TSS calclation

jetnjeff

Mar 17, 2006
I was putting number to the TSS formula from the Training and Racing with a Power Meter book. But I get a 1.xx number I seem to be off a factor of 100.

Formula
TSS=(s * W * IF)/(FTP * 3600)

s=duration in seconds
W=Normlized power
IF=Itensity factor
3600 seconds = 1 hour

The numbers I used were one hour at 221(this atheletes FTP) at a TT IF of 1.0. I was expecting 100, but notice that number would cancel out to 1.00

(3600*221*1.00)/(221*3600) = 1.00

I tried to find an expaination in the TSS section of the book. I briefly had time and did not find anything. Is the Factor of 100 just suposed to be understood or am I missing something?

Jeff

jetnjeff said:
Thanks for the comfirmation, I thought so.
IIRC, Andy has previously acknowledged this as an error in the book to be corrected in any future edition.

In summary: TSS = IF x #hrs x 100

Your mothers off by 100 :)...guess who?

jetnjeff said:
I was putting number to the TSS formula from the Training and Racing with a Power Meter book. But I get a 1.xx number I seem to be off a factor of 100.

Formula
TSS=(s * W * IF)/(FTP * 3600)

s=duration in seconds
W=Normlized power
IF=Itensity factor
3600 seconds = 1 hour

The numbers I used were one hour at 221(this atheletes FTP) at a TT IF of 1.0. I was expecting 100, but notice that number would cancel out to 1.00

(3600*221*1.00)/(221*3600) = 1.00

I tried to find an expaination in the TSS section of the book. I briefly had time and did not find anything. Is the Factor of 100 just suposed to be understood or am I missing something?

Jeff

IIRC, Andy has previously acknowledged this as an error in the book to be corrected in any future edition.

In summary: TSS = IF x #hrs x 100
I tried searcing the forum for TSS, but the search engine did not like the string and said:
"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : TSS"

So I thought I would ask Thanks again.
Alex Simmons said:
Oops, yep sorry I missed the square.:eek:
Not in the book either.

The link Rapdaddyo suplied dose not mention Squaring the IF either?

guess who?
High Barry.