will sort itself out?

Thanks for anything you can give!

Reactions: steve
Carbs are important in a normal diet, especially for one that supports a sport such as cycling.

Red meat is good. A great source of iron and not bad for protein too. Just stay away from the overly fatty cuts of meat. If you want burgers, get the "less than 5%" packets of ground beef and make them yourself 'n grill them at home. You're in Texas right? They have some nice cuts of beef in your neck of the woods - it'd be a shame to miss out.

In the whole scheme of things if you're a cyclist, it's just really about cutting out most of the junk, eating in moderation and riding more - use more calories during exercise than you eat. Set a goal around what you'd like to do on the bike, whether it's ride a race or do a challenging ride. With portion control you'll find that after a couple of weeks that you won't feel the need to eat as much but it does take a little while to not stuffing the plate.

When you're out on the bike take just enough with you to not "bonk" (ie run out of carbs and get the infamous lack of energy/dizzy feeling). You'll probably want to pig out when you get back home if you do and initially, this may be counter productive especially if you're not used to eating smaller portions and end up downing about 3,000 calories of whatever sweet stuff you can find in your house!

For me the key things about losing weight are:

1. Sleep - when I'm overly tired I snack more and don't sleep as well. A vicious circle of doom...
2. Ride more - I only ride the bike 4 times a week but those are 2+ hours hard each ride.
3. Food - Cut out most of the junk and eat smaller portions of what I like. I still have a small bowl of ice cream with my daughter every day though. Ain't giving that up ;)
4. Beer - nectar of the Gods but it packs in the calories, does weird things with your metabolism and messes up my breathing.

So that's what that is when I reach the top of my Mount Everest (the tallest, most obnoxious hill in my area that I hate with a passion but ride up every day) and feel like I'm about to fall off of my bike! It's only happened twice, but both times I've had to turn around early and ride 10 miles home feeling like ****. I'll have to pack something for that.
Thanks for the words, there, Swampy. Yes, I'm in Texas, and yes, we've got some darn good meat. I've always been a fan of the fat on a steak, and I think that's what I miss the most about red meat. So we'll be cutting that out, for sure. And I do enjoy a good burger.
Well that definitely gives me something to work with. It was just really discouraging finding out that what I thought was the perfect diet wasn't so perfect after all. But now I've got a steak to look forward to, so my day's already a little brighter! Now if the 30mph wind would just stop for a few hours so I can get in a decent ride!

A hammers fan in Texas. I'm sure there's a story behind that. West Ham, Big Sam - now that he's incharge you might actually win a game ;) I remember 20,000 United fans on the Stretford End shouting "poodle" at Frank McAvennie classic perm every time the Hammers visited. Them were t' days when men were men and sheep were very, very scared. Good times.

Probably the easiest way to get carbs in you on the bike is via a drink. For rides under two hours I like Hammer HEED. Long chain carbs and electrolytes. No high fructose corn syrup. The taste is very mild too, which is good because as you get hotter and more tired your sense of taste does seem to become a little enhanced, so what was "normal" when you mixed it might be a little overpowering 90 minutes into a ride.

My story:

Year ago, 288lbs, bought bike, ride every day, every day. 12,002 last year! Cut food intake in half. Still
eat much the same things, but, No sodas, no candy, no deserts. Drink Walmart clear lime water or
O calorie mixes, grape, lemonade.

Ride early, fifty to eighty miles, take raisins for snack along the rode. Nice breakfast, today bacon,
blackberry pancake, one, OJ, peaches, coffee. Some times, bacon, eggs, hash browns, not store
bought, fresh grated. light lunch, ham, turkey sandwich, chips, pickle, jello, sugar free.
Nice dinner, early, at least three hours before bed time. NO SNACKS! NO SNACKS!

Today, 218lbs and I feel thirty years younger!

All you need to do is eat less and work more! And:

NO SNACKS!

