Trying to select the right one

G Cook

Jun 12, 2004
I have been studying and reading a lot. I think I want a lwb. I have been looking at on line and brocures of Rans V2, Rans Stratus and Ez Sports limited. I think these are the bikes in my price range or close to it. It is a 3 hr drive to go to shops for test riding. Do the bike shops let you go for a long ride or just in the parking lots? I have been a upright bike rider for 30 years but have been having lots of shoulder and neck pains this year since. Ant help would be appreciated. Thanks

Originally posted by G Cook
I have been studying and reading a lot. I think I want a lwb. I have been looking at on line and brocures of Rans V2, Rans Stratus and Ez Sports limited. I think these are the bikes in my price range or close to it. It is a 3 hr drive to go to shops for test riding. Do the bike shops let you go for a long ride or just in the parking lots? I have been a upright bike rider for 30 years but have been having lots of shoulder and neck pains this year since. Ant help would be appreciated. Thanks

I live in Northern Illinois. At my LBS when a new customer comes in to try out a new Bent the owner will usually ask for his or hers driver license. They are than able to ride for for a 1/2 hr or hour. His shop is alos on a riverfront bikepath. If your are looking for a couple of options in lwb Bents the Rans Status or the Easy Racer Tour Easy are the first choices in my book. I have a TE and two weeks ago received my TI Rush. My riding partner upgraded from a Rans Tailwind to a Status and he is very impressed. There are other god choices out there in Bent land but you can't beat the B4 mentioned Bents. The Status starts in price aroung $1700 and the TE about $2000 but you would want the upgraded version that would cost about $2200. Good Luck and welcome to the Bent Club. You will totally enjoy the transformation from Diamond frames. Dr. Duk

Originally posted by Dr. Duk
I live in Northern Illinois. At my LBS when a new customer comes in to try out a new Bent the owner will usually ask for his or hers driver license. They are than able to ride for for a 1/2 hr or hour. His shop is alos on a riverfront bikepath. If your are looking for a couple of options in lwb Bents the Rans Status or the Easy Racer Tour Easy are the first choices in my book. I have a TE and two weeks ago received my TI Rush. My riding partner upgraded from a Rans Tailwind to a Status and he is very impressed. There are other god choices out there in Bent land but you can't beat the B4 mentioned Bents. The Status starts in price aroung $1700 and the TE about $2000 but you would want the upgraded version that would cost about $2200. Good Luck and welcome to the Bent Club. You will totally enjoy the transformation from Diamond frames. Dr. Duk

Originally posted by G Cook
Do the bike shops let you go for a long ride or just in the parking lots?

I would call ahead and chat about the bikes/frame sizes they have in stock and maybe set an informal appointment for your test ride(s). If you have the flexibility, you might want to ask the shop if they have some times when they are typically not very busy and choose one of those times.

I don't think that any shop would object to a 1/2-1 hour test ride by a serious shopper. Ask them for best routes, etc. Don't forget to take your helmet. If you want to try out clipless pedals, take those plus shoes.

Incidentally, I'd go in with an open mind on which kind of bent you want. I was originally convinced that I wanted a RANS V2 and ended up with a VREX after riding them both. I would at least try one SWB just to see how they feel.

Thaks for the replys. Guess I will have to drive over there to do some riding. I will try a swb just to see. It is quite a quandry trying to decide. I am also looking on ebay and on line clasified to see if I can get a used bike. Ther is a lot to choose from.

Thanks again for the replys and spreding your knowledge. I may be screwing up this posting thing. first time doing it.

G Cook said:
Thaks for the replys. Guess I will have to drive over there to do some riding. I will try a swb just to see. It is quite a quandry trying to decide. I am also looking on ebay and on line clasified to see if I can get a used bike. Ther is a lot to choose from.

Thanks again for the replys and spreding your knowledge. I may be screwing up this posting thing. first time doing it.

Take a look at this bike at http://www.ransbikes.com/ITRFusionEvolution.htm

Mabe you like it? I really want it badly :D

Tom

I am not sure if I have selected the final bent that I will have but I jumped into it and purchased a Bacchetta Giro. I am very pleased with it so far. I still want to chack out a Rans V2 someday when the lbs has one in stock. It is quite different for a df to get used to but I am getting the hang on it as I go along. I am really enjoying the different view for the seat. I see a lot more of the area around me. Hills are a challenge and keeping it going straight is also a challenge. After about 30 mile on the bike it is getting a lot better. I am still riding on roads with big bike lanes and where almost no cars go but am sure I will be riding everywhere soon. I don't want to swerver out in traffic and get run over by a logging truck. It just takes time. Right now I am about 2 mph slower average than the road bike, but the comfort is definettly offsetting the speed. I am sure my speed will pick up some as I get more comfortable. I almost allwyas ride by myself so it really isn't a big deal.

www.oregoncoastcyclingfestival.com

Hills are a challenge and keeping it going straight is also a challenge. After about 30 mile on the bike it is getting a lot better. I am still riding on roads with big bike lanes and where almost no cars go but am sure I will be riding everywhere soon. I don't want to swerver out in traffic and get run over by a logging truck. It just takes time. Right now I am about 2 mph slower average than the road bike, but the comfort is definettly offsetting the speed.

If you're having trouble going straight you're pulling on the handlebars. Rest your hands lightly on the grips and push your back into the seat. You stear a bent by shifting weight from side to side, not turning the bars. Fly it, don't stear it.

Give yourself 500 miles or so to learn how to ride it. Uses different muscles and different technique. The more you learn to lean your seat back, the faster you will go.

Steve