TT pacing - suffering all the way?

koger

Apr 5, 2005
Hello

I've just read an interview with Gustav-Erik Larsson (2. in the Olympics TT) where he says that suffered hard from 100m and the rest of the route. To me that sounds like bad pacing, but I'm quite sure he and his coaches knows a lot more than me about performing a perfect time trial.
The pacing strategy as I understood is mostly recommended here is that you should try to keep your power output at a more or less constant level throughout the entire race.
What do you think, is this perhaps not the best method anyway?

Never tell the media/public the truth, because they won't get it anyway. Better to tell them what they want to hear and let them write what they wanted to.

I have a hard time believing that that guy was really suffering 100 meters into a TT. :rolleyes:

Spunout said:
These guys go hard. He who suffers the most probably wins.
He who suffers the latest probably wins. ;) Besides, there's really no suffering in cycling or we wouldn't be doing it. :)

frenchyge said:
I have a hard time believing that that guy was really suffering 100 meters into a TT. :rolleyes:
Me too.

According to this, he had the second best time split at the first check and the best at the third. So if he was suffering from 100 meters into it, he must have been on the verge of death between the halfway and the third time check.

Larsson faded in the fourth quarter (went from 6 seconds ahead to 33 seconds behind) so perhaps there is something to what I wrote above. The other possibility is that Cancellara went very hard at the end, which would also make sense since he started out slower than Larsson and Contador. He "saved" it up and "dumped" what he had left at the end.

Cancellara is a freight train.

If you watch him enough, his favourite move is the 1-2 km out attack. I figure he just goes right into VO2Max power at that point, rolling at about 50 kph - enough to get over the line without fading.

simplyred said:
Cancellara is a freight train.

If you watch him enough, his favourite move is the 1-2 km out attack.
Yes, of course. He did it in a TdF stage in 2006 and also I believe at Milan-San Remo this year. He did somethig similar from farther out a few days ago to bridge to the winning break in the Olympic Road Race.

simplyred said:
I figure he just goes right into VO2Max power at that point, rolling at about 50 kph - enough to get over the line without fading.
At the end of the race, his efforts have been less than 2 minutes so I would bet it's more like L6.

Piotr said:
He who suffers the latest probably wins. ;) Besides, there's really no suffering in cycling or we wouldn't be doing it. :)
...which is why many here are sitting in front of their computers, and not at the Olympics.

There is no easy way around it. Go make it hurt.

I'm saving my best stuff for when it really matters (like being chased by a bengal tiger). :D

Hi

daveryanwyoming said:
Do ya suppose that's what happened to Rappdaddyo, the tiger finally caught up with him???
I too was wondering what happened to RD, I read many of his postings and I found them, like yours, very informative. I hope he's Ok.

PBUK

Re RD, I had an offline e-mail exchange with him when he was still active around here, so I had his real name and an e-mail address for him.

I sent him an e-mail recently to see what's up, but there was no response. I also hope he's okay.