trying to understand tnf-alpha

A

anita1766

I am sure it is a very involved subject. But could anyone in layperson terms explain what the role
of TNF-alpha is ?

tumor necrosis factor: From what I understand many kinds of cells in the bosy produce the cytokine,
TNF-alpha and its effects are what we see as the inflammatory symptoms.

TNF alpha is supposed to cause tumor necrosis, killing cancer cells. So why is it that I have been
reading about so many anti-cancer drugs that aim to SUPPRESS TNF alpha ? Isnt it a part of the
body's defense against the cancer ? So what is point in suppressing it ?

I'd appreciate any insight into this, or links so I can go through it myself. All my searches have
failed to explain this question - perhaps it is obvious to someone who is knowledgable of medicine.

Thanks Anita

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 04:52:28 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>I am sure it is a very involved subject. But could anyone in layperson terms explain what the role
>of TNF-alpha is ?
>
>tumor necrosis factor: From what I understand many kinds of cells in the bosy produce the cytokine,
>TNF-alpha and its effects are what we see as the inflammatory symptoms.
>
>TNF alpha is supposed to cause tumor necrosis, killing cancer cells. So why is it that I have been
>reading about so many anti-cancer drugs that aim to SUPPRESS TNF alpha ? Isnt it a part of the
>body's defense against the cancer ? So what is point in suppressing it ?
>
>I'd appreciate any insight into this, or links so I can go through it myself. All my searches have
>failed to explain this question - perhaps it is obvious to someone who is knowledgable of medicine.
>
>Thanks Anita

I suggest this is because there is an inverse relationship between tnf and DHEA. When DHEA is high,
tnf is low. It is the loss of DHEA that may result in cancer. When something is done that increases
DHEA or allows low DHEA to be more active, then tnf goes down. That may be why "so many anti-cancer
drugs ... aim to suppress tnf." The scientists simply have not made the connection of low DHEA being
a cause of cancer. (I invite you to read "How Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) May Cause Breast
Cancer" at www.anthropogeny.com/research.html .)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:gyiWb.9541$%[email protected]...
> I am sure it is a very involved subject. But could anyone in layperson
terms
> explain what the role of TNF-alpha is ?
>
> tumor necrosis factor: From what I understand many kinds of cells in the bosy produce the
cytokine,
> TNF-alpha and its effects are what we see as the inflammatory symptoms.
>
> TNF alpha is supposed to cause tumor necrosis, killing cancer cells. So
why
> is it that I have been reading about so many anti-cancer drugs that aim to SUPPRESS TNF alpha ?
> Isnt it a part of the body's defense against the
cancer
> ? So what is point in suppressing it ?
>
> I'd appreciate any insight into this, or links so I can go through it myself. All my searches have
> failed to explain this question - perhaps it is
obvious
> to someone who is knowledgable of medicine.
>
> Thanks Anita

You may be able to find some helpful info by exploring here.

http://www.copewithcytokines.de/cope.cgi?9404

Jack N Dalton