BTW, too much fruit is bad, too much of any thing is bad.
If you just got'a have some thing, celery or a carrot!
Watch your salt, but don't cut it out all together, you need
some to keep going! There is nothing wrong with meat,
just don't over do it. One burger, thin, well done patty,
with all the trimmings is a good meal. Tots are better
than fries. Onion rings are even better. NOT a bag
full! Eat half a small order and give the others to
some one... I can't waste things.

Swampy, wouldn't that be friggin awesome? A good season at the Boleyn Ground? It's been awhile... However, I don't think we have the players to make it happen - this season... Hopefully Sam will help them grow a little and improve their long game...

Anyways, I'll check out the Hammer HEED (I like the name!). Can you buy that in any stores or is it online only? Got a flavor you recommend? I've been using the G2 Fruit Punch powder and I like it alright. It's kept me going so far, with no complaints.

BHOFM - great write up! I'm definitely cutting the intake down... trying for a half... definitely no sweets... I just really miss my Starburst, but I'll live... One burger? It's been awhile since I've done that. Just reading this is making me hungry. But it's really good to know that I don't have to eat like my wife (vegetarian). It's just funny that you sound like you know me - "NOT a bag full!".

Thanks for taking the time to give some advice guys. This really just gives me some real life guidelines I can try to follow. NO SNACKS!

Eek, wait a sec. Snacks are perfectly fine. You just have to watch what you're eating. For example, a bowl of plain oatmeal with fresh blueberries is fine for a snack. A bag of chips is not. My personal trainer encourages snacking in between meals to keep my metabolism up, & to keep me from getting too hungry in between meals. When my belly is empty, it makes me opt for heavier & usually more unhealthy options for my next meal. For example, I usually have 2 boiled eggwhites, a piece of light string cheese, and a banana for breakfast. If I have that bowl of oatmeal or a small bag of light popcorn midmorning, I'll be apt to choose a healthier option like a salad for lunch, instead of a big sandwich I'd choose if I was hungrier. Does that make sense? I typically get about 1400 calories a day, & that's spread out pretty evenly throughout the day with a big workout in the evenings.

Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin .

Eek, wait a sec. Snacks are perfectly fine. You just have to watch what you're eating. For example, a bowl of plain oatmeal with fresh blueberries is fine for a snack. A bag of chips is not. My personal trainer encourages snacking in between meals to keep my metabolism up, & to keep me from getting too hungry in between meals. When my belly is empty, it makes me opt for heavier & usually more unhealthy options for my next meal. For example, I usually have 2 boiled eggwhites, a piece of light string cheese, and a banana for breakfast. If I have that bowl of oatmeal or a small bag of light popcorn midmorning, I'll be apt to choose a healthier option like a salad for lunch, instead of a big sandwich I'd choose if I was hungrier. Does that make sense? I typically get about 1400 calories a day, & that's spread out pretty evenly throughout the day with a big workout in the evenings.
I agree, if you have to have a "snack", eat some food, not a "snack" type product! Twinkies bad, carrots good!
I grab a cheese and cracker now and then, just one! Or my favorite, dill pickle.

I have ridden eight miles to the bike shop to get a peppermint candy, one, and then ridden home!

I'd avoid the Atkins. It's a way to lose weight quickly, but develops a lot of bad habits along the way, is hard to stick to, and is a risk to the heart and makes your breath smell bad. I don't know anyone who succeeded with Atkins out of the dozens i've seen try it over the years. Matter of fact, some got fatter due to breaking the mechanisms in play during the ketosis process. Ketosis can help you 'trick' your body into losing weight but it's not a lifestyle you can live by for the rest of your life. My cat had ketosis after acquiring diabetes, a memory which personally made me completely uninterested in forcing it upon myself. Just my opinion.

One of my favorite health authors is Dr. Joel Fuhrman, famous for his book "Eat to Live" and his new one "Eating for Health". It's about 100% opposite of the Atkins diet, but is amazing in it's hardcore application of common sense. You basically 'reprogram' yourself to accept and enjoy healthy food, while at the same time, severing the attraction to junk food. It's worth a read, and you can get it for a couple bucks on the used market. I lost 40 pounds, cleared up my skin (psoriasis), reduced inflammations in my long-injured knees, had more energy than ever the entire time, and apply it to my daily eating habits to this day. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be riding today had I not read Eat to Live.

