TT Conversion

little_chicken

Apr 13, 2004
I am currently converting a pure road bike (Mag Alloy Litech) in a TT race bike for my duathlon and here is the problem, beside all the angle issue which I don't really care for. I am currently using profile clip-ons and have allready lowered my stem to the lowest position posible. Unfortunately the drop between my saddle and the top of my arm rests is approx 6cm and I am looking for 8-10. Is there any system out there that would allow me to drop my arm rests at least to the stem level ? looks like Cinelli angel appears to achieve that ?? any real life exp... any other system available ..??

Many thks

little_chicken said:
I am currently converting a pure road bike (Mag Alloy Litech) in a TT race bike for my duathlon and here is the problem, beside all the angle issue which I don't really care for. I am currently using profile clip-ons and have allready lowered my stem to the lowest position posible. Unfortunately the drop between my saddle and the top of my arm rests is approx 6cm and I am looking for 8-10. Is there any system out there that would allow me to drop my arm rests at least to the stem level ? looks like Cinelli angel appears to achieve that ?? any real life exp... any other system available ..??

Many thks

You don't care for the angle issue? What's that mean? It's the most important part of the equation for a good fit. If you don't care about that, then re: the other issue, use a steeply inclined stem and just flip it over whether it's intended to be used that way or not. You should be able to find something in the +20 degree range or more, which means you'll be -7 below flat, and pretty darn low. You can also use different clip ons where the bars are below your road bars, and the arm pads are minimally above that. Ought to drop you another couple cms. After that, it's going to take some wacky stuff to get lower. For example, if you are using low-stack pedals, you could switch to Looks which have a cm more of stack height than say Time Impacts. That raises your rear, which accomplishes the same thing. Worst idea would be to shave some material off the head tube (assuming it sticks above the top tube enough) to get the whole front end lower.

Good luck.

Thks for the reply Aztec .. what I meant about the angle was specifically aimed at the saddle one (73-74 vs 76-78) .. I am more comfortable in a std road position and don't want to play with a forward position. I tried having the saddle forward and don't like what it does to the bike.

When is the duathlon????

Because unless you get to actually train for a few MONTHS in the new TT position you want, you will actually be faster just using the clip-ons on your standard set-up, and in reality probably faster just riding in the drops .......

The reason being, a true TT position requires a slightly different muscle group to ride with, and if you only get a few rides in the "new" position you are looking for, it will not be enough time for that new muscle group to acclimatize.

Been there, done that. Trust experience over textbook "form" that the pros use to be fast. They train in that position a lot to keep ready for longer tour TT's.

Daremo .. you are absolutely right .. I am actualy preparing my shopping-modification list for next year and will spend many hours (winter) adjusting to this more aggressive position while ridding on my trainer, the additionnal 4 cm drop will be hard on my lower back and muscle grp. I got my new frame a month ago, my next race is in 3 wks. So 7 wks considering I almost have the same setup will probably be OK since I am curretly ridding at the same speed as before and my position is slightly less aggressive, not that fast (avg 35 km on flats after t1) .. but hey .. I am doing my best ..