Trying to replace 700C Carrera tires

Alex

Guest
Hi,

I am new to the group and bike maintenance.

My wife rides an older touring bike with Michelin tires marked "700c
Carrera". They are also marked "28-622". I went to my LBS, purchased a
pair of "Continental Ultra Sport 700 x 28 Wire Tire" tires thinking
they would fit perfectly. They did not. They seemed way too small to
fit around the rim. I tried but could not get them onto the rim. I have
checked Sheldon Brown's website but am still not certain what tire size
is required.

I'm pretty sure her rims are "Straight-side (SS) rims". Am I missing
something?

I have changed tires/tubes before on modern mountain bikes but never on
older touring bikes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alex wrote:
> My wife rides an older touring bike with Michelin tires marked "700c
> Carrera". They are also marked "28-622". I went to my LBS, purchased a
> pair of "Continental Ultra Sport 700 x 28 Wire Tire" tires thinking
> they would fit perfectly. They did not. They seemed way too small to
> fit around the rim. I tried but could not get them onto the rim.

You have the correct size tires. Some tire / rim combinations can be
hard to mount, especially when the tire is new.

There are techniques for making it easier. Get one bead on all the way
around. Then install the tube, and put in enough air so that it takes
shape. Start mounting the second bead at the valve. Push the valve in
to make sure it's not caught between the tire and rim. Work the second
bead around unitil it's almost all on. The last section, 180 degees
from the valve, is the toughest. On the part that's already on, squeeze
the tire beads together and force them into the center rim channel. Now
especially, you want some air in the tube to keep it from getting
pinched. Think positive and slowly work the last bit on. If necessary,
use a tire lever, but if not careful, you'll pinch the tube and cause a
flat.

Another trick is to put some talc on the tire bead to help it slide
over the rim.

> I'm pretty sure her rims are "Straight-side (SS) rims". Am I missing
> something?

You should be able to tell if the rim (where it grips the tire bead) is
flat or has a hook shape. If it's the older straight type, only use
wire bead tires, and don't overdo the pressure.

Good luck.

Art Harris

On 16 Aug 2006 08:18:34 -0700, "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My wife rides an older touring bike with Michelin tires marked "700c
>Carrera". They are also marked "28-622". I went to my LBS, purchased a
>pair of "Continental Ultra Sport 700 x 28 Wire Tire" tires thinking
>they would fit perfectly. They did not. They seemed way too small to
>fit around the rim. I tried but could not get them onto the rim. I have
>checked Sheldon Brown's website but am still not certain what tire size
>is required.
>
>I'm pretty sure her rims are "Straight-side (SS) rims". Am I missing
>something?

Continentals are frequently tighter than any other manufacturer's
tires. Of course, if you don't have hooked rims, that might be a good
thing.

Pat

Email address works as is.