Also, time your intake if youre riding for exercise. Ride/exercise in the morning. Don't load up on calories right before and after your ride, or your body will use the food as fuel instead of body fat. Ride on as little calories as you can, and wait 30 minutes to 1 hour after riding before eating--your metablolism will stay up from the ride and you'll burn fat even faster. Drink LOTS of water during your exercise or you will get lightheaded, especially if your body is burning fat.

* This is what works for me, but everyone is different and results definitely vary. I don't consider my take right or wrong, it just works for me.

I'd avoid the Atkins.
I don't think a pickle or two a week will kill me, if so then, so be it!
One thing I have changed is to eat every thing in moderation.

I only eat Mount Olive pickles BTW! We get them by the gallon which
lasts several months with two of us eating them.

"Have any suggestions?"

This question reminds me of the scene in Old School when Wilson gets in the cab at the airport, asks it of the dirver, and,
of the driver's response.

I've been riding to excess for years.

For several reasons, if you're exercising regualrly, it becomes exceedingly difficult to eat so much, or, so poorly,
that you gain very much weight. Either your brain will make you stop exercising, or, your body will make you stop eating.

The other concern is that your performance will suffer. Performance is a function of what, rather than how much, you eat.

Performance is a function of eating the right foods at the right time.
Start off by reading nutrition labels and trying to comply with the RDAs.

Then, carbo load in anticipation of long events and make sure to get extra, useable, protien immediately after.

That's most of it.

Originally Posted by Kraig .

Swampy, wouldn't that be friggin awesome? A good season at the Boleyn Ground? It's been awhile... However, I don't think we have the players to make it happen - this season... Hopefully Sam will help them grow a little and improve their long game...

Anyways, I'll check out the Hammer HEED (I like the name!). Can you buy that in any stores or is it online only? Got a flavor you recommend? I've been using the G2 Fruit Punch powder and I like it alright. It's kept me going so far, with no complaints.

BHOFM - great write up! I'm definitely cutting the intake down... trying for a half... definitely no sweets... I just really miss my Starburst, but I'll live... One burger? It's been awhile since I've done that. Just reading this is making me hungry. But it's really good to know that I don't have to eat like my wife (vegetarian). It's just funny that you sound like you know me - "NOT a bag full!".

Thanks for taking the time to give some advice guys. This really just gives me some real life guidelines I can try to follow. [SIZE= 26px]NO SNACKS![/SIZE]
Boleyn Ground? Since when did they ghey up the name - that place was always called Upton Park when I was a kid... Never really a fun place to visit but miles more friendly than Milwall and The Den. Fark... I hated having to go there.

There are some stores that carry it, most Hammer dealers do - check the dealer locator. The lemon/lime is ace.

It is all about moderation - but then again it really isn't. Take what you like - say burgers. If you make them yourself and grill 'em then instead of getting the regular ground beef with 20% fat then get 1/2 the amount of 5% ground sirloin, seer either side to keep the juices in and slow cook. Make it a little bigger but not twice the size ;) The end result - a tastier burger, less fat and more flavour. Win, win... and since you know what it's made from you know it's not ground chihuahua testicles and cows ears.

I weigh about the same as when I was a youth. It helps to be poor, I find, to avoid heavy meals.

Tending to live more on peanut butter and whole wheat, and not many restaurant meals
(though I splurged and ate a yummy $3.00 McDonald's dollar menu meal last night).

I like to drink a great deal of water. Am fifty seven now, and have not had a heart attack yet,
a sort-of family record. : ) Weight today: 147lb on a five-nine and 1/2" frame, slender built.

