    after 3 laps, but I'm breathing heavy and my lungs feel like they're
    working at 10% capacity. It feels the way it feels when my lungs have
    closed up from an allergy attack, which I have experienced from dust
    mites (don't think that dust mites are the problem at an outside
    track). It was neither too warm nor too cold. I do not smoke and I am
    not overweight. Does anyone know what condition these symptoms would
    suggest? Is there a medicine I can take before running to prevent this?

    Tags:

  2. On 2006-04-09, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I need to pass a physical test for a job, it involves running a mile
    > and a half quickly. I've been working at it for a few weeks but I
    > continue to have the same problem. I get around the track 3 or 4 times
    > them my lungs start to close up, I would expect to be breathing heavy
    > after 3 laps, but I'm breathing heavy and my lungs feel like they're
    > working at 10% capacity. It feels the way it feels when my lungs have
    > closed up from an allergy attack, which I have experienced from dust
    > mites (don't think that dust mites are the problem at an outside
    > track). It was neither too warm nor too cold. I do not smoke and I am
    > not overweight. Does anyone know what condition these symptoms would
    > suggest?
    > Is there a medicine I can take before running to prevent this?

    It could be something else but it just sounds like a lack of aerobic fitness
    that could be "prevented" by some more training, and for that matter,
    more effective training.

    When is the test ? You're not going to get very far (literally and
    figuratively) by doing a hard 1 mile run every night. Instead,

    (a) run longer -- cover at least 3 miles each run, even if this means you have to stop
    for breaks,
    (b) run slower -- about 1 minute per lap slower than what you're doing now.

    Do a 1.5 mile test run twice a week to see how you're going. Pace yourself properly
    so that you actually finish the run. When you do this test run, jog 4 laps for warmup
    before the run and 4 laps after the run as a cool down.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  3. On 9 Apr 2006 15:54:56 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    >I need to pass a physical test for a job, it involves running a mile
    >and a half quickly.

    Nobody help him, he wants to be a PIG!