Trying to work out my Lactate Threshold

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by jjjtttggg, Jun 14, 2005.

1. woodgab

woodgab New Member

To clarify, Joe Friel goes one step further than seems to have been mentioned in this thread when calculating LT based upon a 30min TT (8-10+ miles). The 3rd edition of his training bible provides a set of factors upon which to divide HR. The factor for the HR measured over the last 20 minutes of the 30 minute TT is 1.05. He goes on to say the cyclist should be "highly motivated" (ie race) to use this value. Adjacent it, is listed a divisor of 1.01 if the effort was under "workout" conditions.

This thread has been a good read. I'll go back to lurking and weighing the economics of HRM's vs power meters.

Chris

2. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

The 30 min TT test (pg. 63) and the 8 - 10 mile test (pg. 40) are two different tests. It may take some people 1/2 hour to cover 8 miles (like me ;) ) but the criterion for the two tests are different.

Here you're mixing tests. There is no divisor for the standard 30 minute test (pg. 63) done under non-race conditions.

On page 60 he states "If you compete in a TT as a race, take 5% of your average HR and add it to your estimated LT." I don't know why he says to do that as it would skew the LTHR value even higher. I'm guessing that he means to add 5% of your race TT average over the entire 30 minutes to your 30 minute time and not to your last 20 minutes. Because the last 20 minutes are going to be the highest anyway and under race conditions one is going to be more motivated. Adding 5% on top of the last 20 minutes under a highly motivated race condition is going to yeild a much higher LTHR value.