------------------------

I learned for myself, long ago, when I let myself gain some excess (non-muscle weight),
once you have built "fat cells", they are always there. You can "deflate" them by dieting (not easy!),
but, the moment you eat an excess-calorie meal, the little fat cells eagerly "refill", for they are there to save you from famine, they "think".
These cells, when "starved", seem to put out hunger signals impossible, nearly, to resist. So, we find, that if we've never been overweight (lucky me),
it is easy to "resist" becoming fat. And if you have been, instead, way-overweight in your life, you have a lifetime monkey on your hips, so to speak.
So, people with weight "problems" are never to be criticized. Remember the old rhyme about Jack Spratt? To be thin is not anything to boast about,
and to be fat, is not a shame, but only a detriment, perhaps, to your self esteem and long-term health. Thin people also die, sometimes rather young!

I remember Natalie Allemang, a live-in friend of my non-exercising, Georgia-born maternal grandmother.
Alle was cool. She was heavy, she and I loved to indulge in ice cream. We would smoke an occasional cigarette together, conspirators. ")
Alle lived well into her nineties. She never exercised a day in her life. Neither did my grandmother, who did not smoke, but only ate sausage and eggs, fried, daily.

go figure.

Bomb protein, cut out any quick carbs-sugar can kill weight loss attempts. Coconut oil for any cooking is great because the saturated fat is all MCT which is like fat rocket fuel. It stimulates your body to burn fat. If your cutting calories take BCAAs, about 5G should do the trick. That helps prevent muscle loss. The key is to keep blood sugar levels steady. Spikes in insulin cause weight gain. So stay away from anything white or sweet. Fruit is ok, but choose lower glycemic index fruits. Cinnamon on fruit will help control insulin reaction. Also chromium supplements help...or just get brewers yeast and have a serving of that: 5g fiber, 16g protein, 140% of DV of chromium. 116 calories for 3 tbs of the flakes. Usually I put a tbs on my eggs and make an omelette. Eggs are always a solid morning breakfast. I usually make an egg wrap with a low carb flatbread and spinach (my ferritin is always low). I love sweet potatoes for lunch-fills me up. High intensity interval training helps too. Granted I have never really tried to lose weight st all. I just stay trim now. Here is a link to my blog too: http://howtorunfree.com in my last post I had some stuff on a few "superfoods" namely maca which can help control hormones (meaning better sleep, less stress, less cravings, etc.)

Understand, I met Natalie (Alle) in 1968, when she was...only...seventy five.

I was only fourteen. "Alle? Aren't you afraid to die of being too heavy?"

"Pshaw. Both my parents lived into their early nineties. So will I."

And so she did, without fuss, bother, pain. And then she had had enough, and quit.

Wow... lots of replies... and lots to take in. The hardest thing to do is not to take what I like from each post and then put them together! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by cloudhead .

I'd avoid the Atkins. It's a way to lose weight quickly, but develops a lot of bad habits along the way, is hard to stick to, and is a risk to the heart and makes your breath smell bad.,,

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be riding today had I not read Eat to Live.

Also, time your intake if youre riding for exercise. Ride/exercise in the morning. Don't load up on calories right before and after your ride, or your body will use the food as fuel instead of body fat. Ride on as little calories as you can, and wait 30 minutes to 1 hour after riding before eating--your metablolism will stay up from the ride and you'll burn fat even faster. Drink LOTS of water during your exercise or you will get lightheaded, especially if your body is burning fat.
Yeah, I can't really do Atkins due to the fact that I have a pretty big heart murmer to begin with. I'll definitely check out that book. Probably pick it up on Amazon today. As for the food before and after the ride, I never thought of that. I usually start riding within 30 minutes of waking up (5:00am), and as soon as I get my shorts on I drink a bottle of water and have a banana while I fill my water bottles. Directly after the ride, maybe after a shower and am going to work, I'll have a Clif bar, another water and maybe another banana. I should probably cut out that last banana. I carry 2 25oz bottles, 1 with Gatorade and 1 with water. Both are usually gone after my 30 mile ride.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Boleyn Ground? Since when did they ghey up the name - that place was always called Upton Park when I was a kid...

It is all about moderation - but then again it really isn't. Take what you like - say burgers. If you make them yourself and grill 'em then instead of getting the regular ground beef with 20% fat then get 1/2 the amount of 5% ground sirloin, seer either side to keep the juices in and slow cook. Make it a little bigger but not twice the size ;) The end result - a tastier burger, less fat and more flavour. Win, win... and since you know what it's made from you know it's not ground chihuahua testicles and cows ears.
Went and bought the 95/5 ground chuck last night. Made four 1/4lb burgers instead of two 1/2lb burgers. Tried to only eat one, but it's been so long!!! I had two. And tater tots. But not a lot. Then watched my wife eat cheesecake and ice cream. Grrr...

It's still Upton Park, but the official name has always been Boleyn. I like and use them both. I keep saying I'm going to take a trip over there to watch some football, but the wife wants to go, and I know that will keep me away from the park. Plus, with her it's a $5k trip. I'm a Hammers fan and all, but I only manage a Geek Squad, so the Fox Soccer Channel will have to do.

Originally Posted by Ach111es .

High intensity interval training helps too. Granted I have never really tried to lose weight st all. I just stay trim now.
That was a lot on info to process in that post. I like the Coconut oil idea. I have never been heavy until the last few years... since I met my wife, actually. Prior to that I was a bar owner with a drug problem, so weight was never an issue. I keep wanting to try the HIIT, but honestly, my first five miles on the bike are pretty rough, then after I warm up I'm ok to ride another 20 or 30, but that takes everything I've got. I can't imagine trying to do sprints during my ride.

Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin .

I always forget about oatmeal! I really do like it, I just never think to eat it. I eat the Quaker Fruit & Cream, which has the same calorie count as plain oatmeal. But you're right... if I get too hungry I eat too much. I have no idea how many calories I consume in a day. I know it's drastically decreased in the last month. Hell, on my weekends I used to eat 14 pieces of fried chicken and play Xbox... I haven't touched a fried anything since I got on the bike.

What I'm having trouble figuring out is how many calories I'm actually burning when I'm out riding. Is there anyway to calculate this? Shoot, I'd be happy with a ballpark figure.

I'd be happy with a ballpark figure.
35 calories per 100lbs per mile at 10mph! Wind and grade not figured.

This is a very rough ballpark figure. My cycle computer shows a little less than this.

My trainer has me using www.myfitnesspal.com (also, if you have a smartphone, there's probably an app). You can log what you eat & log your exercise & how much you burn. It's really an awesome tool. I've been using it for 6 months.

And, don't skip that second banana :). Whenever I've worked out exceptionally hard my trainer says to eat a banana to avoid cramping.

I like to mix up my workouts. Some days I'll ride, maybe an hour or so on weeknights. If I know one of my favorite shows will airing or if there is a bike race on TV I'll watch it while on the stationary. Other days I'll jog, maybe start with a brisk walk for a mile, then I'll jog 4 and walk another mile. I only jog a few times a week because it is high impact. I've been hiking, mountain biking and canoeing a lot during the weekends. If you are like me and hate going to the gym you can do some push-ups, crunches etc... Point is, whenever I've unsuccesfully tried to loose weight in the past it is because working out became monotnous, and felt like a chore, which is why I like cycling. It is a fun workout. For me, anything to keep me active and the workouts enjoyable, but I also take days off and just go on short walks once a week.

Diet is quite simple. I don't starve myself of calories. I try to limit my fat calories, but not to the point where I suffer from "rabbit starvation" and the body starts using muscle for energy. I eat a fair amount of protein (eggs, poultry, beans, nuts, yogurt, red meat, spinach, oatmeal, are a large part of my diet). No beverages with empty calories or a lot of carbs unless I'm going to do a more intense workout. Of course we are all human. Splurging on some comfort food is OK, as long as it isn't every day. For snacks I stick with fresh fruit and vegetables, but I may have had a fun size snickers bar today....

This is just what works for me.